Author Topic: Picky Eater  (Read 10177 times)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: Picky Eater
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 12:15:52 »
Oh well, that's good news.  ;D Maybe you could use the sauce to go with any ingredients he likes plus the pasta. I didn't know if he'd eat it as the first time my two were given it they looked at me as if I'd finally lost the plot.  ::) They like it tho as it tastes like normal pasta!!!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 12:34:46 »
Pleased about the good outcome, Morts.

As an aside...ever watched a 'picky eater' at a children's party, diving in like all the other children? Amazing!!

tlc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010, 20:47:51 »
My son is also on the autistic spectrum and was a hugely fussy eater for a number of years - we had two or three years when all he would eat was weetabix and milk for breakfast and pasta with pasta sauce for all other meals so you have my sympathy.  I can remember the excitement when he finally ate a piece of crust on a pizza!

I'm glad your son's iron levels are ok now and hopefully they will stay that way. 

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010, 20:59:14 »
Pleased about the good outcome, Morts.

As an aside...ever watched a 'picky eater' at a children's party, diving in like all the other children? Amazing!!

ty hun

As for the party, we took him to a childrens birthday party before we knew he was autistic, he only ate a few crisps and a drink of coke, so no not in this case.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2010, 21:11:09 »
My son is also on the autistic spectrum and was a hugely fussy eater for a number of years - we had two or three years when all he would eat was weetabix and milk for breakfast and pasta with pasta sauce for all other meals so you have my sympathy.  I can remember the excitement when he finally ate a piece of crust on a pizza!

I'm glad your son's iron levels are ok now and hopefully they will stay that way. 

Its strange cereals, bread and pasta has never been a problem.

As a baby I could feed him anything (spag bog, fish, mild curry) and he would eat it and get grumpy if I wasn't fast enough, but as soon as he was feeding himself...
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2010, 00:21:15 »
Graaah-I know, it's crazy how their habits change. When my youngest was 2-3 she would eat raw pepper, courgette, sauce dishes,well, anything really. Now it's a different story and she hates party food because of all the sausage on offer!
she does try things though and loves her veg so I try not to fuss too much and hope she'll just grow out of it. My mum stressed loads over food and I still have things I won't eat to this day (white cabbage and egg white being the main two!)
 ;D

tlc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2010, 13:33:34 »
Mortality, my son who is high functioning isn't swayed by peer pressure either.  At the age of 11, he is finally beginning to want to try a different range of foods. 

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2010, 19:05:20 »
Graaah-I know, it's crazy how their habits change. When my youngest was 2-3 she would eat raw pepper, courgette, sauce dishes,well, anything really. Now it's a different story and she hates party food because of all the sausage on offer!
she does try things though and loves her veg so I try not to fuss too much and hope she'll just grow out of it. My mum stressed loads over food and I still have things I won't eat to this day (white cabbage and egg white being the main two!)
 ;D

I suppose I was a bit fussy too, when younger.

I hated it when mum gave me plum tomatoes (tinned) on soggy toast, I litterally couldnt stomach it, i still probabily couldnt.
However if you made those same tomatoes into a pasta sauce I would.
I cant stand grilled tomatoes or those on top of pizzas, give me a raw one and ill eat it no problem. Ketchup,? no problem. Heinz Tomato soup..yuck.

Onions was another one, raw or cooked, no, didnt like em, however pickled onions was a different matter.

I love cucumber, but not gherkins..

It's all to do with food textures I suppose.

My husband has similar ones, he doesnt like any peas except marrowfat ones.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 19:13:21 by Mortality »

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 11:46:44 »
It's hard to remember with kids that we all have our preferences-you get so caught up in wanting them to eat, be healthy and all that, we forget they might genuinely not like it!!
I thought as a child I hated veg but when i started cooking for myself i realised that you don't have to boil your veggies for 25 minutes on full heat!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2010, 18:18:41 »
We do give him fortified cereals and usually a glass of Ribena (vit C) for breakfast.
He went for his third blood test at the beginning of the month and we are hoping the results are better this time.
My son is Autisitc and unfortunately persuasion at this stage wont work, not even the promise of a tasty treat. :-\

Hmm... I've got Asperger's so I hope I can offer some advice. Have you had the child Psych try and unravel how he thinks yet?... The main difference between us auties and you neurotypicals is actually how the brain is wired, we have very different thought processes as a result. THese days I manage to knock along OK becasue I'm rationally aware of it. I'm willing to be he doesn't understand that yet. One thing you could try is getting him to grow stuf to eat... from memory there's a lot of iron in sprouting brassica seeds, so maybe mustard and cress?... I used to eat it by the fistful when I was young, if I'd grown it myself...and back then you'd have needed siege weponry to get a cabbage into my mouth.... indered I still can't stand spinach....

chrisc

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2010, 14:51:14 »
We do give him fortified cereals and usually a glass of Ribena (vit C) for breakfast.
He went for his third blood test at the beginning of the month and we are hoping the results are better this time.
My son is Autisitc and unfortunately persuasion at this stage wont work, not even the promise of a tasty treat. :-\

Hmm... I've got Asperger's so I hope I can offer some advice. Have you had the child Psych try and unravel how he thinks yet?... The main difference between us auties and you neurotypicals is actually how the brain is wired, we have very different thought processes as a result. THese days I manage to knock along OK becasue I'm rationally aware of it. I'm willing to be he doesn't understand that yet. One thing you could try is getting him to grow stuf to eat... from memory there's a lot of iron in sprouting brassica seeds, so maybe mustard and cress?... I used to eat it by the fistful when I was young, if I'd grown it myself...and back then you'd have needed siege weponry to get a cabbage into my mouth.... indered I still can't stand spinach....

chrisc

He is going to be helping me with the garden this year, he has already planted 6 Broad beans and keeps peering hopefully at them.  ;D
He has also been helping me with the cooking and that has made him more adventurious.
Also the bribery is now working (sometimes) eat all your dinner and you can have X treat, sort. The eat all your peas and sweetcorn failed when he looked at it, then looked at me and said 'ill have it tomorrow' (the treat)

The Educational Psych has been working with him, but not really discussed food, at school it isnt a problem because he will eat his packed lunch.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal