Author Topic: Killers  (Read 4636 times)

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
Killers
« on: February 07, 2009, 16:56:11 »
Yet another baby torn to pieces by 'family pets'.

How many more young lives have to be lost before the keeping of these killers is banned.

mike77

• Half Acre
Re: Killers
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 18:02:57 »
i'm going to make an assumption that you are pointing the finger at the staffordshire bull terrier breed when you say "killers" and not the dear old adorable jack russell?.
i am a very proud owner of an adorable loving and might i add gentle stafford and it really frustrates me when people refer to them as "devil dogs" or in your case "killers".
it is tragic that a young child has been killed and my heart goes out to the family but you can't tar a whole breed with the same brush.
if you do a little search on stafford's you will find that the kennel club refers to them as "the nanny dog" because of their gentle ways with children.
my friends kids play with mine all the time when they come round and far from trying to kill them all she wants to do is lick their ears and play with her toys!.
are you now going to label jack russels as killers? lets be honest a poodle is capable of killing a child what would you say if that happened?.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 18:34:29 »
Some dogs are bred purely for their fighting abilities, pit bulls and rottweilers spring to mind immediately, but while Staffies look fierce, and are indeed very strong, powerful dogs, their temperament is generally 'soft as a brush', this is from somebody who used to despise them.

I venture to suggest that the temperament of a jack russell is probably worse.

Accidents happen, and you can't ban everything.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 18:35:58 »
I firmly believe no-one should ever trust any dog 100%.Not fair to the dog. You can't read it's mind and you can never assume it likes everything we do or say. We've always had dogs, sometimes two together.We've been very lucky to have dogs with non aggresive natures. All have been rescue dogs and all different breeds. The children were never left unsupervised with them, and if we weren't happy the dog was taken out of the equation. It's vital to teach youngsters to respect animals. When I was small I was bitten by our Retriever. I got a telling off as I had teased her with a biscuit.She got a wallop. Lesson learned by me.I cried because I was responsible for her getting a whack.

I feel so very sad for the family, but I can't help thinking about the Grandmother, she must feel about as bad as you possibly can.
Smile, it confuses people.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 18:42:43 »
Yes I'm with you there Emaggie, all dogs are potential killers, it is up to the owners to try to nurture a dog that is under control and parents to instill a healthy caution in children once they get to a cerain age.

I love my retriever implicitly, he has never shown any agression to anyone, would I trust him with an infant?  No, not ever.

And to answer another point, I'd trust a Staffie over a Jack Russell any day of the week.
Best laid plans and all that

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 18:57:17 »
Rottweilers are a cattle herding breed. used by the police and fire service on the continent. they were used as herding dogs for centuries, the romans used them! they got their name from the town of rottweil, in germany, where the railhead and cattle yards were. the dogs would herd cattle for hundreds of miles to the rail head, and then be abandoned there. so many got left that the breed got it's name from the town  they are a Mastiff type, gentle as a lamb by nature, any one that is not like this has been abused. they like to walk a minimum of 5 miles per day, a lady with a riding school reckons her rottie does 30 miles per day! Just because they are a big dog, it does not make them killers, it's the owners that are the issue!! 
You couldn't make it up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 19:40:06 »
I must answer this thread, having another, very loving, mad as a brush staffie..she'd rather lick than bite..a beautiful nature.
I never leave her in the room with my grandson..not because of her but we had a 9 month old highland terrier when my eldest was 18 months..I stepped over the gate into the kitchen, heard it snap, twice, and found it had ripped part of my son's nose off and nearly blinded him..he had to have 22 stitches in his little face so, it's not just big dogs  :-\
we were told by the vet it had been too closely bred  :-\

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 19:50:56 »
My parents bought a Rough Collie pup in the 80's.  He was a beautiful dog, Lassie type but boy he could not be trained.  At around a year old he started to attack my Dad.  In fact Dad couldn't pull the curtains, put coal on the fire and Rory attacked him, teeth bared.  In the end, he had to be put to sleep.  Vet said he was too closely bred.  I do feel for the Grandmother in this case.  so sad. for them all.

