Author Topic: Urgent help please......chutney not thickening  (Read 49217 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Urgent help please......chutney not thickening
« on: October 28, 2008, 19:04:15 »
I have had my apple, marrow and plum chutney on for 7 hours now and it still isn't thick.  Is there anything I can add to help it please?  I don't know what I have done wrong.  It is Hugh FW's recipe shown here:

http://www.rivercottage.net/SeasonalRecipes~August/122/Glutney.aspx

I did use 50-50 wine and white vinegar as I didn't have any wine vinegar. 

The other problem is that it is very hot (spicy) as I added two teaspoons of chilli powder instead of sliced chilli.  I have some tins of tomatoes which might make it less hot but this will make it even more runny. 

Your advice would be very welcome please.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Urgent help please......chutney not thickening
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 19:07:05 »
I would think the wine would just evaporate Pauline.I tried to cook some chops in Cider once and it just kept going dry.

I am not a great cook. :)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 19:18:25 »
I suggest you go to the Delia on line message board and ask anastasia the chutney queen.   I am sure she could advise you.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 19:19:54 »
I have made over 70 jars of glutney from this recipe and it thickens as liquid reduces through evaporation (so dont cover with a lid)as it cools it does get a wee bit thicker but does not  get a set consistency, i use it to flavour stews casseroles and curries as well as with various cheeses and salads but you do need to leave it to mature, i also haven't 1 batch the same as the others they all differ but taste great
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 19:52:21 »
I agree with Hippydave Pauline, keep reducing. I spent 6 hours making tomato ketchup......and got one bottle!

Got loads of chutney though. It can take ages but it will get there ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 19:55:38 »
What about cost?Would not fancy running my electric cooker for seven hours.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 20:00:55 »
You could strain it, then reduce the liquid on a hotter temp, it will be less likely to catch and will evaporate quicker, then combine the solids and liquids again. It will taste less fiery when it has cooled down.
XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 22:35:51 »
Thank you all very much for your replies.  The chutney eventually went thicker and I took the plunge and put it in jars.

Hippydave, it was useful to know that you have used the same recipe and that it does not get to a set consistency.

Jeannine, it does taste a little less fiery now that it has cooled down.  I only hope that the flavour improves with keeping!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 16:52:21 »
Another tip is to buy a diffuser...the metal things that go under the pot. I have found it works for me. That way you can increase your flame under the pot without the risk of you chutney burning. Also ....a tall pot takes longer for chutney to reduce..using a preserving pan gives you a wider surface area and faster reduction.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 19:35:51 »
I used the glutney recipe and it worked very well, and is tasting more and more smooth yet interesting with age. It is thickish but not set like jelly or jam, of course.

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 19:44:37 »
I have had my apple, marrow and plum chutney on for 7 hours now and it still isn't thick.  Is there anything I can add to help it please?  I don't know what I have done wrong.  It is Hugh FW's recipe shown here:

The other problem is that it is very hot (spicy) as I added two teaspoons of chilli powder instead of sliced chilli.  I have some tins of tomatoes which might make it less hot but this will make it even more runny. 

lol i dont know what i have done wrong. hears a clue wine vinegar ... white vinegar    two teaspoons of chilli powder ... sliced chilly  it did make me smile sorrry
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 10:08:45 »

lol i dont know what i have done wrong. hears a clue wine vinegar ... white vinegar    two teaspoons of chilli powder ... sliced chilly  it did make me smile sorrry

Funnily enough it doesn't taste hot at all now.  It does have rather a bland taste though, probably due to the fact that I added extra sugar as I thought it might help thicken it.  Maybe it will improve with age....I hope so as I have 13 jars of it!! ;D

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 10:13:35 »
Pauline I know this is probably a bit late but, if you have cooked this recipe for 7 hours (OMG!! 7 Hours!!) my guess is you left the lid on the cooking pan?

If that is so then the excess liquid wouldnt be able to evaporate off so you tend to get a runny mix.

At the most this recipe should have taken only about 1 hour to cook and if you cook for that long the flavours disapear.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 10:24:35 »
Pauline I know this is probably a bit late but, if you have cooked this recipe for 7 hours (OMG!! 7 Hours!!) my guess is you left the lid on the cooking pan?

If that is so then the excess liquid wouldnt be able to evaporate off so you tend to get a runny mix.

At the most this recipe should have taken only about 1 hour to cook and if you cook for that long the flavours disapear.

I didn't have the lid on.  The recipe says simmer for 2 to 3 hours but as mine wasn't thickening I kept it on for longer.   It may have been something to do with the pan I used as it was a very large stainless steel stew pan.

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 13:54:43 »
i think if you cook anything for 7 hours it would tast mmmmmmmmm lets see burnt

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 14:47:27 »
i think if you cook anything for 7 hours it would tast mmmmmmmmm lets see burnt

It didn't burn at all as I had it on a very low simmer and stirred it frequently.

I did burn some a few years back and then called it "Barbecue flavoured chutney".  My son and his family really enjoyed it and every time I saw him he would ask if I had any more of it to give him.   ;D

shaun01

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 17:18:48 »
lol keep trying Pauline and let us know how you get on it may not be quiet right yet but very amusing good luck  :-*

robbo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 11:52:07 »

I did burn some a few years back and then called it "Barbecue flavoured chutney".  My son and his family really enjoyed it and every time I saw him he would ask if I had any more of it to give him.   ;D

Love that one Pauline ;D ;D ;D

Robbo.
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

JohnMich

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 20:57:07 »
Hi all!

I had the same trouble and found the solution on the web.
Mix a couple of teaspoons of arrowroot in a little water and dribble a bit into simmering chutney.
Stir and check thickening. Only add a little bit at a time because the arrowroot is very effective.
The arrowroot thickens without changing colour or introducing cloudiness as cornflour would do.

I found this forum while googling for a solution so I thought I would let you know what worked for me.

Many regards, Michelle. ;D

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 21:17:15 »
I would take out some of the ingredient's and blend it in the blender or food processor then tip it back into the pot and mix together. qahtan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal