Produce > Edible Plants

row spacings

(1/3) > >>

aquilegia:
So my plan is to have a row of leeks along the back of the veg patch, then a row of parsnips, then a row of carrots, then garlic. Each seed packet says to leave a foot between rows (but I only have two feet. Sorry bad humour coming out today)... except the leeks which saw 18in. So that means I need a total of 3.5ft plus a bit on either side, say 4.5ft. But my veg plot isn't that wide.

Most of the packets say to allow about 6in between plants in rows. Can I use a similar space between rows (or say, 9in)? Do they only need so much room to allow for hoeing?

tim:
I can only suggest that you do as you see fit. Recommended spacings are designed to get the perfect result (?) but many things will give a useful crop if closer.

For instance, I like small leeks and onions, so I space at about 4". Yes, space for hoeing. Or plant so close that no weeds will grow? Try a bit of this and a bit of that? = Tim

Mrs Ava:
I always plant things to close, always, without fail, whether its plants in the garden or seedlings on the lottie.  I kinda try to imagine the eventual size I would hope the veggie to be, and space accordingly.  I don't want a dozen HUGE leeks, I was 40 little tender darlings so like Tim, that is the route I will wander down.  ;D

cleo:
I wonder if some of the spacing advice goes back to the times when gardens were huge,had several gardeners and the `appearance` was important?

Now I plant much closer than suggested, but if I got those numbers an acre walled garden with rows of spaced veg would not be too hard to see ;D

Stephan.

The gardener:
I think you are right there Cleo.

I measure nothing as such.

My spacing is worked out with the head of my rake.

It means when the stuff is growing I have plenty of room to hoe, and rake if needs be.

The other thing is; since the advent of narrow/raised beds etc, and because you don't have to wak on the planted area you can plant a lot closer.

The other thing is if you are not growing for exhibition and are only growing for the pot, there is no need to grow a number of plants to their full potential.

At one time I would grow a big 'drumhead cabbage now I just grow a little Hispi or something like that. So where I grew three cabbage before I grow 5 smaller ones and I think they taste nicer.

I find a five foot wide bed covers most of my needs this allows me four brassicas per row, about eight to ten lettuce, five potatoes to name but a few.

The other thing is I can reach the centre of the bed from either side when weeding.

And as old blue eyes would say;.....I do it my way ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version