Allotment Stuff > Locations and Sites

Sharing allotment

<< < (2/3) > >>

Mrs Ava:
I agree, take the whole plot, you will be amazed how much room you will want as you get carried away growing things, and remember, you can always grow flowers and things, it doesn't just have to be veg.  If the ground is cultivated then just sprinkle annual flower seeds and away you go, cut flowers all summer long, beneficial insects in abundance and the glorious colour!  On our site, all plots are odd shapes and sizes, it is not council owned, and one lady has about 6 foot square!  This suits her as she only grows a few bits.  Me, I would like the whole site please...if only I could find someone to do all the digging!  ;D

gavin:
Hi MissBaritone - another idea would be to pop down to your local site on a warm (?) Sunday!

On ours, quite a few of the older guys swap around bits and pieces of plot, "sub-let", - there's all sorts of unnofficial arrangements.  

Two plot-holders are looking for people to take on half their plot for two to three years - at least until they get round to working a complete plot.  It'd be one way of getting started?

The existing plotters have an interest in having as much of the site occupied and productive, rather than under weeds - so most of us are very happy to find ways of getting newbies on to the site.

Another thing - in Leeds (under the old allotments officer), he'd discourage people from taking on a complete plot - he'd let you sign up for half of what you wanted!  Then he'd pop around in a month or two - and if you were doing a good job of getting started, he'd phone you with an offer of the other half.

Great way of giving a beginner a real boost - just as you're knackered, somebody gives you double the job!  But it worked - sure it's not in the rules - but it did envouraged the keenies, and didn't overburden the easily discouraged.  

All best - and good luck, Gavin

markymark:
Hiya MissB

Think I'd have to agree with EJ on this one. My allotment is probably the largest on our site, and although it took me a while to clear of weeds, builders rubble etc you can never have too much space ;)

The secret is, is not to try and clear it all in one go but a bit at a time, once it's done there's no looking back, and like EJ says you can grow other stuff as well as veg.......as long as it's legal!? tee hee ;D

I'm even thinking of going for a second plot that has noe become vacant....but then I am just a mad aquarian, unconventional and just a tad unhinged! ::)

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Mimi:
Hi Miss B I was in the same predicament.  However decided that if I only took half and someone else had the other and I found I didnt have enough space would be in a pickle.  Much easier to take on too much and then let half go if needed.  cheers

mysticmog:
Maybe ask at the allotment office if they can make a note that you wana share in case others want to do the same?

I agree with tuthers tho, having a full sized on meself that is SO overgrown it's scarey, just do bits at a time - I've cleared about 15m so far and that's enough to grow loads a stuff, the rest can be cleared nxt year...

Go for it  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version