Author Topic: CHRISTMAS LUNCH........HELP  (Read 5930 times)

betula

• Hectare
CHRISTMAS LUNCH........HELP
« on: October 04, 2008, 10:54:04 »
I have eight people for lunch.

Last year I did three courses and had huge problems keeping it all warm.
By the time I got to plate number 8 number one was cold.

Not enough room in the oven to get all the plates in.

They were going in and out of the microwave like yo yos.

With the family singing why are we waiting I almost had a breakdown ;D

Any advice please.

I really want to get it right this year.

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
Re: CHRISTMAS LUNCH........HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 10:59:51 »
we use a heating trolley and table top wamer, had 16 round year before last and again this year. Bloomin' useful.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 11:09:50 »
Our Christmases are always 16+ people and although we generally eat around two large tables pushed together, the food is served in large serving dishes and or platters, with everyone serving themselves and the dishes being passed from one to the next, that way the food stays nice and hot.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 11:26:39 »
Have a salad for a change  ;D

try and get a Hostess trolley off freecycle

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 12:07:29 »
Eat out
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 12:15:08 »
have a cold starter,do as much prep as you can in advance to avoid panic,and on no account do it plated up,no wonder you were going mad! serve it help your self style in large oven proof dishes.the meat needs to rest for 30 mins or so anyway,keep it covered in foil whilst doing so and it will stay plenty warm enough
good luck
rach
xx
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 12:25:00 »
I would echo what Rach has said and also: get some teamwork going!! Don't even think about doing it all yourself. I find people have much more fun if they're asked to help, even the grandchildren taking round the dips or putting out the crackers.

personally I'm copping out this year and going to my brother's in France. :-[ :-[

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 12:34:07 »
OMG, a Christmas thread already!!! :o You're giving yourself far too much time for worrying!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 13:14:04 »
Betula planning is a good help and freezing ahead.

I make bread sauce, stuffings, mashed carrot and swede, cauliflower cheese, brandy butter, bacon wrapped sausages etc all ready and in the freezer by the beginning of december.

I also cook my pudding in a slow cooker on the day as it can go on first thing and be left, all day if necessary, doesn't steam up the kitchen and keeps the hob free.

As Elvis said cook the meat first and leave it to rest.

I prepare potatoes, parsnips, sprouts etc the day before.

I use the vacuum packed chestnuts as they take 1 minute in the microwave.

You could look for other veg recipes that are able to be prepared ahead and have them in the freezer too.  I always have a few in ready for christmas then can cope with whatever happens.

And lay the table the day before.

Can someone else bring starter and/or dessert and be responsible for serving them, I have done that with my sister before now?

It depends who is coming doesn't it, and if you can ask them to muck in with you or not.  At least starting this early you have plenty of time.  Don't panic.

Lots of lists - I have a tick list when putting all the dishes on the table as I always find something not served afterwards!

Things like the bread sauce and carrot and swede can be heated a little early and kept warm.

Borrow another slow cooker for mulled wine?

ok, I am getting too excited about christmas now so will stop - hope you find something that will help in all this rambling - I love christmas.... :) :) :)

T.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 13:31:40 »
we generally eat around two large tables pushed together, the food is served in large serving dishes and or platters, with everyone serving themselves and the dishes being passed from one to the next, that way the food stays nice and hot.

As well as using the cooker,  we also use a 3 tier steamer so all the veg usually cooks and is ready together.

We do this and it works a treat.  Have done so for over 12 years. Everyone eats hot food :) :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 14:04:25 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 13:52:13 »
I have eight people for lunch.

Last year I did three courses and had huge problems keeping it all warm.
By the time I got to plate number 8 number one was cold.

Not enough room in the oven to get all the plates in.

They were going in and out of the microwave like yo yos.

With the family singing why are we waiting I almost had a breakdown ;D

Any advice please.

I really want to get it right this year.

Pardon my French but you worked your socks off and they sounded like they were taking the p*ss so tell them to ckoff and eat somewhere else!
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 13:57:22 »
Thanks for all the tips :)

Yes it is early,my thoughts always turn to Christmas this time of year. :)

I would love to eat out.We did it the year my dad died as we could not face the empty chair business.I thought it was a good experience but the family wanted to be at home since.

My main problem was not the food prep as I do peel and prepare potatoes and veg Christmas eve,I also cook the Turkey Christmas eve it is a I say the serving of it.

I have not used tureens as by the time I have eight people round the extended table plus crackers wine glasses,Christmas  table decorations
there is hardly room to move.

Starting this thread has focused my mind on it and yes I do think you are right,it is crazy plating it up.

I do have an extra table in the living room.I could put it all on there and everyone help themselves.Can you still buy those little table warmers.?

Starters.........I normally give a choice of soup,pate or prawn cocktail................maybe try something different this year.........any ideas.?

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 14:05:48 »
we generally eat around two large tables pushed together, the food is served in large serving dishes and or platters, with everyone serving themselves and the dishes being passed from one to the next, that way the food stays nice and hot.

We do this and it works a treat.  Have done so for over 12 years. Everyone eats hot food :) :)

i know a lot of people dread the large family get togethers but we love it and try to get together with our extended family (relative is a swear word to us :)) at least three times a year plus Christmas, close friends are normally thrown into the melee, so chaos is guaranteed and expected with great relish ;D.

nothing beats getting together at the same table and partaking in the grand passing of dishes over each other arms, etc :D.

and i agree with grawrc teamwork is key to a smooth get together at least in our get togethers. although the meal is planned between 4 women, only two of us are the bosses in the kitchen, but everyone at some point mucks in.

a lot of the food is also cooked/ prepared the day before. but still lunch turns into dinner, which is cool cause everyone always know to walk with a night over bag as no one really wants to go home when its all done anyway. leading the days festivities into the night and a great late boxing day breakfast...

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 14:06:34 »
How about heating the plates in advance, and putting them into a coolbag with those blue thingies that you can either freeze to keep things cold or heat up to keep things hot.  Just a thought that suddenly occurred to me.

And I read somewhere that you can heat the plates in the microwave by putting a tablespoon of water on each plate before stacking them up.  Never tried it, though.
The Tuscan Beaneater

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 14:08:30 »
Redclanger.............they were only joking and they do wash up everything afterwards ;D

I must admit though it was hard to see the funny side at the time because as you probally know it is hard to keep a sense of humor when you are under pressure.

Do you remember the Adrian Mole books.There is a wonderful chapter in there where mum has not defrosted the Turkey and she is sitting it in a bath of hot water while the family are arriving for lunch.Reminds me of that and makes me laugh :)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 14:08:57 »
betula,i got some of those table warmers from a chinese supermarket not long ago,although im sure your food is going to be so delicious itll be woofed down in one go
r
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 14:25:13 »
Thanks for the tip elvis,we have a big one in Birmingham,will go and see if they have any :)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 14:26:42 »
The Husband is sent out to cook the turkey in the kettle barbie here, 'cos we like the flavour. I have a heated trolley and it's a life saver as you can shove stuff in it as it's ready up to 2 hours in advance, and all the crocs can warm on the bottom shelf too. Any left over veg can go back in to keep warm for those who can manage seconds. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 15:30:00 »
The table is laid just after breakfast and anyone in the house is roped in to help.  My husband usually does all the cooking when we have guests but I help prepare the vegetables and am there to assist towards the end of cooking.

We always use serving dishes when we have guests.  There is not always a lot of room in the oven to warm them up so we put them with the plates in a sink full of very hot water...(the serving dishes, not the guests!).  This can only be done if, like me, you have a double sink as you may need to strain some of the vegetables if you don't have a steamer.  Once the meat is cooked, it comes out to stand.  When the potatoes are done they are put in a serving dish, the oven is turned down and they are keep warm in there.  By this time the oven usually has room to fit the vegetable dishes in. 

My son or my husband carves the meat.  Our dining room is just off the kitchen so once everyone has helped themselves we put the serving dishes back in the oven for second servings. 

I always think cooking a large meal for guests is too much for one person and wouldn't attempt to do it without help.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 16:19:54 »
This reminds me of the time that I cooked a full on chinese banquet for about 15 people at our house. We did 2 different soups, various mixed starters, roast duck with all the trimmings and 5 different main courses. Bar a couple of the starters which I got ready made from the chinese supermarket I made all the stuff from scratch. It was a complete nightmare...never again. Food was good though! I cook quite often for parties and I jsut try to do as much as possible in advance. At xmas I would pre-boil potatoes etc the evening before and then put them straight around the tukey. You could also pre-make things like sausage and bacon rolls.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal