Produce > Edible Plants

Leggy seedlings

<< < (2/7) > >>

teresa:
what a shame looks like you have good seed by the way its germanated. I think were all getting that feeling of wanting to sow something but hang on another month at least.

The gardener:
My first impulse is to sling them!

However if you have the right growing conditions you could prick them out, setting them at a depth where the the seed leaves are about 3mm (1/8th") above soil level.

At least doing this, and assuming they survive you should have a good root system when they are ready for planting out.

Again, because you have sown them a bit early you might find you will have to pot them up into 125/150mm(5"/6" ) pots prior to planting out time.

I don't sow mine till week 10 (mid March)

mysticmog:
Thanks guys - I know it's a bit early, but they're in an offshot from my kitchen which is perfect temp with floor to ceiling windows so lots of light - toms generally do really well in there.  I've started them in early feb before and they've been fab.  I reckon I should have just checked in on them more often like you say Plantsman.

As The Gardener thinks it's doable, gonna try planting them out into lil pots and keep an eye on them - just don't have the heart to sling them as it looks like every seed has sprouted.

I promise I'll wait a few months before I plant anything else Tim  ;D - gonna take that long to get seed beds ready  :-X

Cheers again guys, will let you know how me babies progress..

teresa:
If your going to try and keep them let them straighten up for a few days. and pot them on into either roottrainers or loo roll cartons which will be deep enough and not excessive compost. Water well and leave to nearly dry out better on the dry side no mould.
these can be stacked inside a seed tray with peat at the bottom just damp slightly.
I hate throwing anything away as well keep us posted and pic's on how you get on.
good luck

Garden Manager:
I wouldnt worry too much. Strictly speaking the light levels are too low in january for seedlings, you should in future wait until february (at least) to start sowing, and then dont give them too much heat.

As the gardener says you can salvage these, by pr*cking them out and planting them deeper than they are know, this should make them stronger and less likely to flop over. This is something i always do with my seedlings. water them in (from below) and put them in a light but cool spot to grow on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version