Author Topic: Firewall and Antivirus Software  (Read 1953 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Firewall and Antivirus Software
« on: August 01, 2006, 15:24:53 »
Are some of these a big con?

The ones i refer to are those where you go out and buy the software, but then have to pay a subscription to the makers to keep it up to date. I mean what is this all about, what are you paying for when you buy the software in the first place!

Norton/Symantec are the worst at this.  I got two versions of their 'Internet Security' software with my new laptop a few months ago. One was last years version preinstalled on the machine, the other was sold to me by the shop (PC world) and is this years version. One came with 90 days free virus subscription (which has just run out) the other 366 days (one year). I have just installed the 2006 version to get the extra 12 months of updates.

I had a similar experience with my desktop PC. It too had a version of Norton Antivirus with a 12 month update subscription. When this ran out I went without updates for a while until i had a problem and realised i needed upto date protection. Instead of subscribing i found a very good free antivirus software (AVG) which came with free updates. At the same time i got hold of a free version of Mcaffe Personal Firewall and have been running with them fine ever since. However I have now decided to run the Norton software on both computers and get full benefit of the update subscription and the software. This of course will only last until 1 August 2007 when something new will have to be sorted out.

The thing that gets me is, if one firm can offer antivirus software updates for free or included in the price of the software, why cant they all do it? Answer - beause the want to make money. By having a limited time on free updates they then force people to either take out a subscription or buy updated new software.  Might make 'loadsa dosh' but wont inspire customer loyalty, since many will go elsewhere to find something cheaper.

Another thing that annoys me is that you never find out about the update subscription untill AFTER you have bought the software. Nothing on the packaging to indicate it (though to be fair there is info available when you buy online).

N.B. I see mcafee (who used to ofer good value) have also joined the bandwagon.

So, anyone got any veiws on this, had a similar experience or got any tip sor tricks to get around the problem. I look forward to reading your replies!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 15:28:02 by Garden Cadet »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Firewall and Antivirus Software
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 15:29:10 »
I use AVG, have a router which also acts as a firewall, and generally have no problems. On the rare occasions when something has slipped through, then I have two experienced sons to give me assistance.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 16:16:19 »
AVG free for me at home too

At work I have installed the pro AVG license on 50+ machines even when I purchase machines that come pre-installed with Norton Security - AVG charge us £5 per machine for a two year license + Vat!

For firewalls I use the software Zone alarm  (also free) and my routers hardware firewall. Hardware firewalls are OK basically a high end port blocker but unless you update the firmware you are stuck with the firewall you were sold so mine is at least 3 years out of date. Hence the regularly updating ZA which also has the advantage of using hierarchical analysis.

The best solution IMO though is extension blocking via email if you have software that can do this, I use my mail server, just block all the malicious file extensions that no-one will ever send you eg exe, pif, bat, com etc almost makes the AV redundant.

Ian
 - hope this didn't sound to Geeky but I'm @ work and got my professional head on!

BTW it's amazing how much faster a machine runs after Nortons IS is installed

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 16:27:46 »
I also use the personal (free) version of AVG antivirus software, along with the personal (free) version of ZoneAlarm firewall.., and to catch the rest I use lavasoft's personal version of Adaware (also free) which takes care of the spyware... data miners, trackers, browser infiltraters, and the like.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 16:47:01 »
 ;)

Snap Gadfium! I do all that too, I read iggy's post and put it all on my new pc. No probs so far...

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 19:29:27 »
our router has a firewall apparently, i swear by AVG - would NEVER pay for anything else cos you just don't need to.  I refer to Symantic/NAI to use their library of viruses and hoaxes but would never pay for their programme again.

Also run Adaware, SpyBot, Spyware Blaster.  All free all updated and run regularly.

I'm always deadcareful about what i'm opening and i've been clean now for ages as a result of taking careful precautions and practising safe surfing   :P
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 22:23:45 »
our router has a firewall apparently, i swear by AVG - would NEVER pay for anything else cos you just don't need to.  I refer to Symantic/NAI to use their library of viruses and hoaxes but would never pay for their programme again.

Also run Adaware, SpyBot, Spyware Blaster.  All free all updated and run regularly.

I'm always deadcareful about what i'm opening and i've been clean now for ages as a result of taking careful precautions and practising safe surfing   :P

Be carefull using so many bits of software from different makers. Can cause conflict problems. I guess you really only need Antivirus and firewall software.

Looks like AVG is a good bet. I have already decided if I have any problems with Norton it will be straight back to AVG. I shall certainly be back to it when the subscription runs out on norton!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 05:11:56 »
message received and undestood, but these have been tried and tested (on our two computers) for years with no conflicts at all.  I've often wondered if they deliberately write the "pay for" programmes with conflicts written into them ! :o
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 07:42:03 »
The conflicts GC mentions are usually only seen when you have multiple instances of AV software running at once. As each AV scans every file as it is being used behind the scenes the other AV software will interpret this as virus like activity and flag it up. The original AV will then interpret the flagging of the virus as virus like activity and flag it ..... and they go round and round in circles eating memory cycles and grinding your computer to a halt.

Multiple software firewalls are OK but they are basically just doing the same job and you may need to tell each firewall to let the other firewall work, you only need one.

Adware scanners etc - have as many of these as you want but only one up to date version is required these generally only work when scheduled or are told to run by the user so don't conflict with each other unless multiple instances are set running at the same time.

RE; is it a con to charge - as much as I hate to say it these companies have to make money and have to keep working on virus definitions after they have sold the product so charging is a reasonable idea. The free versions make their money by selling to corporate users after they et individuals to test and get accustomed to using them at home.
My problem is who writes viruses - I'm sure some of the big companies come up with solutions  too quickly - AV is a reaction not proaction industry - would it be too cynical of me to say if they were having a bad week to write a virus to increase sales!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal