Author Topic: I'm not getting to plot much does it matter?  (Read 3699 times)

BarbaraGood

• Half Acre
  • 250 square metres of heaven
I'm not getting to plot much does it matter?
« on: May 09, 2007, 06:57:51 »
Didn't get all over the weekend as DH was working a lot and smallest rugrat is teething so not in a mood conducive to me getting on with anything.

Hoping to get there today at some point, but I am only getting own both weekend days most weeks.  :-[

I have potatoes in, red onions and stuck a few peas in last weekend - just the experimental ones we started off in pots to show the children how things grow.  So nothing major needing attention I don't think.
Ah just remembered carrot seeds as well  :-\

I am guessing once I get more seeds etc in, I shall need to go down more often to water at least, and keep an eye on things?

have to say its quite exciting this way as things change so much each time I get there, even if it does mean the weeds have too !!!

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
Re: I'm not getting to plot much does it matter?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 07:05:48 »
Hi Barbara,
Sounds the same as me!
We have pots, carrots, onions, leeks, parsnip, chard, spinach, and beans and peas that the children grew!
We try to get down at the weekend and one or two days in the week. Would like to do more, but work and children make it a little difficult.
We just do what we can when we can.
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

dgillings

• Quarter Acre
  • Harry with his favourite chocolate friend.
    • The Organic Allotment
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 09:32:48 »
Amen to that. I don't get down there anywhere near as much as I need to really - work takes a lot of my time. I only just managed to get down there after almost 4 weeks last night and the weeds had taken a stronghold. Luckily thanks to the rain the night before the ground was beautifully soft and allowed for easy weeding - tap roots and all!

Just get down there when you can really is my philosophy now. Anything is better than nothing and most the plants once they take hold are reasonably hardy and can just about fight for their own corner. Obviously if you remove the weeds as often as possible then the plants won't have to fight quite so hard, but it's character building for them ;)
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.  ~Author Unknown

The Organic Allotment
http://theorganicallotment.blogspot.com/

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 22:35:36 »
Agreed.  As and when you can. Though would recommend the hearty pro-active use of weed supressing cloth on all unused/worked areas, netting an area when planting out and a hefty use of slug pellets.  This method has ensured that there are actually crops left to grow during the non-visiting spells. 

If you have room, starting seeds off in pots/trays at home is also helpful as it keeps your interest going and ensured that you can plant out on the next trip& shop instant results.

Bit worried at the mo' due to no visit for 1.5 wks, mum planted out 100 dwarf french beans with no netting and no slug pellets.  Fingers crossed there's anything left when I get down there this coming weekend (come hell or high water!)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 21:51:36 »
Ours are over the back fence so it is rare we don't get down....
Unless you have stuff under glass, which has to be watered, most things will survive on a once a week visit to check: not swamped by weeds ( a good sign... if the weeds won't grow your plants stand no chance) or eaten by something...
 ;D

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 21:14:29 »
Once a week, twice if I'm lucky.  It has to fit in with the rest of your life, so don't end up feeling guilty - remember that it's meant to be rewarding, and not a burden!  ;D

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 22:03:48 »
Mines 30 foot from the house so I am pretty lucky really, like to get down several times a day if I can. Do all the hard work then late evening take a wander around checking out the days work.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 22:12:36 »
Mine's five minutes walk from home.  I also work from home, which means I can pop down for a quick half-hour dig or whatever from time to time during the day (weather permitting, of course).  I keep three piles of clothes - lottie clothes, slopping around the house clothes and smart work clothes for when I have to see work people.  Trouble is, occasionally I'm in a meeting and happen to glance at my hands and think OMG - my nails are FILTHY!
The Tuscan Beaneater

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 22:27:19 »
hi

my allotment is about 5 min away and although i have been down there pretty steadly for a couple of weeks i have not been for a week and a bit and i feel i have lost all the ground i had gained.

All my weeds have grown and i just see so many unfinshed jobs.

I went up today and got a bit done but i recon i need 40 hours to get it cleared and the way i want it.

Problem is i have this utopian vision of what it should look like and with the best will in the world i am failing to acheive what i feel i can.

cambourne7

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 22:46:16 »
Little and OFTEN is the key .. Weeds will grow like lightning this month and next .
Best weed control is gardeners shadow ...Unfinished jobs are par for course on lotties I think .You sets about one but always notice something else that is more urgent . Wouldn't it be more boring any other way ?..You needs unfinished projects. :)

Cheers .. Jim

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 23:05:11 »
yes i agree little and often its certainly something the physio hammered into my head.

Going to do a list and try to stick to it!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 23:11:29 »
My previous plots meant i got there once weekly or there-abouts.

I now have hens on my current plot. This way I have to go down at least twice daily. Once to let 'em out, once to lock 'em up at night. Its only a 5 min walk away so I get a bit done each evening. Even if its only 10-15min weeding or putting in one row of seeds.

All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 00:57:50 »
Would like to do little and often but the hours we work mean nearly everything has to be done at weekends. Luckily GH in garden so can sow and look after seedlings.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 11:31:27 »
As I work 12 hour shifts, I'm either at work all day/night or a day off, so I'm lucky I usually have three or four potential days a week to get down the lottie. The weather is my guide, unless it's pouring I go down and get on with my mental list of jobs.

This week, thanks to the rain (at last!) I have spent the last two days potting on squash and chilies at home, popped down from a couple of hours to take some down to my little greenhouse at the lottie yesterday, so will have to make sure I keep an eye on their watering now..... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 12:02:03 »
I work shifts too so when I can get to the lottie depends on my working hours too.   I have a book called "the half hour allotment" & it's full of advice on how to run an allotment on no more than 1/2 hour visits,   the key being pre-planning your visit.

I'm on 12-hours days today & tomorrow so want get near the plot but next week am on nights so will get approx three hours each morning before I go to bed.

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 12:36:28 »
sounds like i need to read that, problem i have is that i go down to do something specific and then get side tracked by something else.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 18:51:22 »
Very easy to do...!

I have a wander round first, in case there is something that needs repair (bigger sticks for my peas today, netting my strawberries as the birds have started to have a go at them), or has been eaten/attacked by something (refilled slug pubs), or needs watering (herbs in pots).

The half hour allotment book suggests you have a strict list of stuff to do, but I could never stick to that! Sometimes I just don't feel like doing much when I get there, but after contemplatory sit down I start getting on with bits and pieces, and somehow it all seems to get done eventually. I find the less time I have available, the more I get done! I did write a list of stuff to do when I first started clearing the plot, just so I could work out a logical order for it all. Crossing off tasks done was very satisfying too and kept me going through the winter. ;D

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007, 20:36:44 »
went to the lotty today about 3 ish and crawled back at 7.30!

I decided that the ground was 2 wet to dig ( would be easier to get a pottery wheel and make a mug )

Do decided to turn my compost (move from one bay into another) and layer in lots of fresh stuff. This was going to come from my cabbage bed which had gone to seed. As i started pulling and yanking i though there was 2 or 3 cabbages i might harvest. Low and behold these were not cabbages they were cauliflowers (odd as i did not grow any).

Took some photos  8)

View of the Bed - http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/P5120601.jpg

Ready to eat Cauli - http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/P5120598.jpg

MiniCauli - http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/P5120596.jpg

Dinner - http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/P5120602.jpg

Not quite ready Cauli -
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/P5120599.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/P5120600.jpg

So feeling very stiff and sore but very chuffed!! Got many admiring glances from other allotment holders.

Camborune7

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007, 20:43:28 »
should think you're chuffed, nice surprise, we got sunflowers and parsnips, coriander and fennel freebies this year but i bet yours tastes nicer  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 20:46:38 »
well this is the thing my other half is not a major fan of cauli.

So i only picked one and its soaking in salt water to take the bug out. Now just have to work out what to do with it maybe soup or cauli cheese?

Does the home grown stuff taste any better than the shop bought stuff?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal