Author Topic: Whats in a name  (Read 6966 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Whats in a name
« on: December 19, 2006, 11:59:21 »
'I do not believe it' as Richard Wilson would say, but the Christian name JESSICA  is the most popular Christian name for girls in 2006.

I was given as a first name JESSIE and all my childhood and onwards have been laughed at for having this name.  ( I use my 2nd Christian name ).  Now this name is popular and not before time because wonderful people have had that name  ;D ;D ;D   Anyone else hold a name which used to make them cringe.   :D :D :D 

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Whats in a name
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 13:45:44 »
marilyn, mum thought it would be shortened to lyn, got mal instead, mum liked marilyn munroe..I hated my name  :(

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 14:18:39 »
You'll go a fair way to beat mine.........I was Christened Ena. ::)
What was worse, Coronation street was 'the' soap to watch (if you had a telly). My first year at secondary school could have been pretty awful if I had been a timid child. When we moved from country to town and I changed schools my Ma insisted I change my name to Margaret (middle name). I asked her in later years why Ena - she couldn't think why!!
Don't think I've ever been called Margaret either. ;D

Smile, it confuses people.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 14:39:16 »
Carol! The big slobbering dog next door is called Jessica  heeheehee!!  ;D

The only thing I'm miffed about with names at the moment is that an x factor contestant has my daughter's name...hardly anyone I'd met had heard of my daughter's name and now all the scummy grots will probably call their daughters it. >:(  >:( I don't watch x factor and haven't read the thread about it but I know this woman either won or was close.  Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!! 

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 15:00:34 »
Well I haven't but my wife hates her second name. Her father wanted to name her after his mother-in-law, my wife being her first granddaughter. My wife's grandmothers name was Lily which in this day and age would have been dreadful enough but unfortunately neither the Registrar nor my late father-in law could spell it, so she ended up as LILLY :o :D ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 15:28:45 »
Mary, it sounds such an old fashioned name, i really do not like it never have, when we go to Italy, i always get called Maria which i do like,especially the way the Italian men say it Wowwww!! ;D ;D ;D.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 16:04:44 »
Yer right Heldi we believe you         notttttt.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 16:36:21 »
The oldest boy in our family has been given the same first name for three generations down the male line. None of them use it - all use their second name.

It's Walter :-X

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 16:45:00 »
I don't mind Emma, but I hate being called Ems.  That said, most of my family call me it, and a few chums do, which is fine, but if darling calls me it, I ignore him!  I always knew I was in trouble at school or home when I heard 'EMMA JANE'.  :D

Number one daughter is Jessica.  We had a few possible names when she arrived, but when my darling saw her, he said she is a Jessica and we love it!  We don't shorten it, and neither does she, but some of her friends and teachers to, which makes her cringe.  She will tell you she isn't a Jess but a Jessica!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 17:29:46 »
The eldest son in my family has always had Spence for a middle name for the last few generations; it was my great-grandmother's maiden name. It won't continue; I only have stepdaughters who came with names already attached, and my brother has no kids at all.

tin can

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 17:35:22 »
It appears that my daughter and her partner are related 7 generations ago in the Sephton family!
They are considering getting a dog in the future and calling it Sephton!! ;)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 17:40:20 »
Registered as Robin, but chistened as Robert due to strict grandfather who was at the chistening but not the registration.

I told all the other kids at school I was Rob, as I hated my name and thought it was a girly name.

When I met my wife she was living next door to my mother who always refered to me as Robin so that is what she calls me.

It ain't so bad now apart from xmas, when all my cards have a bloody bird with a red breast on.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 21:53:27 »
Well my Mothers name is Georgina (quite nice now)  but not when I was small...   Dad was Joseph so I could ahve been a Josephine.  Hannah is another Family name fashionable now but not when I was born.  Another family name was Fanny - thank goodness that wasn't considered.  But the only time my father had his own way was naming me.  I was named Sandra Jessie for 2 weeks until Dad had to register my birth.  HE didn't like the name Sandra so he registered me as Jessie Carol .  Good old Dad, he got his own way for once.    ;D ;D ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 22:15:54 »
My Dad was an Albert Edmund, born in 1920 and Mum an Edna, born in 1930. Think I came out fairly well with David and my boys are Philip and Andrew. One of my Dad's brothers was an Ashworth, shortened to Ash which was a preserved matrilineal name, and a friend at scholl had a brother Mitchell for the same reason. As my FIL had no sons and my SIL had daughters our eldest boy has her surname tucked away neatly in the middle. Having spent some time on the family tree that name was given to a baby whose father can't have been mr Kendrew as he was dead for a good two years!
 :-X

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 23:41:04 »
My Mother's name was Rosa Chancellor. Her father was a bargee and she was named after a barge!! When we were feeling really brave we would use her initials and call her   arsey!!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 09:04:16 »
Humph cornykev!  I wondered out loud to my OH how I know what that woman's name is and he said it was him who told me...he'd seen it on the front cover of a newspaper whilst standing in the queue at the co-op. So there!!!  :P  :P  :P :D :D  ;D  ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 09:11:32 »
My Mother's name was Rosa Chancellor. Her father was a bargee and she was named after a barge!! When we were feeling really brave we would use her initials and call her   arsey!!

;D ;D ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 10:50:33 »
we've got Theodore, Elsie, Edie,& Roland as family names, so ours are called Paul, Samantha (Sam) and Alan, wonder why ?   :D

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 13:00:36 »
we had an Auntie Fanny and an Aunty Floss - fortunately those family names weren't passed on. 

I disliked my name as a child as I was named after the Beatles Michelle My Bell song once my mum realised she couldn't spell Jacqueline ::) 

My middle name, Claire, comes from my midwife - apparently I was the first female baby she delivered for 6 months or something - the vicar pronounced it Clara, and I was registered without the 'i' ::) ::) ...

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 13:18:11 »
I hate my first name and gave it away to our Russian Blue cat.....up to that time she only had her Pedigree name, so guess she was grateful for something, anything, specially if it was accompanied with fishy treets....

Got 2 more names.....family call me one, friends the other...

Me'n my schizo life cope very well ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal