Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Just for fun

(1/6) > >>

nodig:
Well here is my new idea for raising cultivation levels on allotments and getting rid of the non cultivators.  Lets assume that the standard plot currently rents out at £50 year and there are 100 plot holders - 50 of the plots are v good, 25 good, 20 poor and 5 rubbish.  Standard practice would be to send a warning letter to the 5 rubbish ones and probably evict 3 of them, the other 2 avoiding eviction by managing to raise their plot to a poor standard.

Now the new system

Raise the rent to £100 per year but with a 50% discount if your plot is kept to a v good standard, 40% if kept to a good standard, and no discount for poor standard allotments. New plot holders taking on poor plots would get 50% discount the first year.

I suspect there would be quite a turnover of plotholders in the first few years, and then it would settle down.

Who agrees?

Borlotti:
Good idea, even though my plot is rubbish at present due to ill health, but people should give it back to the Council if they can't cope with it, but there are loads of overgrown plots at my site so don't fell too guilty.

Duke Ellington:
I like it too👍🏻👍🏻We have too many overgrown and unproductive plots on our site. This would work well. I especially like the 50 % discount idea!

Duke

squeezyjohn:
We have too many overgrown and unproductive plots on our site too ... because there are too many vacant plots ... I doubt raising the price would help get new people in!  Any new people who pay for one increases the chance that they will at least do something and are welcomed with open arms.  Our plots are just £25 a year for a full one ... if you're just west of Oxford and are not scared of brambles please apply!

BarriedaleNick:
In London we dont have an issue with lack of demand for plots - in fact some of the waiting lists are ridiculous.  In Lewisham you might wait ten years for a plot.

The idea though has some merit although it could bring the committee into more dispute with members when deciding on who gets a rebate and who doesn't - there might have to be some arbitration. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version