Produce > Edible Plants

Chillis

(1/5) > >>

good_life_girl:
I've got a couple of chilli plants indoors (no greenhouse and a bit chilly (hur hur!) outside), they're flowering like mad but once the flowers are over they just dry up and drop off so no fruit.

I'm guessing that this is because they're not being pollinated? So, aside from inviting in some local bees, what can I do? I recall reading something about paintbrushes, but when, how, where?!

Mrs Ava:
hmmm, I am no pollinating expert, but I believe once the flowers are fully open, just tickle the middles with a very soft paintbrush, so by moving from flower to flower you are pollinating them.  I grow lots of chillis, and another reason for them shedding flowers is lack of water - they are suprisingly thirsty.  Hope this helps. ;D

Hyacinth:
I've just potted up 3 outdoor chillies and brought them indoors; they've loads of flowers, so I'll be tickling my plants, too ;D During the summer the outdoor ones were included in the Tomorite feeding schedule, & I plan to continue feeding them.  Worth giving it a go. - Lishka

good_life_girl:
Cheers guys... tried a bit of 'tickling' last night so will see what happens. Hadn't thought of feeding - I've got plenty of tomato feed left over, so will try that as well!
Goodness only knows what they'll be like if I succeed in growing any as the seeds were from a mixed packet with all the instructions in Italian!!

Hyacinth:
I parlo the old Italiano, so if you ever need any help, just ask..cheers! Lishka

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version