Author Topic: Picky Eater  (Read 10151 times)

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
Picky Eater
« on: January 16, 2010, 16:07:48 »
Does anyone have any recipies involving eggs (one yoke contains enough daily iron for a 5 year old) that might tempt a 6 year old very picky eater.

He is Iron deficent and wont eat green veg or red meat.

Ive made cakes and pancakes which he will eat, any other ideas?  ???
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 16:37:38 by Mortality »
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
Re: Picky Eater
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 16:12:40 »
Maybee some kind of omlette? or spanish omlette?

w00dy
Im the gaffer in our house, the missus said i could be.
http://noobveg.blogspot.com

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 16:17:48 »
Yorkshire puds? (not all yorkies have to be savoury...)

Any chance he'll eat fresh pasta, either 'plain' or filled...ravioli/tortellini? Eggs in that.

Will he eat white meat, btw? Chicken breast slice egg&breadcrumbed?

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 16:19:58 »
Have you tried beating egg into mashed potato with perhaps a little cheese?Even ketchup is considered healthy so could add to the disguise. ;)
sanity is overated

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 16:37:04 »
Omelette and scrambled egg he wont touch.

Yorkshire puds, yes he likes those.

Fresh pasta and noodles he will eat but not with fillings or sauces.

He will eat chicken and rarely fish fingers.

He wont eat mashed potato.

:-\
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 16:39:19 by Mortality »
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 16:42:12 »
lots of breakfast cereals are fortified with iron,nuts and pulses are rich in iron too. if you give him something rich in vitamin c at the same time,his body will absorb the iron better.
we didnt like certain foods when we were small,but were persuaded to eat them,is there no way you can do the same? esp as there are health concerns?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 16:48:36 »
lots of breakfast cereals are fortified with iron,nuts and pulses are rich in iron too. if you give him something rich in vitamin c at the same time,his body will absorb the iron better.
we didnt like certain foods when we were small,but were persuaded to eat them,is there no way you can do the same? esp as there are health concerns?

We do give him fortified cereals and usually a glass of Ribena (vit C) for breakfast.
He went for his third blood test at the beginning of the month and we are hoping the results are better this time.
My son is Autisitc and unfortunately persuasion at this stage wont work, not even the promise of a tasty treat. :-\

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 16:51:26 »
good luck,i hope you get better results too
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 16:59:01 »
Quiche? You could make one with no pastry (or use filo pastry) so he doesnt just fill up on flour. Dried figs and apricots are even better sources than eggs, most kids will eat them as they are sweet, and if you put them in cakes it means you can use less sugar. Get the unsulphured ones though, as the bright orange ones are full of chemicals (and not so tasty!)

Molasses are a good source of iron so you may be able to use this instead of sugar in some cake recipes.

Some beans are very good sources of iron - the vegetarian society mentions chick peas but aduki beans and some others are too. Perhaps you could make some hummus or other tasty beany dips? Maybe he would eat greens if they are disguised in something like pesto as a dip? I wouldnt advise supermarket ketchup or baked beans as these have loads of sugar and sweeteners in, which trains their taste buds away from natural food - brocolli will end up tasting horrid and bitter!

Make sure he gets lots of vitamin C rich foods as this helps iron absorbtion. It might be good to leave out bowls of fresh fruit, and dried fruit and nuts so he can graze on them.

I trained in nutrition but havent got an kids.. so this is very much theoretical!!

www.vegsoc.org/info/iron.html

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 17:06:13 »
Several posts beat mine to it.. have just read that your son is autistic.

I would recomment contacting Patrick Holford's Food for the Brain project http://www.foodforthebrain.org/content.asp?id_Content=1604 for advice, they know a lot more than any of the NHS dieticians or doctors!

Good luck, I hope you find some help for your son.

Cath x

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 17:12:14 »
Quiche? You could make one with no pastry (or use filo pastry) so he doesnt just fill up on flour. Dried figs and apricots are even better sources than eggs, most kids will eat them as they are sweet, and if you put them in cakes it means you can use less sugar. Get the unsulphured ones though, as the bright orange ones are full of chemicals (and not so tasty!)

Molasses are a good source of iron so you may be able to use this instead of sugar in some cake recipes.

Some beans are very good sources of iron - the vegetarian society mentions chick peas but aduki beans and some others are too. Perhaps you could make some hummus or other tasty beany dips? Maybe he would eat greens if they are disguised in something like pesto as a dip? I wouldnt advise supermarket ketchup or baked beans as these have loads of sugar and sweeteners in, which trains their taste buds away from natural food - brocolli will end up tasting horrid and bitter!

Make sure he gets lots of vitamin C rich foods as this helps iron absorbtion. It might be good to leave out bowls of fresh fruit, and dried fruit and nuts so he can graze on them.

I trained in nutrition but havent got an kids.. so this is very much theoretical!!

www.vegsoc.org/info/iron.html

Tried quiche before he would only eat the pastry  :-\
Figrolls he does enjoy, my 2 sons eat at least a packet of those a day.
Apricots he wont eat.
The only beans he would eat are baked beans..
He wont eat fresh fruit only purees and rarely a banana.
Nuts we can't try yet because of a family history of allergies on both sides. My youngest son might get hold of them hes 2 and a half and not the least bit picky (except about drinking cows milk).

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 17:32:05 »
Several posts beat mine to it.. have just read that your son is autistic.

I would recomment contacting Patrick Holford's Food for the Brain project http://www.foodforthebrain.org/content.asp?id_Content=1604 for advice, they know a lot more than any of the NHS dieticians or doctors!

Good luck, I hope you find some help for your son.

Cath x

Oh thats really interesting, ty  :)

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 17:40:45 »
I do sympathise! Don't give up giving him new things though, a 'quiche' with no pastry doesnt have to be called a quiche. Sometimes they just remember the name and the fact that they dont like it (am recalling my own fussy childhood here!). And health food shops will probably have things that look like supermarket foods when you show him the tin, but will be healthier.

Remember being taken to the school doctor as I wouldnt eat school dinners age 6-ish. And I was (possibly still am!) definitely on the autistic spectrum, though it (IMO fortunately) was not recognised at the time. All I would eat was fruit and nuts and bacon, and I drove my mum up the wall.. but turned out OK-ish  ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 17:58:30 »
ours wouldn't eat eggs but would eat 'eggy toast', hope the blood tests are ok  :)

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 18:05:28 »
I do sympathise! Don't give up giving him new things though, a 'quiche' with no pastry doesnt have to be called a quiche. Sometimes they just remember the name and the fact that they dont like it (am recalling my own fussy childhood here!). And health food shops will probably have things that look like supermarket foods when you show him the tin, but will be healthier.

Remember being taken to the school doctor as I wouldnt eat school dinners age 6-ish. And I was (possibly still am!) definitely on the autistic spectrum, though it (IMO fortunately) was not recognised at the time. All I would eat was fruit and nuts and bacon, and I drove my mum up the wall.. but turned out OK-ish  ;)

From what ive been told, we are all on the autism spectrum, its just that with some they are higher up on the scale. My son is more to the speach and language side and unable to interact with his peers, but he is improving.

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 18:08:57 »
ours wouldn't eat eggs but would eat 'eggy toast', hope the blood tests are ok  :)

heh I tried eggy toast, because he will eat bread, any bread, he wouldnt have it.
I even tried putting egg yoke in his baked beans and heating it like that, he didnt eat it.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 18:23:40 »
any chance you could involve him in the cooking/preparation of food ?even stuff he wouldn't usually eat he could be help make something for the family and along the way might be tempted  :)
sanity is overated

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 18:43:13 »
any chance you could involve him in the cooking/preparation of food ?even stuff he wouldn't usually eat he could be help make something for the family and along the way might be tempted  :)

We have tried, but to be honest unless its cake or biscuits he isnt interested  ::)
I'm hoping that with him helping me with our new vegetable garden it will tempt him, but so far all we have been able to do is dig it and pull out the roots.
The first time we went out to dig it he just watched from the path, the second time I went to finish the digging he surprised me by actively helping me pull out roots, progress in small steps.
Also when the first of the seeds arrived, he wanted to plant them straight away, but the garden isnt ready yet  ;D

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 18:56:32 »
Not very healthy but egg fried rice?

w00dy
Im the gaffer in our house, the missus said i could be.
http://noobveg.blogspot.com

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 18:58:23 »

Lewic - you sound very knowledgable about nutrition. But isn't Patrick Holford one of those dodgy nutritionists who make it all up? The name rings a bell.

Good luck Mortality, it sounds so exhausting trying so many things.  

You've had so many interesting suggestions - I can only think of two more - does he like anything battered?

Also potato cakes with egg. If it's a bit too like mashed potato, you can add flour and baking powder, and they turn out more like potatoey pancakes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal