Author Topic: The Joe Swift allotment saga  (Read 18739 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
The Joe Swift allotment saga
« on: April 19, 2008, 13:52:49 »
I have noticed we seem to have two threads going on basically the same subject so I thought it might be best if we narrowed it down to one as it seems it is going to be a good talking point on this forum for quite a while.

I don't know if the best way is to move both the other threads over to one dedicated to the subject, or start another what do you think Dan?

I think it is going to be a good subject for bouncing blame/credit as the case may be against the media, who after all, are only after ratings through entertainment and not educating those people they are supposedly targetting.

Before closing I must say this; I have to admire Joe for putting himself in such an invidious position.

I don't think he can really win but he has had the courage to put himself forward for public scrutiny.

Well done Joe!!

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
Re: The Joe Swift allotment saga
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 14:19:18 »
Hear hear it,s got me watch (bits of) gardeners world anyway
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 14:57:30 »
i have to say i have been offered many things by fellow allotmenteers in my time but i have never had someone dig up two rows of crops for me to replant.  :D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 16:34:54 »
Some people do anything to get into telly... ::)
Giving some garlic away...my gum... :o

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 17:24:40 »
I think its great... !!   Its clear he hasnt a clue and niether did I 6 months ago.... he is making the same mistakes that I did, and most people here who started out..... excitement takes over from the CORRECT WAY TO DO EVERYTHING....

So GOOD LUCK JOE!!!!... Right behind you mate!!!.... stuff the know it alls who just keep complaining he isnt doing things right, im sure they didnt when they started out... how many times does Monty have to say Joe has no clue what he is doing.... till it sinks in thats why the BBC are following it all.... its about LEARNING!!!!!

Obviously those who think everything has been done for him etc should put their glasses and look at the dates on the video camera and the photos that he has been taking for his own diary.   He has had his mates help him... but one person here cant tell me you havent had a mate help you put up a shed, or help you dig.... coz I know my pals have come round and got stuck in!!!.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 17:48:45 »
And he did say it's now been 7 weeks since hetook it on,so he's not pretending he's done it quickly!

I thi nk we're up to four or five threads now, TeeGee!

bluehousehill

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 18:00:21 »
I like watching Joe he aint got a clue but I dont think he is supposed to. I havent either so its good to watch him with all his enthusiam and so he got a free bit of wood, I did to and I dont get why peeps are moaning its good to see a lottie on the tele.

He comes across as a good laugh as well. If I had Monty's number i would call him up as well. This reminds me a bit like the old boy next too me who kind of gives advice but deep down I get the impression he wants me to muck up...

Keep going Joe and good on ya!!
Ní hé lá na gaoithe lá na scolb.
A windy day is not the day to be fixing your thatch (roof).

thegreatgardener

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 19:18:32 »
What I find interesting is joe did not bother to go though 3 or 4 of great vegetable gardening books. So he could make a really good go at it. But maybe he is to cocky to do the most basic research on the subject.

Tee Gee
think it is going to be a good subject for bouncing blame/credit as the case may be against the media, who after all, are only after ratings through entertainment and not educating those people they are supposedly targetting.

teegee
reminds me of your website more entertainment then real information. 
Also there only one t in "targeting".

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 19:36:24 »
What I find interesting is joe did not bother to go though 3 or 4 of great vegetable gardening books. So he could make a really good go at it. But maybe he is to cocky to do the most basic research on the subject.

Tee Gee
think it is going to be a good subject for bouncing blame/credit as the case may be against the media, who after all, are only after ratings through entertainment and not educating those people they are supposedly targetting.

teegee
Joe reading gardening books - now that really would be good TV  ::)  I should think he has read a book or two, just not on camera.  Should we have 24hr Joe's Allotment TV just so we can check everything he is or isn't doing? We would need a red button facility so we can have a camera follow Joe everywhere and another one permanently on the allotment so we could choose what we monitor.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 21:19:32 »
coz I know my pals have come round and got stuck in!!!.

That's right. I invited my mate to dinner one Sunday... Gave him a cheese roll, a paint brush and a gallon of creosote for the shed :)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 21:22:51 »
Yep, most of my mates have been handed a spade or a fork over the last few months rofl!  :)  I call it payment for all those "5 minute" computer jobs I keep getting landed with that take me days to sort out!!!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 21:44:50 »
just had a thought  ::) I am not a betting person but I would like to lay a bet
on there being a joes allotment book in the offing
another thought ::) somebody seems to be baiting our mine of information tee gee, not nice tut tut
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 22:53:49 »
somebody seems to be baiting our mine of information tee gee, not nice tut tut

I dont understand? I feel I have missed something ???............please do tell. Tee Gee is our man, oh and possibly his wife's occasionally ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 08:55:56 »

i think you are right manics i think there will be a joes allotment book out just in time for christmas.  ;)

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 09:03:37 »
THe only  thing that I find funny is all the free stuff he has been getting.  Look at the wood in the first esisode he got for his raised beds, immaculat condition with bar codes still on them that smelled a bit funny to me, and also that the fresh compost was dumped right next to his site, plus the woodchip, it just all seems a bit wrong to me, I think I need to go to his site cause they sure get better treatment than we all do in swindon.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 09:11:36 »

teegee

dont really think that was necesary  - we all have gained from teegee's wealth of knowledge, (particularily flowers for me) - but then what can you expect from someone who calls themselves "the great gardener"

PS the above may Kontain spelllling mistakes but i just dont care!

peterwaters

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 09:17:09 »
The wood was a bit lucky. But I live a quarter of a mile from Joe's allotment and the local council do deliver free compost and wood chippings if you phone them up.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 09:18:58 »
The wood was a bit lucky. But I live a quarter of a mile from Joe's allotment and the local council do deliver free compost and wood chippings if you phone them up.

So does our town council up the road.... a point I have been trying to get across on several occasions lol.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 09:19:59 »
I agree glow, mind you there seem to be quite a few personal attacks going on of late.  If it hadn't have been for TeeGee my marigolds would have been dead in the water!  Keep going TeeGee we love ya!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 09:26:19 »
I wish I could speak to my local council on the phone, I have left  the allotment person tons of messages but no replies, the funny thing is that I work for the council in another dept and I still can't get anywhere about free compost and wood chips lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal