Produce > Edible Plants

Seeds - seduced by a name...

<< < (2/8) > >>

tim:
Doris - you have limited room yet you grow squash ?? Living-in daughter takes up 1/5 of our plot with the damned things - and then uses them for her art class's still lifes!!

Suzy - thanks for you prompt - was going to remind you of my Kew Gardens thing in Gallery some weeks ago - checked it and only found 8 photos intead of 48!!

So - if you haven't seen it, have a look at the new one - at great cost in mental gymnastics = Tim

PS Red Duke of York - great - very resistant with us. Pink Fir always, but very much a 'salad' pot (par-boil or  boil before peeling) - although it sort of roasts and bakes & is great in casseroles. One really needs a later, more floury pot after your RDY?

Doris_Pinks:
Tim, I grow my squash upwards remember!! Going to try and build proper frames for them this year, instead of the Heath Robinson things they had last year.
BTW do you grow summer squash? If so, where do you get the seeds from?   DP

gavin:
For Alishka - the Choggia beetroot we grew this year were gorgeous.  

For a start they taste like beetroot!  I found that if I boiled them, they lost their stripes and became a pale pink.  Baking them (wrapped in foil for about 45 minutes, depending on size) means they keep their rings - much nicer (taste and looks)!

I'm interested in the comments about the golden beetroots - ours looked good, but were pretty tasteless.  Go on somebody - persuade me they're worth trying again!

All best - Gavin

Hyacinth:
Gavin, the taste of the golden is lovely (or rather Tim's was) - Tim gave me some - but as germination is so iffy & my space limited, I prefer to grow something a little more reliable. Pleased to hear that the Chioggia's good. - Lish

john_miller:
For Emma Jane:- The one time I grew purple sprouts (Rubine) I was quite disappointed. Out of 300 plants I had 3 that actually formed 'sprouts' while the rest just formed loose clusters of leaves at the stems. All tasted delicious but don't expect sprouts, based on my experience. They also need a very long season.
On the subject of being seduced by a name; a turnip will always be called a swede if the breeder thinks it will sell it better. The reverse is also true. It is also the reason that one particular type of turnip is sold as Broccoli raab not 'flowering turnip'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version