Produce > Under Glass

wind damage

<< < (2/6) > >>

Travman:
All my glasshouses ( 3 ) have 6 clips on each panel and still i have lost so far 9 panes :(
Others have lost the complete greenhouses on our site(upside down) one was fully siliconed in. :'(
Conclusion........ :-
Unknown??? I think a lot depends  luck ::)

tim:
You can't blame the wind, but you can blame yourself when the car rolls back down the yard into your lean-to. Never been the same since!! = Tim

Oh, and with the 30' Alton - never thought to bolt it to it's foundation and, when we had the hurricane many years ago, one end folded inwards. We had to anchor it overnight with ropes & posts. It is now bolted down!!

ruudbarb:

--- Quote from: Palustris on January 11, 2005, 21:26:23 ---Hope it works for you. I was working in the Alpine House this afternoon, which is sheltered from this SouthWest gale and I was watching the other greenhouse 'flexing' every time a gust of wind hit it.
Not nice!

--- End quote ---

It's the frame flexing that causes the glass to pop out aided by suction from the wind.  It was claimed by the manufacturer of my house that their design was originally for erection on a North Sea oil rig and that it later stood up to force 8 gales quite happily.  Before marketting in Germany, the design had to be amended to have additional stiffeners fitted.  From my own limited knowledge of structural designs, I know that a correctly designed and engineered lightweight frame can be stiffer than a heavier less expertly designed one.  Add the glass which assists stiffness by virtue of it's weight and 6 anchor points set in concrete, the thing ought to stay put.  Once the glass has been in for a while it becomes naturally 'glued' in and often cracks before falling out.  Fortunately the wind turned out to be less damaging than those a day or so earlier. 

Being a coward at heart, I keep the door and all the vents closed but there are a few places where natural ventilation occurs.   ::)

Palustris:
The g/house which was 'flexing' suffered one cracked pane of glass, which since it was already broken is not too bad.
Hope everyone else was as fortunate.

MagpieDi:
Probably tempting fate by posting this, but luckily my greenhouse is still in one piece, after enduring a battering for days, with gusts up to 100mph up here in the Pennines !!
It's in a VERY exposed position, so has clips and silicone sealant, and is bolted down !
Maybe the shape helps with wind resistance, as it's octagonal, with a cone shaped roof. What d'you reckon Clod Hopper ??  ;)
Here's a pic

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version