Author Topic: when do I take the lid off?  (Read 1141 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
when do I take the lid off?
« on: January 10, 2009, 11:52:39 »
I recently invested in some root trainers and started off a variety of seeds  on 4th January for later transfer to prewarmed cloches and unheated greenhouse. They have now all germinated so, mindful of Debster's post about damping off, what I wondered was when I should take the plastic lid off and how? By this I mea: do I just remove the lids or do I do it for increasingly longer periods every day?

I've never used any sort of propagator before, but I must say I'm impressed by how fast and successful germination has been. The seeds are - kohl rabi, cauliflower, onion, Lamb's lettuce and sweet peas.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: when do I take the lid off?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 13:42:48 »
I wondered was when I should take the plastic lid off and how?

A simple enough question but not so easy to answer simply because there could many influencing factors as to when. e.g. the light and temperature range you have when you do remove it.

I guess you know that you now want to harden off the seedlings (aclimatise)

To do this you have got to gradually reduce the temperature to that that  your seedlings will ultimately require and what with the vagaries of the UK weather and not knowing the facilities you have to do this, makes it difficult for me to be more precise!

In your case it has been made reasonably easily because of the plants involved i.e. kohl rabi, cauliflower, onion, Lamb's lettuce and sweet peas which are all relatively hardy!

Having said that; I personally think you have been a mite too early apart from the sweet peas and onions, in sowing them, particularly in your neck of the woods.

I say this thinking that you not be planting them out for a few months yet meaning you have to keep them alive for quite some time yet.

Regarding damping off which I agree could be a factor, I don’t think this should be your main concern!

Low temperatures are more likely to create a greater risk.

I try to maintain a minimum temperature of around 40°F 4°C, and in the case of onions  this would be around 50°F (10°C)

In the following pictures you will see how I step down my heat levels e.g.
1)   Closed propagator
2)   Once germinated open propagator vents for a couple of days
3)   Place on hot bed and cover with transparent tray cover for a few days
4)   Leave on hot bed with covers removed again for a few days.
5)   Put on high shelf near light in a frost free location
6)   Put into cold frame a few weeks before planting out time.
7)   Plant out when all fear of frost has passed.

The time scale for the above operations  apart from onions & sweet peas in my case, is about 4-6 weeks from sowing to planting out e.g. I sow my cauliflower week 13 and plant out around week 18/19 depending upon the weather.

So you see if your planting out time is similar to mine you will have to look after them for at least another 14-15 weeks.

I wish you the best of luck but I would suggest you prepare yourself to sow more Lambs lettuce, kohl rabi & cauli in about 10 weeks time.

Let me point you and anyone else for that matter to my set up and methods of sowing in the hope that it will increase your success rates.

I know most people don't have the set up I have but with a bit of imagination you can achieve similar results.

My set up;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/My%20set%20up/My%20Set%20up.htm

How I sow my seeds;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Seed%20sowing/Seed%20Sowing.htm

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 21:14:01 »
Very well explained Tee Gee, an easy to ask question with a difficult answer!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 22:55:54 »
Oh he is good, our Tee Gee.....dont you ever leave us........or we will all get together and pinch yer onion tips so they go "Ouch"

;D :-*
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 07:05:54 »
Wow thanks Teegee! I couldn't have hoped for such a comprehensive reply! And sorry for not getting back to you sooner but for some bizarre reason our network died yesterday. Working again this morning though.

You are quite right: I am really too early sowing, but most of the seed I have used is old and could well have been unviable. Also I wanted to experiment with the root trainers before we were really into the growing season when errors would be more crucial. And it's rather nice to have seedlings about again!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 08:54:26 »
I know what you mean, anne, I've just taken the lid off the windowsill propagator with the little gem lettuce and mizuna..
I'll give them a couple of days on the warm window them they go onto a windowsill with no radiator under..
then they go to the cold poly but are planted in a polystyrene fish box and covered with a bit of fleece if it gets freezing..
it's just nice to have something growing and I only lose a few seeds if something goes wrong, there are 500 in the packet  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal