Produce > Non Edible Plants

Disaster looming?

(1/3) > >>

Garden Manager:
Just when you started tho think winter was giving it a miss this year, then it arrives with a vengeance - or so the weathermen are saying.

With all the mild weather we have BEEN  having the garden has started to wake up early this year.  Here we are end of January and it feels like spring is almost here.  Buds breaking on shrubs and climbers, perennials starting into growth, early spring flowers earlier than ever it seems.
It just seems sooo unfair then that it could be all wiped out in the next week or so :(. OK it wont be as cold down here in Dorset as many parts of the country, but it will be bad enough, and will hit those plants what think it is spring, hard.  I can see that as a presult of this short sharp winter, spring will be late not early as proviously indicated. ::)

Oh well i suppose it will kill a few pests, so perhps it is not all bad news. :-/

Piglet:
I know what you mean, my spring bulbs are coming through too:-

Last Autumn I had another go at Tulips (tried once before but didnt do any good bulbs must have rotted off).  This year they are coming through already (in pots) - if the snow appears is this going to harm them ?

Piglet  ???

gavin:
Hi there - my birthday's on the 2nd Feb, and it's ALWAYS been a cold, wintry, bitter week - in my memory!  Much more reliable than wintry weather in the first week of January, and it doesn't matter how mild the previous weeks have been.

All best - and shivering! - Gavin

Garden Manager:
With such weather i try to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  I spent this morning busy preparing the garden for the worst, while hoping all the time it wont be as basa s they are forecasting.

Personaly i dont think it will be as bad as they are predicting, at least not in the south.  I suspect that yet again the met people are sensationalising, playing the doomsayers by making things sound worse than they really will be.  I could be totaly wrong, very easily of course, but I'll like to bet i am right.

As far as protecting the garden for such weather is concerned i only worry about the most vunerable plants.  Small plants, those growing in pots and those of borderline hardiness get the attention, while others are left to tough it out, which 99% do.

I tend to grow plants 'hard' ie not overfed or watered, I find they stand up to the rigours of british climate better this way if they have to largely look after themselves.

Doris_Pinks:
Piglet, the snow shouldn't harm your bulbs, they usually just have a check in their growth, stop growing, and wait for the warmer weather to come back, when they start up again. If you are really worried about them a layer of fleece on the top would help. I am afraid I let all my plants fend for themselves, (except my banana plant which has been wrapped up in straw for months!) If I loose them, then I don't want em, I like to keep my garden as hassel free as poss!! DP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version