Author Topic: So, you won the lottery..now what  (Read 7739 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
So, you won the lottery..now what
« on: July 05, 2012, 05:55:06 »
So what would you do if you won the 10 million. ?

I think most of us would share with family etc but then what.

Would you continue to garden ?

What would you drive?

New house maybe..what kind ?

Travel..where?

Charity  maybe?

Fund a cure for something nasty that folks get, or blight even.

Other wishes and dreams ..share yours here.

I bet there are some real doozie  dreams out there.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: So, you won the lottery..now what
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:21:25 »
.....What would you drive?

I would really love one of these

[attachment=1]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:15:25 »
Well it is a big improvement on the (spit) micra.

I would have a problem winning the lottery, trying to spend it all. I suppose I could become a full time alcoholic, some fast cars, loads of loose women, full time holidays and just squander what's left.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:08:24 »
Instead of a gifted part-time amateur alcoholic?....

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 11:15:59 »
Seriously?  I'd get our barn converted and the rest of the house fixed up instead of waiting for my pension pot.  I'd get a bigger greenhouse and I'd get the local horticultural institute to send its students here to practise on my hedges, re-lay my paths, improve our natural pond and teach them about perennials as they only ever have annuals to sell at their plant fair.  I might set up a scolarship fund for the best to go and learn at other big gardens or the RHS.

I'd buy an old industrial plot in the nearby town and build a dance and entertainment centre so my dance club could have the halls it needs for all its classes in one place and so we can hold our annual dances there.  The local music academy could use it for concerts and local groups such as OAPs could use it for daytime activities.

I'd replace our creaking 15 year old Omega estate with a new version.  Very practical and fits in the garage.   Not hankering after any fancier car not suitable for carrying bags of compost or new clematis home.
Obxx - Vendée France

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 15:55:00 »
Instead of a gifted part-time amateur alcoholic?....
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The phrase "You asked for it" came to mind!

I'd get a house with big enough patch of land so I could do all the gardening I wanted. I would probably set myself up too with a nice little tea shop or something food-ish and not have to answer to a boss!  Treat the kids to nice holidays and visit lots of places, like North America, India, and show them more of Australia. Maybe a little car for myself, I would love one of those Fiat500s!!!  Or maybe a Micra just to p*** off Ace!!!  :P
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 17:32:58 »
MM love the little car Squash,

I would buy a farm , with a very big house with big rooms. I could have a sewing room, a project room, a study and office , a collectors room plus all the beds and baths I feel I need.

I would like to set up a farm  guest house but a special one. I would need lots of  staff of course  but I could oversee it with a managers help.

I would have all the farm animals on site, raise our own beef, lamb, pork , chickens, etc and have enough greenhouses  with heat and light and polys to garden all year round so we could be practically self sufficient and all organic.

It would be expensive to stay at my place but the care and food received would be top grade.

I am not sure just where it would be located. It would be very English .

I too would like gardening and farm students and have a separate living house for them and the staff.

I would have whatever vehicles the business needed and a comfy car on top but I would definitely have a driver.

I would have a pair of custom made wellies..

After that I don't know.

We were almost self sufficient for many years but not on a grand scale. I loved it and have never felt right since re gave up our acreage. I would like that feeling back.

I am passionate about civil rights so maybe Amnesty International would get a good chunk. I would also have a fund for sports suppiles and sports fees for low income kids . Every kid should be able to follow it's dream in a sport, I would like to be able to give that.

However as I don't buy lottery tickets, my windfall would have to come from another direction I guess.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 23:30:05 »
I would hire a private jet so that I could visit my sister and all my friends on various continents. Then I would have a rest at home before jetting off again to see the rain forests of Borneo - the only place I really would have liked to visit when I was younger and fitter (just never had the funds!).

Other than that I would employ someone to keep the weeds down - a task which for me, has become very physically challenging.

There would still be plenty left to donate chunks of cash to my favourite charities.

Tricia

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 06:32:50 »
Borneo, wow, is that were you can go where the orangutans are..in a nature reserve I think, you can cuddle them..wonderful XX Jeannine

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 10:12:17 »
One word...............retire! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 10:31:07 »
"Retire"... sounds good..though for me it would not mean 'end of work'.. ::) I would love to be able to 'potter around' on my plots full time. Perharps employ one person to work with me, part time or with very flexible hours. I would love to get house 'done' from top to bottom and with employed help I hopefully would have more time for visiting other gardens, shows etc..have more general leasure time.. ;D
Oh...and more books...all sorts.
10 million would be far too much for what I need..even couple would do to full fill my dreams.
Hmm..I suspect it would be VERY selected few in family who would get any money.....bloody family...'mad' half of them.. ::)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 10:53:25 »
I would buy a house that would house a 2.4 family.

It would have a garden big enought for a large Veg patch  ;D ;D ;D

I would still have an allotment and go skip hunting  ;D ;D (Althought having a large veg patch at home you do not get the fun of meeting people on the allotment :D )

Nothing other than that.

I live a boring life :P
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 13:16:10 »
Bugger off around the world and set the kids up so they wouldn't have the same financial worries we have had.  If there was anything left, buy a house in France and have a lovely granny annex for my mum to live with us, then, potter, me with gardening, Mark with cars.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 18:01:42 »
Buy a small house with a little growing space somewhere warm and spend the winter there.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 19:03:38 »
Would anyone but top pirated tickets to the Olympics?

XX Jeannine

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 19:06:57 »
No.  Not legal, not pirated, not touted.   

Looking forward to the end of the closing ceremony!
Obxx - Vendée France

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 19:32:26 »
One word...............retire! ;D

With you on this Deb. I have a plan to retire when I want post 50. A lottery win would bring it forward a few years.

Someone at work commented recently that they needed a big lottery win so they could retire in style - that is never have to think about spending, have the mega house, another in a warmer climate, the big car etc etc. I don't really need that - so as long as my family were comfortable (ie. they paid their mortgages off and could have a decent holiday when they wanted) I just need enough to sustain my house, a reasonable garden and be able to do the stuff I enjoy and makes me happy.

Surprisingly to me, I find myself agreeing with my mother who years ago said  that the things that would make be happiest generally were cheap (she did not mean Primark!). The other side to this is that there are basic's that allow you to enjoy the cheap treats - i.e. not having to worry about the food bill, fuel bill etc. A lottery win would balance both sides.

Also if I retired I can think of other people that also would be happier in my absence - apparently I am becoming more and more crotchety as I age - grumpy "older" woman...pah! :o

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 20:15:51 »
First thing I'd do is put in a security camera's on the site to catch the thieving b****r who's had all my soft fruit!!  Wed bushes of fruit, Thursday when I went to pick the lot gone, you can see the foot prints in the soil(human) I hope they choke on it.
Buy a house with a big garden for me, large garage for OH.  Employ someone to do the housework I'll do the garden.  Help my family and friends who deserve it. Travel 1st class to Australia to see stepdaughter and family.
Like Jeannine would like to set up scholarships for gardening/research and funding to help our soldiers and the air ambulance.'s 
Replace the old allotment shop/outbuildings.
But the best bit would be never having to worry about the bills  ;D :D ;) :) :)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 20:30:45 »
Last night i was kept awake again by the vile cretin next door beating up his girlfriend. I have no job and living on a shoe string and it would just be lovely to be able to walk away from this place and never look back maybe get a takeaway on the way. Buy my parents a house with a swimming pool, undertake IVF and try for the child i've longed for all my life.

Anything else would just be icing.
x sunloving

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 21:04:06 »
I would love for you to win the lottery, sunloving. I hope things get better for you.
I'd keep a million and give the rest away  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal