Author Topic: supporting your beans and peas  (Read 14320 times)

plainleaf

• Hectare
supporting your beans and peas
« on: January 09, 2012, 15:14:54 »
i think a tread on this subject is need so here goes.

lets see picture of yours and others bean support design.

there are teepees. willow weaves (see alys fowler guardian blog http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/video/2011/may/05/alys-fowler-growing-beans-peas-allotment-video?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3486) , frames and strings  and many more i can not accurately describe with words. So lets see picture of you bean and pea supports
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 15:26:46 by plainleaf »

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
Re: supporting your beans and peas
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 15:51:42 »
I'll be copying davyw1's design (pic on hoop house thread) I hadn't thought about the beans hanging down on the outside of the structure and being easily accessible which sounds like a great idea.

Friends always welcome on the plot, weeds by appointment only.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 16:14:44 »
Last year we grew ours over arches that had been joined together.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 16:23:20 »
Oh I like the arch idea! I have some Wilko arches that I bought in the sale last year.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 16:45:28 »
I use wigwams; one for each bean variety.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 17:20:30 »
Robert teepee and wigwam not same:

teepee

wigwam

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 17:38:40 »
My peas did very well last year on chicken wire.  Two lines of it.  My lovely bean pole structure has blown down in the wind, but I did manage to rescue it yesterday.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 17:43:02 »
I grow them up a single row of bamboo canes which are supported at each end and across the top by a strong metal frame. It's easy to pick them from behind the row.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 17:55:25 »
Oh I like the arch idea! I have some Wilko arches that I bought in the sale last year.
Yes they are what we used
                             I want em saying

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 18:03:41 »
Plainleaf what about all the other wigwam images on Google that look just like teepees,  and which we Brits rightly call wigwams!

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wigwam&hl=en&rlz=1C1_____en-GBGB461GB461&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=qysLT4vGE4brOaP_9KQI&ved=0CJkBELAE&biw=1024&bih=653
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 18:05:38 »
Willow is a bit of an issue to work with since it has an astounding ability to put down roots even on a piece of twig that looks apparently dead.  They are then very difficult to remove.

I am sure you are right PL about the difference between a wigwam and a teepee but for us they are the same.   So a conical bean frame made out of bamboo or hazel we call a wigwam.  A tent structure is also known as a teepee.   Never seen what you call a wigwam before.  Interesting.  I think we might call it a igloo.  (I know - they are made of ice) The nearest we have is a geodesic dome.  As you are rather aware there are a number of differences between English and American and this is one of them.  We have been going our separate ways now since 1776.  Perhaps the surprise is that the two languages still are so alike.  Is it perhaps time you got to grips with the differences?  We are unlikely to change even for you. ;D  But nice pics.

I do have enough hazel for one row, I think they like it better than bamboo.  Peas I certainly use hazel.  

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 18:44:37 »
Shirlton - how did you get on with your arches with beans? Duke is thinking of doing it but both years I have done this the wilkies arches collapsed - the metal seemed to have bent and broken. I thought it might be both wind and the green beans growing at different rates putting pressure on different bits.....? It looked great and did the job though till it collapsed!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 18:48:23 »
Robert teepee and wigwam not same:

PL,

And you need to point this out because ........?

Here I have one metal structure and fix two rows of bean sticks to the top inverted 'V' fashion.  The rest go on individual wigwams same as Robert.  The peas go onto obelisks or onto structures made out of 4 bean sticks with garden twine going around to keep them contained.

OH has been giving me 'panda stix' for birthdays and Christmasses to replace my ancient broken bamboos.  These are made out of recycled plastic and last forever.  They are not cheap (3-4 times the cost of bamboos), but last forever. 

I like the willow arch in the video, ok on the rooting problems.  In a way, rooting will make the arch stronger I guess, but then fertility and water is taken away by the growing willow, which isn't such a good idea.

The Munty frame springs to mind.  Have seen one recently with runnerbeans on it.  A good idea for space saving gardening and it works well too.  Not tried it myself.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 18:55:09 »
Shirlton - how did you get on with your arches with beans? Duke is thinking of doing it but both years I have done this the wilkies arches collapsed - the metal seemed to have bent and broken. I thought it might be both wind and the green beans growing at different rates putting pressure on different bits.....? It looked great and did the job though till it collapsed!

Tony did put strengtheners in them

I want em saying

Ophi

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 19:21:29 »
Thanks plainleaf, I just spent a happy half hour reading how to construct a wigwam.  Most interesting.

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 19:38:21 »
Willow is a bit of an issue to work with since it has an astounding ability to put down roots even on a piece of twig that looks apparently dead.  They are then very difficult to remove.

I am sure you are right PL about the difference between a wigwam and a teepee but for us they are the same.   So a conical bean frame made out of bamboo or hazel we call a wigwam.  A tent structure is also known as a teepee.   Never seen what you call a wigwam before.  Interesting.  I think we might call it a igloo.  (I know - they are made of ice) The nearest we have is a geodesic dome.  As you are rather aware there are a number of differences between English and American and this is one of them.  We have been going our separate ways now since 1776.  Perhaps the surprise is that the two languages still are so alike.  Is it perhaps time you got to grips with the differences?  We are unlikely to change even for you. ;D  But nice pics.

I do have enough hazel for one row, I think they like it better than bamboo.  Peas I certainly use hazel.  

Slightly of the "bean support theme"  but the wigwam in the picture would be called a bender here  ;)
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 20:25:11 »
darkbrowneggs  a bender in usa is either a device for bending things or being drunk all weekend.

net trellis

http://www.growgardentomatoes.com/image-files/tomato-trellis-4.jpg

Copyright image removed
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 20:44:15 by ceres »

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 22:56:41 »
I made myself a munty frame from bamboo canes and string brilliant for all my peas and beans also planted toms and lettuce underneath. Still standing now 18 months later after all the recent winds.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 23:35:41 »
I made myself a munty frame from bamboo canes and string brilliant for all my peas and beans also planted toms and lettuce underneath. Still standing now 18 months later after all the recent winds.

Have you got instructions please

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 05:57:04 »

Have you got instructions please

We had a discussion about them here (with photos)

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=61624.0
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal