Author Topic: whats the going rate?  (Read 1733 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
whats the going rate?
« on: March 05, 2007, 18:48:23 »
Could anyone give me some idea what the current going rate is for general gardening work these days. I have just been asked to do some general gardening work for a neighbour who has just inherited a property he intends to sell on. The garden needs tidying up to help sell it, and he has asked me to sort it out for him.

Thing is I cant afford to do it for nothing, but have no idea what to charge for doing the work. Can anyone make any suggestions? I am not even sure whether to charge on a hourly or daily.

I'd be gratefull for any advice. Thanks.

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
Re: whats the going rate?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 18:56:40 »
Depending on where you are, GC, you can charge anything between 15 and 35 pound per hour.
It also depends on what work is involved, if it is a one off or a regular maintenance task.
There is no real "going rate", it also depends on how much the punter is willing to pay.
The old saying, "pay peanuts, you get monkeys" comes to mind.
In my area, near Heathrow Airport, the competition is bad. The "POLES" will work for £2.50 an hour, but the quality of the work is ?????
Play it by ear really, negotiate, put a price on it and enjoy.
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 19:41:53 »
My brother charges over £20 an hour and has to turn people away because he's so busy!!  Why did I do 3 years training for £10/hour!!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 19:58:10 »
Well, I pay £9 an hour to a (very polite & pleasant) Brazilian lady to do my cleaning. She speaks barely any English & cleaning isn't exactly in the "Highly Skilled" employment sector. So, I would guess at least double - even if part of the work is menial, you should charge at the rate of your maximum required expertise.

Because of what I do for a living (financial advice), I frequently get annoyed by people who would never dream of stealing a penny from you or anyone else, but think of your time as free and don't realise they are using up my only real commodity (well, I also have a little knowledge but it's mostly time!).

Unless they're particularly skint or unable, or you are particularly fond of them or rich yourself, you shouldn't have any reservations about charging.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 10:29:39 »
Thanks all. Doesnt really help that much though. Its a bit awkward, considering the chap is a neighbour who we have known for years. My dillemma is that on the one hand i dont want to appear greedy, but on the other i dont want to sell myself short, and end up slogging my guts out for little return. Like i say i have not done this before, so am a bit in unknown territory.

I was thinking something along the lines of £10 per hour or £50 per day (equivalent of 5 hours at £10 per hour). Sound reasonable?

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 10:31:09 »
I used to pay £20/hour which is going back 10 years ago!!!

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 10:51:47 »
how many days do you think it will take to do all the work? might be easier to agree a sum for the whole job, i.e. it'll take 5 days, so £500 wouldn't be an unreasonable sum to ask for. then it's up to you how many hours you do: if you work 5 hours a day you'll be getting £20 an hour, if you work more the hourly rate will go down.

£100 a day sounds pretty reasonable to me, and although I've never hired any builders, plasterers, etc, it must be roughly equivalent to what they'd charge. depends too on the work involved. if it's chopping down trees, weeds and shrubs then it might be considered less "skilled" than pruning, planting, etc. that requires a bit more plant knowledge.

I think £10 per hour is selling yourself a bit short! I'd say ask for at least £15.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 11:29:28 »
GC when you say you havent done this before - does this mean that you are unfamiliar with the work?

Most people who charge big bucks charge high rates because due to the skills they have can get the job done efficiently and correctly. (Solicitors excepted!)
This makes the comment of charging for the job seem reasonable.

What do you do as a day job? perhaps you could charge the same.

Also bear in mind that the "proffesionals" also charge the higher rates because of the overheads - such as income tax, NI, insurance etc

As a rule I do a lot of computer work at low rates just because people wont pay anymore but even though Im selling myself short £50 earnt at a bad rate is still £50 that I wouldnt have made!

Good luck its always a hard decision knowing what to charge people you know - better dealing with strangers :D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 11:49:49 »
In 'the Country', it is typically £10/hr for a 'professional'.

I have a village person a day per week for the stuff that's beyond me.

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 12:53:38 »
In 'the Country', it is typically £10/hr for a 'professional'.

I have a village person a day per week for the stuff that's beyond me.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 13:04:22 »
Charges depend on where you are and who you're working for.
I used to do gen. garden work in the 70's for a lady with a hugh house and a Bentley in the garage...I charged her £4 an hour, (daily pay then was averaging "20). But I also used to do odd jobs for people in my village at £2.50 an hour.
These days I would say not less than £10 an hour. Bare in mind that if you don't do the job, then he's going to probably pay even more to someone else. Put it to him, mention you're looking for around £12 ( or the price you're thinking of) but make a final price of £2 less...that way you get your bit and he's happy with the discount!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 13:35:32 »
Richard, it is what I now do for a living.  My rate is £12 an hour, or if someone wants a full days work - a one off, then I negotiate a price depending on how much work I think there will be.  Consider the fact that you may have to remove everything you clear, again, on your time.  I also work for a company, and he pays me £8 an hour, but I do get my travelling paid and perks like plants and compost when he is doing gardens and bulk orders and usually he takes me so I don't have to pay fuel.  He charges £15 per hour.  It is the removal of stuff that people don't take into consideration, so please bear that in mind.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 13:41:26 »
RiIt is the removal of stuff that people don't take into consideration, so please bear that in mind.

EJ beat me to it, That's just what I was going to say.

There's a man in our area who's quite skilled and charges £100 per day, but also charges separately for disposal costs.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 15:48:59 »
If this is extra cash that you would not have usually earned. Treat yourself to something for the house or garden that you could not really justify spending out of the housekeeping. Then charge him that amount, I expect you will forget to inform  the taxman (cough), so a lower rate can be negotiated If it is just a tidy up don't apply the standards you would in your own garden, after all new owners like to make the garden their own.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 22:12:52 »
I understand your dilemma and I certainly sympathise. I'll leave the exact sum to those with more expertise, but I'd look again at your own postings for the price formula...

On the one hand:

Its a bit awkward, considering the chap is a neighbour who we have known for years. My dillemma is that on the one hand i dont want to appear greedy, but on the other i dont want to sell myself short, and end up slogging my guts out for little return.

but on the other:

a neighbour who has just inherited a property he intends to sell on. The garden needs tidying up to help sell it

Just remember that the value of your work should be gauged by the contribution it'll make to the outcome (i.e. your neighbour's ability to sell the house), and priced accordingly.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

beachlover

• Not So New ...
  • Isle of Wight
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 22:24:16 »
Isn't there a saying about never working for friends and neighbours.
He has asked you, because he wants cheap and intends to make a profit on the sale.
Either do it for nothing and make him feel really bad for the rest of his time as your neighbour, if he doesn't recompense you of his own free will, or tell him you are too busy but give him someone out of yellow pages and see if he comes back with an offer.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 13:06:45 »
Firstly, many thanks for your replies and help.

In response to requests for more information, when i said i hadnt done anything like this before, i meant do gardeing for money, not the actual gardening work! I have for some years worked in and renovated my parents garden in part payment for bed and board. I have never actualy done a gardening job for a direct financial return.

I am though looking to do more of this to generate an income which has been lacking slightly of late. I consider myself a talented gardener, and hve wanted fro some time to use these skills (and college training) to generate an income.

I have now seen the garden (this morning). it is a rather nice garden in itself (even nicer house in a coastal setting), the late owner was apparently quite keen on his garden, until age and health prevented him doing much to the garden. Consequently its just got out of hand a bit. Mostly shrubs (planted i think a bit too close together originaly), but also a rose bed, lawns and a fishpond (full of what looks like parrot feather weed). Fortunately not much weed, since many of the areas are mulched with landscape fabric and bark chips. So basicaly just a good sort out and cut back and make io look neat again. Straight forward enough.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 13:39:22 »
I would find out the going rate for gardeners in your area and charge him a couple of quid less an hour than that as 'mates rates'. As he is developing the property the garden is an important selling feature so it's well worth him paying you good money to a good job. If he's a canny man, he'll know he's getting a good deal and probably won't quibble as much as you might think.
Also, it depends what he wants you to do. If it's a quick tidy up and removal of rubbish then give him a whole price quote. (Based on the amount of hours you think it will take you.) If it's going to be fairly ongoing, with some planting/landscaping then give him an hourly or daily rate, but don't accept financial responsibility for shifting any rubbish.
It's also a nice opportunity for you to flex your gardening muscles and have a go at a garden.  :)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 18:19:43 »
What i am offering really is my time and skills - i have had a good look around and identified about 80 - 90% of the plants, so i know what needs doing to them. Apparently disposal of waste isnt a problem, as they already have a skip available from clearing the house, and will be getting another one once that one is full up. So i havent got to factor in waste disposal. At present i havent even got transport expenses. Client is at the property most days and being my next door neighbour, getting a lift to the property is not going to be a problem. Most of the tools i need I already have and are easily carried in a holdall (pruning saw, secateurs, hand trowel,ahnd fork etc), anything else is either on  site or can be transported down as and when needed.

To that end i have offered to do the work for £50 per day (based on a 5 hour day at £10 per hour), hoping this wouldnt sound too much to the client. I know what you are going to say, i should be charging more but I feel this is reasonable considering the work involved, and considering my overheads for the job are quite low. Might think about extras if anything unexpected crops up.

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 21:02:57 »
i think the £50 is reasonable and that would equate to someone who would have to charge £13.50 if they were (ahem) remebering to pay tax and NI (possibly also insurance, tools, a van, advertising etc) therefore I reckon you and your neighbour are both getting a good deal. Just remember that if you were to take on more work like this you would have to pay those overheads and charge somewhere in the region of £15 to take home a tenner.

Also bear in mind the minimum wage is £5.30 (ish - i think) you are obviously skilled so dont sell yourself too short.

Glow

PS any chance you want your PC fixing ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal