Author Topic: Panettone  (Read 3270 times)

Alimo

• Acre
Panettone
« on: December 19, 2010, 18:13:21 »
After listening to R4 this morning, I decided to give this a go....

It's still rising before baking, but smells lovely.

Alison

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Panettone
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 18:21:17 »
I love panettone. We always have it for breakfast round about Xmas. This year I've been given some from Valvona and Crolla (posh Edinburgh Italian deli) but I've not started it yet.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 18:23:08 »
I love it too.

We only seem to see it around Christmas time here but it's on sale all the year round in Sicily. 

There are so many different varieties but my favourite is the one with dried fruit and candied peel.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 18:40:07 »
yep, listened to the food prog on R4 as well!!
You couldn't make it up!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 19:05:12 »
And the leftovers (if there are any) make a cracking bread and butter pudding, eh Grommit. ;D

valmarg

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 19:44:28 »
It is delicious but like a lot of Christmas and Easter specials heavy. I too have had to make it into a bread and butter pudding to use it up.

A shame, but tastes have changed and we are into healthy

So now it is fruit salad people seem to prefer as a desert.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 19:48:27 by PurpleHeather »

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 20:38:00 »
Well - I'm very happy with it. 

My husband has started on it - so doubt if it'll last beyond Tuesday!

Alison

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 21:42:26 »
Gosh! There's not much panettone left over in this house! But then we wouldn't eat it as a dessert, more as a festive breakfast, like you'd have croissant aux amandes in France.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 21:58:37 »
I missed the programme. Can you give a quick recipe? Many thanks.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 23:20:01 »
I think this is the one ~ copied from the BBC www site.

Panettone recipe

Fred made panettone adapted from a recipe from Andrew Whitley's book 'Bread Matters'.

This recipe uses an overnight sponge, partly to enable the yeast to build up vigour before being mixed with ingredients like sugar and egg that it cannot metabolise, partly to improve natural flavour and keeping quality and partly to ensure, as prolonged fermentation does so well, that the bread is not just delicious but digestible and nutritious too.

The quantities below are enough to fill one normal size pannetone case. If you don’t have or can’t get old of such a thing, you can use a 5” (12.5 cm) cake hoop. Make a ring of stiff brown paper or thin corrugated cardboard about 6” (15 cm) high and stand this up inside the cake hoop. Line the stiff paper with a similar ring of baking parchment or silicone paper.

Flour: use the tastiest breadmaking flour you can find, preferably organic stoneground and not old. The egg and butter in the recipe help to produce good volume even with wholemeal.

12-24 hours before you want to make the Panettone dough, make a Sponge and soak a Fruit and Nut mixture:

Sponge
90 g Flour (strong bread flour, your favourite)
2 g Dried yeast (or 4 g of fresh)
65 g Water (at about 25°C, i.e. not very warm)
157 g Total
Dissolve the yeast in the water. Mix in the flour until it is all moistened and the dough is reasonably smooth. No need to knead. Cover with a polythene bag or similar and leave to ferment at normal kitchen temperature.

Fruit and Nut Mix
50 g Ginger (crystallised)
100 g Raisins or sultanas
25 g Lemon or orange zest
25 g Cranberries (dried)
50 g Flaked almonds
25 g Rum, brandy, other spirit or fruit juice
275 g Total
If you can’t get hold of all these ingredients (or don’t like some of them) improvise with what you have to hand. Chop any large fruits or nuts into slightly smaller chunks, put everything into a strong polythene bag, tie its neck and swirl it around a bit so that the liquid comes into contact with all the dry ingredients. Do this a couple of times over the soaking period if possible.

Then, in the morning...

The Main Dough
150 g Sponge (from above)
110 g Flour (strong bread flour)
50 g Butter (or olive oil)
35 g Raw cane sugar
50 g Egg (i.e. 1 medium egg)
275 g Fruit & Nut Mix (from above)
670 g Total

Add the flour, egg, sugar and butter to the sponge and mix until everything is combined well. Knead (or mix in a machine) for as long as it takes to develop a soft, silky dough in which the butter (or margarine) shows as a glossy sheen on the surface. This could take up to 20 minutes by hand, so take it slowly. If the dough feels stiff and unforgiving, add a little water as you go along. The end result should be a dough that is markedly softer than an ordinary bread dough.

Put the dough in a bowl, cover well and allow it to ferment. It will take some time for the yeast to start working again, so allow two hours in a fairly warm place. By this time, the dough should have increased in size considerably. If it hasn’t, leave it for longer. If it suits your schedule, you may at this point ‘knock it back’, i.e. press all the accumulated gas out of it and allow it another hour or two to rise again.

Using a light dusting of flour on work surfaces and hands, tip the dough out on to the table. Stretch it gently out into a rectangle about 25 cm (10”) x 20 cm (8”). Spread the soaked fruit and nut mix over almost all the surface. Roll the dough up carefully, turn it through 90 degrees and roll it gently up again, taking care not to force the fruit through the surface. The aim is even distribution, but it is better to leave the dough a bit lumpy than to work it so much that you end up with a mess.

Shape the loaf into a round whose top has as few piece of fruit protruding as possible and place it in your panettone case or lined cake hoop. Cover (without letting the covering touch the dough) and allow to rise until the dough, when pressed gently with a finger, feels delicate and unlikely to spring back very quickly.

Bake in a moderate oven (about 180°C/350°F) for 30-40 minutes depending on your oven. The loaf will take colour on the surface on account of the sugar and butter in the dough, so make sure that it is baked through before removing it from the oven. This is best done by pushing a skewer into the loaf as you would to test a cake: it should come out clean. For the technically equipped, the temperature at the centre of the loaf should reach about 95°C by the time it is done.

Let your Panettone cool before slicing. Serve it with a cup of tea or coffee. It doesn’t need extra butter, but it’s best enjoyed with good company.

If everyone who makes or shares this loaf joins the Real Bread Campaign, we’ll be on our way to a new era in British bread – which would be something well worth celebrating.

www.realbreadcampaign.org
www.breadmatters.com

Books featured on the programme
Delizia: A history of Italians and their food by John Dickie

Bread Matters by Andrew Whitley

Broadcasts
Sun 19 Dec 201012:32BBC Radio 4Mon 20 Dec 201016:00BBC Radio 4More details
A programme from
Food Programme
Duration
30 minutes
More from BBC Radio 4
Genre:
Factual Food & Drink Format: Magazines & Reviews Person: dillon, sheila Subjects: cakes christmas food
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 21:35:52 »
It is delicious but like a lot of Christmas and Easter specials heavy. I too have had to make it into a bread and butter pudding to use it up.
A shame, but tastes have changed and we are into healthy.
So now it is fruit salad people seem to prefer as a desert.

Not in this house at this time of year.  Comfort food ++ ;D

Jam roly poly, spotted dick, treacle suet pudding, etc. ;D, lashings of whipped cream or custard.  Drool. ;D

Fruit salad at this time of year is so bland.  Mainly imported apple, orange, grapes and banana, with a bit of pinapple (probably tinned).  Fruit salad is for summer with home grown strawberries and raspberries, cherries (if you've managed to keep the blackbirds off). ;D

valmarg

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 23:18:33 »
Many thanks for that, DE!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal