Produce > Recipes

Freezing Herbs

<< < (2/2)

Palefire:
Thanks Guys (and Gals!). It is a shop bought plant that I haven't picked from recently and it is starting to age. I don't have a great need for it at the moment, so I wanted to pick off the growth and freeze it as I don't want to just cob the plant. It is doing relly well on the kitchen window sill. I'll only be using it for flavouring, so I think I'll freeze the leaves and crumble in as required.

Love, Palefire

xxx

Hyacinth:
Sue, I don't know when I last bothered to try to grow basil(without a g/house)..always buy the 'growing herbs' and split the container into 2/3  and they go great guns...try to keep them producing in the kitchen, but there comes a time when it's 'goodbye'; they've given really great value from one 69p pot (bought at reduced price :D)..I've had a go at the old pestle-&mortar trick & put them in oil & kept them in the fridge for a while - up to 2 wks? (and not got sick) & also put them under white wine vinegar? and frozen them..honestly, tho, for 69p prefer to buy the fresh stuff & it's always available at my local Co-Op. Cheers, Lish

Palefire:
Hi Lish - nice to see you again. Yes, it's available at my local shop, but I felt a bit wasteful looking at the plant the other day and wondered about how to keep it without trying out any involved drying techniques! I don't really use much, just bought it for the tomato soup earlier in the year, but I do make spag bog and lasagnes, so it will come in for those.

Love, Palefire

xxx

gavin:
Hi Palefire - a salad from a beach restaurant in Senegal.

Sliced ripe tomatoes, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a good quantity of basil, drizzle with olive oil.  Why spoil a good salad by serving alongside anything else?

(But it is gorgeous with a macaroni cheese - and just about anything else, from a couple of slices of brown bread upwards)

Basil never last long enough in my house to be dried!

All best - Gavin

Suze_O:
Palefire

Try some Thai recipes, you can decimate a large plant in two evenings!!

Thai basil chicken for example.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version