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 19:56:28 »
I don't have a dog and never have had one. I am not  a person that likes animals for several reasons. They moult their coats everywhere, they need to be 'cleared up' after and I would not trust even the most docile of dogs with children. Although I don't like animals, I would never mistreat one or would never like to see one suffer. My thoughts on this tragic incident is that perhaps the dog was jealous of the grandmother's attention on the grandchild. Attention that would have normally been made on the dog. Sometimes I have found that dog owners are too quick to say that their animal wouldn't harm a fly. Like humans dogs can turn at any time. with the most tragic of consequences.There is nothing more precious than our children so we should always err on the side of caution, Children need to be bought up around dogs but as someone else said, they must be taught to treat them with respect. My heart goes out to the parents and to the grandparent. I doubt that they will ever be able to forgive themself for this. I have a young grandson and find myself on edge if I take him to the park especially when a loose dog bounds over and the owner says' Don't worry he won't touch the baby' How can they guarantee this? Sorry if my reply offends any dog owners, it is not intended, just my views on this situation.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 19:59:42 »
I would not trust any dog with a child.

I adore my dogs but I know they would find the attentions of very young children confusing as they have little experience of them,apart from odd visits from the grandchildren.

My collie probably would be OK but not my west Highland Terrier.She has an unpredictable nature.A lot of terriers are this way.

Best not to risk it in my opinion. :)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 20:04:43 »
Carol,you mentioned pulling the curtains,My westie can not stand us pulling the blinds she jumps up our legs barking,we have tried all sorts but she still does it,have to remember to close the door on her before we pull them now.

Would love to know why she does this. ???

thespade08

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 20:27:39 »
I don't have a dog and never have had one. I am not  a person that likes animals for several reasons. They moult their coats everywhere, they need to be 'cleared up' after

So why not shave them.......or wear marigolds  ;D
I came,isaw,I ran

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 20:34:21 »
As I said I would never be cruel to an animal. Obviously you would. :(

thespade08

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 20:38:28 »
As I said I would never be cruel to an animal. Obviously you would. :(

In actual fact jean i have 2 dogs one a border collie and a labrador cross which i clean up after and that includes
moulting hair and their crap.....these dogs are healthy and have been no way harmed in the production of this reply
 ;D ;D
I came,isaw,I ran

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 20:44:00 »
Jeanbean, don't be offended. Thespade08 was being amusing.
We can't all be animal lovers. Those of us that do make up for those of us that don't.  ;)
Smile, it confuses people.

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 20:50:09 »
Emagggie that is such a true saying. As my old dad yous to say 'It takes allsorts to make Bassetts'. I wasn't offended just a bit taken back by the suggestions.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 21:25:41 »
Absolutely agree that children should never be left alone with any dog. My KC Spaniel adores the Grandchildren. 2 of my Granddaughters (7&9) love feeding Elsa with her small bits of Bakers but never unless I am in the room. When the 2 little Grandchildren come Elsa is put out the room, she is too boisterous with them.
As for not liking animals I don't like cats, would never harm them and when my husband was alive we always had at least one, he loved all animals. I always said flipping things get fed before I even have my first cuppa, can't bear it when they get on my lap or rub round my legs!!!!
I am cat sitter from 14th for a week when young Lorna (next door) with Joshua and Joshua's Dad go to Las Vegas. I will worry about Laura if I let her out and she doesn't come when I call her so I will be back and forwards until she is back indoors.
My heart goes out to the family, so very sad.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 22:27:53 »
"Gwent Police family liaison officers are currently supporting and assisting the family through this difficult time.

"The family wish to be left alone to grieve.

"Although the exact circumstances of the baby's death are yet to be established, we would like to reiterate the advice given to dog owners that dogs should never be left unsupervised with young children at any time."

The message is the same every time. When are people going to learn. All dogs are capable of killing, that's how they get food in the wild. When we domesticate them, they still retain their instincts. Much as we love our Terriers, we are always mindfull of what they are capable of. Sorry if this sounds a little terse but they are just the facts. My heartfelt condolences go to the family.

Peasticks

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 22:38:20 »
I love my dog and he is very well trained but I would never leave him alone with a child, my chickens or even in a shut room with my cats - the chase and hunt instinct is just so strong in many dogs.

Neither of these dogs are the type normally blamed for this sort of tragedy but many family pets are given trust because they are so soppy and I'm afraid its better not to take the risk

This case is a tragedy, I really feel for the family.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 23:17:59 »
I know of two dogs (separated by many years and miles and different breeds) that have for no apparent reason turned on a companion dog and savaged it to death.  Both dogs were put to sleep immediately.

Dogs and children should never be left alone together.  Dogs need discipline and clear concise commands.  Children make random sounds and movements which can confuse and threaten a dog.
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal