Author Topic: buying a bread maker – advice please!  (Read 4511 times)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
buying a bread maker – advice please!
« on: May 18, 2007, 13:28:03 »
I've been reading up on here about these, and am sorely tempted.
I've only tried my hand at baking a couple of times, and it all ended in disaster ;D so a bread maker sounds like the ideal solution!
asked my OH's opinion on it last night and he said he thought it would be one of those kitchen gadgets that gets used 3 times, then the novelty wears off and it ends up cluttering up the kitchen cupboard, next to the toasted sandwich maker.
(translation: I'll only use it 3 times, he'll never touch it, then I'll get bored with it 'cos I'm faddy ::))
but reading about how you can set it up before you go to bed then wake up to a freshly baked loaf is ever so tempting :)

Supersprout posted info about the top 3 as voted for by Which:
Panasonic SD253 £90
Morphy Richards Cooltouch Fastbake 48280 £40
Team International BBA52 Rapido £50

the general opinion seems to be that the panasonic is the best, but I wondered if anyone had the morphy richards and if so how good is it (given that it's half the price of the panasonic!)?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: buying a bread maker – advice please!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 14:01:56 »
NL, I have the panasonic and can highly recommend it! ;D

The novelty of daily baked did wear off, (Made the mistake of taking it off the kitchen counter and putting in a cupboard!!)but having said that, I still use it at least a couple of times a week, and the nut/seed dispenser is a great addition cos you don't have to worry about chucking them in at the right time, it does it for you!

I bit the bullet and went for the more expensive panasonic after reading up on it on the net.

Not a lot of help to you though on your Morphy Richards question tho sorry! :-\
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 14:24:18 by Doris_Pinks »
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 14:19:34 »
The Panasonic.....I had borrowed several from friends over time to try before I committed myself. Arms were letting me down and I needed something to help out now and again. Personally I thought they were all rubbish till I borrowed the Panasonic . As far as I am concerened this is the only one . I haver had mine 4 years now, it is used 3 or 4 times a week. My test was a sprouted wheat granary loaf (that is a good test)  and it came out light as air.  Amazon was cheapest by far then

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 14:21:26 »
sorry can't comment on any of yours although mine is older morphy richards and very good. No fancy bits like seed dispenser which i now want! After the novelty wore off it's use has declined a bit but i do still use it quite a bit. I have found them excellent for pizza bases - put in before school run and ready to go by the time i get home- brilliant.  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 14:34:11 »
We've had a Morphy Richards fastbake for a couple of years - no real problems with it but we haven't used any other to compare it against.

It gets used quite a lot between diets (i.e. just about never!)
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 14:36:20 »
I do get fed up cleaning the pan and measuring out the ingredients but its worth it the bread is alot better and better for you. I bake a loaf every day in a panasonic that we only paid £20, since having it 4 years we have had to buy a new pan.

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 15:15:44 »
Panasonic with seed dispenser- brill!!! ;)
Cost just under £100

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 15:17:29 »
My vote goes to the Panasonic with nut dispenser too.  Often set it on delayed timer to finish cooking around 6am.  Then we all wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread.  Great start to the day.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 17:01:14 »
The Panasonic is in this house as well and gets used quite a bit when OH takes the notion for toast in the morning. It has never let us down and we have had it a few years now.  I prefer my Warburtons but then I am a faddy eater but I do enjoy the smell of baked bread when he makes it overnight and I come through to it in the morning.   Go for it, buy one........

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 17:08:50 »
thanks all for your thoughts so far, they're much appreciated :)

have just scampered to Debenhams as they've got a sale on at the moment and guess what?!?
all their bread makers have been destroyed in a freak accident :o
apparently they were all stacked up against one wall and there was a flood on the floor above... typical ::)

has anyone used a bread maker to make tiger bread?
if they can make tiger bread then my OH will be convinced ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 17:23:22 »
Try Amazon, they won't caharge you postage.

Re having to weigh out stuff.

I buy my flours in a millers sack and make my own bread kits every so often, about 20 at time, everything goes in but the oil and water.

20 seconds flat, open machine, add bag of mix,  add oil and water press the button. Go out!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 17:34:49 »
What a good idea Jeannine!!! ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 19:15:38 »
ours is a cheapo from asda, brilliant machine, nothing fancy 'though..
but, the best thing I have is a book called..one hundred bread machine recipes by vicki smallwood...don't know about tiger bread but there's a mean recipe for blueberry and almond loaf that's lovely..
we use the machine lots for dough for pizzas, pittas and naan bread

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 19:49:36 »
Wow, you've inspired me to get ours out of the cupboard, where it's been since we moved in last June  :o  I'd forgotten how gorgeous the smell of fresh bread is at 6.30am  ;D

Great idea too Jeannine about making up the kits  ;)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 21:27:07 »
Jeannine do you add yeast as well to your kits? I buy a 25g packet of yeast that stays in the fridge.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 22:32:11 »
Yes, I put in the 2  flours,salt,sugar,powdered milk,yeast  and ascorbic acid. I just add the water and oil before I bake. The yeast is fine, I have never had it not rise. I buy it in larger amounts,I can't be fussing with little packages.

XX Jeannine

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 22:39:39 »
not sure which one we have but its fairly basic..

I think you should try freecycle as there are usualy a few pop up there, that way you can get the feel for one without having to spend money.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 09:23:21 »
Ive got a basic one - but it does have a jam function - only makes 1 jar of jam but we don't eat lots of jam so there would be no point in making 40 jars.

Mine is a Morphy Richards - the jam and bread take less than 3 minutes effort once you get used to it. Also does the best sponges ever great accompaniment to excess fruit (with ice cream / custard). The only ting that annoys me is the hole in the bottom of the loaf!

Top tip would be to get one with a large pan and also buy an additional recipe book. Theres some really interesting breads out there - chili and sweetcorn (to go with clam chowder) anyone? :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 09:38:41 »
Oh Glow, did you have to mention clam chowder. my favourite and no more can I run down to the beach and collect my clams, I shall sulk all day now XX Jeannine

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 08:03:09 »
I too would highly recommend the Panasonic. I got mine from Amazon, they delivered the next day!

I hope that helps!
barkingdog

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal