Author Topic: Whats in a name  (Read 6972 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Whats in a name
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2006, 09:25:03 »

Also knew a girl who decided at 18 that she no longer liked her first name, Victoria, so changed it to second name, Katherine (but shortened to Kate) and so was called by different names depending upon when they had been introduced to her .

I've got 3 names and all 3 are in use by various groups of friends/family. It all happened quite by chance over the years but it's stuck. So mail addressed to 'A' has got to be from a cyber friend or cyber now RL friend, any addressed to the second initial's from family, while the third which can be either the third initial itself or the initial denoting the contraction of it!, is from RL friends. And then there are the ones addressed to all three initials...now that's gotta be Official, usually to do with some money one of the Govt. Agencies think I owe them.....these get thrown in a drawer unopened. Sorted!

Strangest happening was when a distant v. elderly male rel. died. He had moved to London for the last 20yrs of his life & Lived in Sin ( :o) with a lady there, much to the disapproval of his sister. But 'Uncle Jack' passed away. His sister was too poorly to attend the interment, but later when she was better and the headstone was up, I offered to take her..we found the cemetary and then, following the map,  Jack's plot....his sister looked at the headstone in silence, then burst out "and she couldn't even get his name right!"  His sister had never ever known that her brother, Jack, was actually Christened 'John'...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2006, 09:44:03 »
My wife is Namissa, which is Madingo. The older girl is Olakumbi, which is Yoruba, and the younger is Minata, which is Fula. Including me, that's four languages in one family, does that break all records?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2006, 11:03:32 »
Probably not Robert, but a brave try....
When I first met my wife at University in 1980 she spent months trying to work out my name... went to Uni with several friends from school who all called me Ken/Kenny, a shortening of my surname as there were three davids in our class through school. Her friend, who had come into the sixth form called me David....
poor girl easily confuused!
 ;D

Lillypad

• Quarter Acre
  • Harrogate
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2006, 13:45:06 »
 "so she ended up as LILLY"

So did I when I got married! I always have to spell my surname out and many people insist on spelling it LILLEY. I made sure one and only child had straightforward Christian names with no unusual spellings.

My maiden name was quite unusual and I always had to spell that out as well.

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2006, 15:51:01 »
My mum didn't want my name shortened ~ Lynne ~ she did have a problem as i got older with one of my friends who called me Lynneeeeeeeeeeeee!
I certainly have a problem now with my surname Tiltman ~ imagine the grandchildrens fun ~ caught the grandsons repeatedly saying titman! or making jokes about breasts :o!!!!!
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2006, 09:40:00 »
Maiden names.......oh dear, my tale gets even worse!!!! First name officially Ena, sir name....Hogwood  :o and what's even worse I lived in Hoo.So given that many folks spoke with an estuary accent, I was   
Ena 'ogwood from 'oo.
Married name is very common I'm pleased to say. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2006, 13:24:17 »
Not a lot of people know this - so I'm only going to tell you on condition that you promise not to tell anyone else.  (If you didn't believe my earlier post re Miles and Emma - which I swear is true - you sure as h*ll ain't gonna believe this one - which I also swear is true.) Having suffered throughout my maiden days with the surname of Pyle .............. (remember what you promised and please don't laugh) ............. I managed to fall in love with and marry a Crapper. Thought about hyphenating the two - either way round! - but lost me bottle. You will not be surprised to hear that one of the first things I did after my dear husband died in 1980 was to change our surname by deed poll. Best thing I ever did for my offspring, they tell me.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2006, 13:38:47 »
Maiden names.......oh dear, my tale gets even worse!!!! First name officially Ena, sir name....Hogwood  :o and what's even worse I lived in Hoo.So given that many folks spoke with an estuary accent, I was  
Ena 'ogwood from 'oo.
Married name is very common I'm pleased to say. ;D

Would that be Hoo in darkest Kent by any chance?

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2006, 13:56:12 »
My son is Harry and our surname is Wales - so he is HArry Wales!  (I never saw that one coming!!!! ).  A friend calls him Harry prince of wales!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2006, 14:15:08 »
[/quote]

Would that be Hoo in darkest Kent by any chance?

Louise

[/quote]

Oh yessssss, Ratcliffe 'ighway. Come to think of it even the 2nd line of my address wasn't the most beautiful  ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal