Author Topic: Whats in a name  (Read 6947 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Whats in a name
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2006, 00:11:37 »
.....first 2 have really pretty names. the third? they called her Maud....

But I like Maud! think its a lovely name.
I remember trying to choose names for girls and boys when I was expecting my children, I dearly wanted to have a girl and call her Rachel, but it didn't come about, firstly because I had sons, and secondly because my sister commented that I couldn't possibly call a girl Rachel in case someone with a strong London accent called her, and it would be "Ry-Chawl" which sounds horrible, and that put me off. Not that I've got anything against cockney accents but some names just don't suit the way you speak.
The worst cases of naming I came across were both at work, both were customers, and feel that they must have been through hell as children. One was called Wayne Kerr, one was called Dick Tickle.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2006, 00:15:16 »
A girl in our class in junior school was named Pat Balls  :o Didn't think anything of it then (young and innocent) but have wondered in the past what on earth possessed her parents to call her Patricia.
Smile, it confuses people.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2006, 10:43:38 »
I like Maud, too.  I was at school with a Maureen whom we always called Maud, and she preferred it to Maureen.  Mauds can also rejoice in being the star of a beautiful poem by Tennyson.

I like Walter, too.  A dashing and romantic name from Arthurian legend, not to mention the chivalrous Sir Walter Raleigh.

Wasn't there a pianist called Wayne King?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2006, 10:53:24 »
We had a low ability group with James Bond and Stewart Granger in it... supply staff always felt they were taking the rise...
Sadly James was candidate number 006 when he did his GCSE's!

::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2006, 12:58:39 »
Whan I was working with people with moderate learning disabilities years ago, some of them discovered they could change their names by Deed Poll without paying anything. So I had Elvis Presley and James Dean as clients.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 17:47:35 by Robert_Brenchley »

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2006, 13:06:58 »
I like Maud, too.  I was at school with a Maureen whom we always called Maud, and she preferred it to Maureen.  Mauds can also rejoice in being the star of a beautiful poem by Tennyson.

It was the literary influence that got her the name.

Still think it's pits :(

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2006, 15:01:06 »
I have had the pleasure of teaching Val Garrity and Hazel Nutt.

Plum

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2006, 16:35:19 »
I taught a girl called Sam Yule

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2006, 16:42:15 »
Friend named her daughters Flavia and Lavinia.....our children shortened them to Flav and Lav  ::)

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2006, 17:27:31 »
Keef and I know a bloke named Innocent.

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2006, 17:50:13 »
my husband really wanted our first born named after him, Robert. (nae chance!!) So the minute he was born i said he's being called Andrew, hubby was so beside himself at being a dad he agreed.  8)

when our second son was born he'd wizened up a bit. so 'Callum' is gaelic for Robert, everybody's happy.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2006, 21:54:20 »
A friend of mine really agonised over finding the 'perfect' names for her children. The first born, a boy, was duly named Miles. The second, a girl, was Emma.  So where's the problem? I hear you ask. Amongst their peers the two kids were referred to as Piles and Emmaroids.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2006, 22:38:19 »
 ;D ;D ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2006, 22:43:24 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2006, 09:23:54 »
Can't match that, still laughing, having suffered from both, but No2's (a nurse) Godfather advised her to settle for nothing less that a Consultant.

She took his advice!!! His name begins with C.

And now, instead of TLE, she's TLC. Poetic or something?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 06:54:42 by tim »

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2006, 10:54:12 »
I don't know about anybody else but don't certain names carry personal associations from your very early days? Walter was our milkman, grumpy, stooped and smelly. Arthur the window cleaner was rotund, bouncy and a prankster. Jean was the first girl I ever fell in love with (at 7). Barbara ditto (but slightly later). Bertha was tiny, grossly overweight, very loud  and extremely old. BTW is there nobody here called Hortense, given the subject of this forum? ;D

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2006, 11:32:48 »
As a midwife, I have a pretty good idea of the nations preferences for their newborn......confidentiality forbits me to discuss it of course (but boy could I tell some crackers!), but a midwife friend of mine now working abroad still tells the tale of Mr Kerr, who could not see the problem of naming his firstborn son Wayne............ :o ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

gingerninja38

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2006, 12:04:49 »
i have an aunt called fanny mary - she goes by francis wonder why?!
also uncles named maurice, mervin, noel and raymond. you never hear these names now adays
a cousin called zenco and my daughter is called kennedy.
we have a tradition of unusual names as you can see!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2006, 14:20:41 »
At school there was a girl in my class called Judith, who chose to be called Gladys which I never really understood. I've taught a boy called Innocent and we have a girl called Mercy, recent immigrants fron Nigeria... we also have lots of poles but I can't even spell those except Kamil...
 ::)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2006, 16:44:28 »
hmm, one of our friends names is Jonathan, but for some really strange reason he's known as Doug or Douglass when he's in trouble.

Also knew a girl who decided at 18 that she no longer liked her first name, Victoria, so changed it to second name, Katherine (but shortened to Kate) and so was called by different names depending upon when they had been introduced to her .. her family were just plain confused and used both.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal