Author Topic: It's a long story. About allotments. So get yourself a nice cup of tea....  (Read 5528 times)

namby pamby

Actually it's not a story at all really.

I'm an urban type, you know, reads the guardian, shops at waitrose. Once went outside in the winter and was ill for five months. You know the type.

So I find this book, " How to make and manage an allotment", 1942, war effort and all that, the books by Geo H Copley.

Well Mr Copley's clearly a keen potato-growing maniac, and he certainly knows his stuff. But the book is written in medieval (or gardening) language, so whilst it all sounds absolutely great, I'm getting the idea that allotments aren't instant or easy.

Which is just what I need right now. I need to get fit, grow some things for us to eat and experience the great outdoors.

So the boring story out of the way, my questions are:

Roughly how much do allotments costs to rent a year?

Roughly how many hours a week are necessary?

Can a complete namby-pamby hack running one?

Suggested first crops to give me confidence, but that are funky enough to keep me interested?

I should be ever so grateful for any replies, even if you feel like hurling some abuse my way, it's all good to me.

Thank you.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Welcome namby pamby!

A standard 10 rod plot can cost anything from £5 pa to £100+ depending on where you happen to live and what kind of site it is with what facilities.  Most sites now have very long waiting lists as allotmenteering has become very fashionable so again, depending on where you live, you might have to wait years.

Once you get the plot under control from the bramble, couch grass and nettle infested jungle that it will probably start out as, you'll need a minimum of around 4-6 hours a week, more in a hot dry summer for watering.

Anyone can work an allotment as long as you don't mind some hard work and getting your hands dirty.

Salad stuff is easy and quick - lots of interesting types of leaves, radishes, spring onions etc.  Spuds are easy if you're not in a blight-prone area.  Squashes and pumpkins are also pretty trouble-free and almost no-one fails to get too many courgettes.

Ask away, we're a friendly bunch!

Al37

• Half Acre
Hi Namby pamby,
As far as the weight issue is concerned I got my allotment late last year and so far have lost well over a stone.
All I have done is build a shed, a hen coop with large run and rebuilt a few fences.
I have only just started digging out all the couch grass so I expect another stone will just fall off ;D
As far as what to grow is concerned I would grow what you like to eat, even if it seems complicated just ask here and there will always be lots of help from the more experience growers.
Al

littlebabybird

• Hectare
hi namby pamby
Welcome to a4a

where are you?

lbb

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
Hi and welcome. Apart from all the good advice you'll get on this forum (gardeners love to give advice  ;) ) try Googling "square foot gardening" "raised beds" and "Lasagne gardening". That'll keep you busy for quite a while.

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
there is so much more to allotments than just growing stuff.
i could real off loads of stuff thats that i have found in the year ive had mine but that would take another 20 cups of tea
 ;D
it's not just about growing propper tasty food.
try some runner beans 'white lady' are good, i tell you from just 1/2 a packet i could not give them away fast enough and ive still got some in the freazer.

my best advice is to chuck everthing in and see wot works but enjoy the social life  :D :) :)
HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Hi,Namby Pamby and welcome! I'd suggest the first thing you do is find out whether you can actually get an allotment anywhere near where you live! Obviously you can grow veg in a garden or even in pots, but the techniques vary a bit.

It IS hard work- chances are if you get a plot it will be overgrown, but that's all part of the challenge!Some areas offer half plots now which are less overwhelming.

I found the most gratifying things to grow in the first season were potatoes, courgettes, beans and sweetcorn, as they grew easily. Carrots and parsnips are more fussy- it also depends whereabouts in the country you are- and of course what kind of summer we get!

Good luck-let us know how you get on!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Welcome to the site Namby Pamby. If you can get an allotment you are doing well. Lots of good advice already given so I'll sit back with my cup of tea and wait for the next questions...  :)

Squash63

• Half Acre
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Hi Namby Pamby and welcome to the group.

As Caroline has suggested, the best thing to do is to see if there is a plot available near where you live. Either by contacting your local council's allotment department, or googling allotments in your area.  We have our own website and lots of people get in touch with me that way.

If you are lucky enough to get a plot soon, and if it is in reasonable condition, one of the nicest things to grow (in my opinion) is any member of the squash family. 
I plant squash, pumpkin and courgette seeds indoors in  May, for planting outside in June so there is plenty of time yet.

Plots on our site cost about £28 for one measuring 25 ft x 130 ft, we also have half-plots. 

Some people (me) go to their plot every day, others a few times a week. 

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham
www.growit.ik.com

lewic

• Hectare
I'm also a namby pamby first-time gardener.

I think a lot depends on the state of the allotment when you get it - it is worth getting on the waiting list anyhow as they will probably offer you a choice of plots when you get to the top of the list. I dont think it is like council housing where if you reject a crap flat you get put to the bottom of the list (well not in Bristol, anyhow)

When I took mine on last August it had waist high weeds, overgrown trees, a leaking shed, tons (literally) of foul rubbish, buried carpets everywhere, and the ground needed to be levelled out as there was a huge trench along one side. No vehicle access and a deadine to get it done before it got dark in the evenings.. so for a few weeks I spent most weekends there plus several mornings/evenings before and after work. Might sound like a nightmare scenario but I saw the potential here and have enjoyed every minute of it (its just the day-job I resent!!)

My neighbours who have plots up and running dont seem to spend half as much time on their plots though, so I'm sure once I get going it will become easier.

If you inherit an overgrown plot (as most are) I think it is very easy to get demoralised, and this is probably what puts most people off. You might not be able to plant anything the first year, but if you can deal with this and picture what it is going to look like when you have got it cleared, this will hopefully give you the motivation to tackle the horrid jobs.

As for what (and how) to plant, I am still rather clueless. Runner beans and potatoes are the only things I have ever managed to grow in the past!

STEVEB

• Acre
hope you find a plot.we pay 12 quid a year no facilities but lots of bushes!!
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

elvis2003

• Hectare
welcome to the site namby
i do hope you get a plot soon as your post is very well written and im sure youll be an entertaining contributer to the site
good luck and keep us posted
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

lavenderlux

• Acre
Hi

I would suggest that you start off with a half plot (if you can get one) - on our site we've found that people taking on a full plot struggle and give up but now we only offer half plots to new people, they can manage this and stay (and so our waiting list keeps growing ......)

Potatoes aren't a very funky crop BUT there's lots of varieties and they are good way of finding out what your soil is like, so why not try several different ones, including salad potatoes and compare the flavours.  Blight can be a problem with main crop potatoes - less so for earlies

Courgettes are good strong growers and often outgrow the weeds - lots of different varieties

Cost in my area for a half plot would be £18 per year - you ought to consider joining your site's/areas allotment society as often you can get discounts on things like seeds potatoes, composts, etc - cost will probably be less than £5 per year

I go to my plot most days but we have many people who only come weekends and an evening or two during the lighter evenings.

So - go for it and enjoy the outdoor life and exercise (much better than a gym!)

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
I also like to read the Guardian, live in london and do the odd poncy thing or too.  I was brought up encouraged to garden and I always liked it.

London alloment is £4 a 'pole', so £32 a year for me.

Top tips -

book - The half hour allotment by Lia Leendertz explains how to do a low maintenance plot.  The emphasis is on growing crops that either are hard to get in the shops or are expensive - i.e good 'value' crops.  Therefore she doesnt harp on about spuds (which I am growing anyway!)

Another book is by Andi Cleverly - the allotment book I think it is called.

Many older guys are at their plot every day but they are NOT typical - most people have jobs or families so get there maybe  once a week over winter and rather more in the summer.  The key is to use your brain (Guardian readers have big brains!!!) and try and target easy-to grow crops.  Sometimes it will mean spending money initially but if it works then why not...

zigzig

• Acre
I gathered some statistics about allotment holders from a friend who manages a site.

It seems that most give up in the first year. Those who stay for two years, stick it out for as long as they live in the area, or are defeated by ill health.

Newbies come in two sorts, those who know nothing and those who know enough to get on with the job. Newbies who stick to it soon become great allotment holders.

There is a huge difference between growing spuds in 1942 to fend off food shortages than growering today. Less people are growing potatoes for a start. Expensive greens, herbs and salad vegetables are the trend and fruit is very popular.

As a guardian reader waitrose shopper, you will be a 'you get what you pay for believer'. The firms who sell gadgets and gardening merchandise will love you.

There are shops you have probably walked past who can give you a much better deal on all sorts, go in wearing the clothes you have set aside for gardening in, to look like the riff raff who use them. A wig and dark glasses are a must because you do not want any one you know to recognise you either. You could take a clip board and pen with you too, part of your disguise for doing research for a charity,  (your excuse, in case you are challenged with 'whatever were you doing in ****?)

Then take a walk (this time of year is perfect) around Netto, Liddl, Aldi, Pound stretcher, B&M even Asda. Their gardening stuff, seeds, shrubs and trees for sure are far cheaper and every bit as good as those you get from up market places and web sites.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed

Then take a walk (this time of year is perfect) around Netto, Liddl, Aldi, Pound stretcher, B&M even Asda. Their gardening stuff, seeds, shrubs and trees for sure are far cheaper and every bit as good as those you get from up market places and web sites.

Don't forget Wilkinson's! :D

lewic

• Hectare
But don't be tempted to buy weed control membrane from your local pound shop.  Bought some yesterday and you could read a newspaper through it!

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Hi there,

It has to be said, allotments are hard work....

but, if you are looking for some hard, but satisfying, work in the great outdoors to lose some weight and get healthier then it might be the thing for you.

Best advice would be to get reading, this site especially, and not to build Rome in a day. Some books on allotments will tell you that all it takes is half an hour a day/week, trust me, this is not going to happen, but then again, where would the fun in that be.....
Runner beans are really satisfying to grow as a start, spuds are brilliant ( earlies are great, and taste much better when first lifted) Courgettes too, and you will discover that veg. come in all shapes, colours and sizes different to those in Waitrose..... ;D
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Don't forget Wilkinson's! I should think not eh Caroline. The bestest shop there is
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
not sure what the perception of a guardian reader is but personally have no fear of being seen in any budget shop at all - I shop at both Aldi and Lidl!  Good European produce for a reasonable price - that is Lidl and Aldi all over.

Yes, hard work and patience.  Be prepared for repeated digging of ground to reduce weeds.

No luck involved, it is all graft.

Psi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal