General > RHS Question & Answer

Gardening career..?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Old bird:
Cosmo & Dibs

I am sure that you can/could earn a good standard of living.  I don't necessarily go down the "going to college" route is necessarily the right way necessarily!

I think you could learn an awful lot from working with someone like Laurieuk - who will know what is what and when and how!

Up to a point how successful you become is how you approach the job and whether you are a cheerful outgoing person who doesn't always put problems in the way!

I think that credit crunch or no credit crunch - and depending on where you live - there is still a lot of moneyed people out there - who would rather pay a gardener to do work rather than doing it themselves.

Obviously - if you are aiming to be a "landscape gardener" qualifications would be the way forward - but for just "gardening" a guy like Laurie would be so useful to get you going for a few months - if you know anyone like him!

Talk to people in your area - in the pub - neighbours etc.  You generally can find some work that way and when you get recommended on - that is when you can start charging a little bit more as your experience and client list grow.

I personally don't think that working as a gardener for one employer full time is an option these days though - unless you have been to a college!  But they are not very well paid - and you don't have much chance for freelancing or whatever.

Go for it - give it a try part time to start - just to try the waters!

Good luck - whatever you decide

Old Bird
 ;D

betula:
I really feel I need to come to the defence of Kings Heath Park.

I was a student there for two year and really slug killer I  find some of your remarks very unfair.

It is not just two rooms rented from the council ,it is a very old house in the middle of the park,a lot of original features still left.A small but enjoyable place to study.It has a kitchen and a very good cafe ,that is open every day and is very popular.

After doing two years of idents I can recall only a few times we worked from photographs.The rest was walking around the park and   collecting specimens.
Obviously a lot depend on the time of year.

The staff at the park are very dedicated and a joy to work with.

I do not think it is fair to compare the two,Pershore and Kings Heath.

betula:
Also forgot to add,Kings Heath is part of Bournville college,you are a student of that college and have use of the very many facilities. :)

1066:
C&D - it depends on what you want from life. I looked at changing careers a while ago, but I came to the conclusion that I love gardening as a hobby, and want it to stay that way.
But, and it is a fairly big but in my mind, it depends whether you really want to work where you enjoy what you are doing, I don't particularly love what I do for a living, but it pays well, I can work part time, I'm freelance so can work for a few months then take time off. This suits me as I get to do the things I like most in my plenty of spare time - gardening, holidays and enjoying life at home.
Good luck with whatever you decide

meant to add nothing tried nothing gained

laurieuk:
The only thing I would add to Old Bird's comments is join your local gardening society there are often pro gardeners there that you can get info from.
 As regards wages when I asked my father-inlaw about marrying his daughter he first comment was "your wage is what I have for pocket money".
We will be having our golden wedding anniversary next year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version