Produce > Under Glass

wind damage

<< < (3/6) > >>

ruudbarb:
Hi MaggiDi - I think you are a lucky girl :o but the shape probably helps by being a bit more aerodynamic than a ridge one like I have.  Certainly the octagonal shape is inherently a very strong one and being bolted down brings the base into the equation to strengthen it further, even if it is only anchor points like mine. 

Thinking about the idea of leaving doors and vents open in periods of high wind, I would suspect that rather than equalise the pressure on the glass, it would be subjected to both an internal pressure acting on the inside face of the glass pushing outwards and the suction created by the wind passing over the ridge pulling outwards [it is a bit like the lift on an aircraft wing].    :-\

tim:
MD - the girl with the big stride?? = Tim

gavin:

--- Quote ---It was claimed by the manufacturer of my house that their design was originally for erection on a North Sea oil rig
--- End quote ---

Gulp!  And you still bought it???  The idea of a greenhouse on an oil rig sounds about as plausible as drilling for oil on an allotment  ;D ;D ;D

Lol - Gavin

ACE:
Has it been a bit blowy?  Can't say I noticed.

ruudbarb:

--- Quote from: gavin on January 12, 2005, 20:28:00 ---
--- Quote ---It was claimed by the manufacturer of my house that their design was originally for erection on a North Sea oil rig
--- End quote ---

Gulp!  And you still bought it???  The idea of a greenhouse on an oil rig sounds about as plausible as drilling for oil on an allotment  ;D ;D ;D

Lol - Gavin

--- End quote ---

Yep!  That's what I thought and told the guy from the manufacturer I had phoned that it sounded a bit of a tall story but apparently some of their technical boys came up with the design and during their shift off the rig, made it up in their workshop, had it taken out to the rig and grew tomatoes in it.  It's the daft sort of thing that could well be true as it is a pretty strong framework and I didn't say I believed him.  ;) ;) ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version