Produce > Under Glass

Growing Squash in the Greenhouse

<< < (3/3)

Doris_Pinks:
]
Here is what I grow my squash up! Roofing batons from the local builders, (£5.00 for a huge bundle!) and nylon rope recycled from straw bales!  DP

Derek:
Thanks Doris

As Mr Punch would say..."Thats the way to do it"!

Derek

luath:
I should think you will need plenty of room in the greenhouse to grow the squash - the ehat and humidity will make for rampant growth.  I grew Malabar gourds the eyar before last and they virtually took over the whole greenhouse, jsut one plant.  Very spectacular, but won't do it again.............. ;D  Strong supports for them if you are growing them upwards, either inside or out.  for melons, make little bags of netting and attach to the framework with string - can re-use onions/seed potato type bags for this.

Jesse:
When I had a greenhouse I grew squash on the outside of the greenhouse but trained up and over the roof. The heat from the greenhouse helped them to grow well and the squash gave great natural shading to the greenhouse. In the early part of the year the squash are too small to provide much shade, which is what you want at that time of the year (maximum light and heat), but by the time high summer was here the squash were providing much needed shelter from the strong sun. The squash grew up the west and north side of the greenhouse, and provided shading from the top but the south and east side of the greenhouse was open still allowing a lot of light in. You can also grow grape vines, planted inside the greenhouse but remove a panel of glass so that the vine can grow out the greenhouse and onto the roof, again providing natural shade but warmth to the vine. Don't see why you couldn't do something similar also with melons, giving more space to your tomatoes and peppers etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version