Author Topic: Long Eared Owls  (Read 3803 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Long Eared Owls
« on: January 16, 2011, 18:52:14 »
A month ago when we had just had a snowfall, my OH looked up at some conifers near the house and saw a bird sitting there.  We went upstairs to get a better look and realised that there were two owls sitting about 12 feet (4 metres) away.  We then took quite a few photos and the one below was the winner of the December competition.

I opened the bedroom window to get the above shot but the main subject didn’t like my being so close and eventually flew off.  Most of the photos I took were taken through the glass so are not so clear but some of them are below.  

Every day since then we have had owls regularly in the tree and there may have been four on some occasions but sometimes they are difficult to see especially if they are on the other side of the trunk.  I don’t want my neighbours to know as I want as little disturbance as possible.  

I sent some photos off to UK Safari and had an email saying what a lucky lady I was as little is known about these owls as they are not spotted very often.  I also sent an email to the manager of Chris Packham’s website.  The reply was from Chris himself !  He has forwarded my email to the Spring Watch team but he said they are all in hibernation at the moment.  

John started cutting the conifers down last year but gave up when he was diagnosed with cancer.  He had already cut down those nearest the house.  He won’t touch the remaining ones now though especially as Chris said  “Tell you husband he must now leave the rest of the conifers as these
are not particularly common birds and will return to favourable roosts year after year ! Good excuse too !"

Those trees that have gone gave a lot of protection as the ones that are left really get blown about in the wind.  Only one owl has perched there these past two days and really gets swung around in the strong winds we are having.  

I feel over the moon with my new found friends and to think they may have roosted there for years and not been noticed.    :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 18:54:27 by Paulines7 »

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Long Eared Owls
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 19:12:43 »
Oh lucky you, I am just a teeny bit envious as I've always been fascinated by owls but have rarely seen any outside of captivity, and never like that!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 19:14:34 »
Fantastic photos and those eyes looking straight at you!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 19:17:50 »
The photographs are so great, well done.  I just love the expression on its face.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 19:29:25 »
Great photos - looking right at you like that.  I've been lucky to see all the owls in the wild except for the eagle owl - owls are such charismatic birds aren't they.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 19:32:48 »
Absolutely fantastic Pauline,  I am just so envious of you.  Wonderful thing to have happened to you to have these lovely birds roosting in your conifers.  I am sure they will keep coming back.  I am sure you will now keep an eye open for them.   Great pictures as well, well done.

:D :D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 19:59:37 »
Thank you all for your lovely comments. 

I had a scope for Christmas but these owls are too near for it!  ::)  It is ideal for watching the hares up in the fields though.   

I have to be very careful of a morning when I draw the curtains back and I duck down so they cannot see me.  I give them a few minutes and then perch on the end of the bed, get my binoculars out and see how many there are.  Sometimes one of them spots me with its eagle eyes so I have to very slowly move away from sight.  I have another look 20 minutes later and often find the eagle-eyed bird has gone to sleep. 

My whole life has been uplifted by having these owls so close.  It means so much to me.  The only thing that I am sad about is that they eat small birds.  I need to keep a record of the contents of every pellet I dissect.  We do have a lot of voles in the paddock though so hopefully I will find more of their bones than my little feathered friends.

When it becomes dusk, it is lovely to see the owls fly off on their hunt.  They are so silent in flight.  Of an evening when I take the dog out for her walk, I often hear the owls call.  It's not a twit- twoo but a lowly wooo.  I think to myself ah, they are my owls ....and a deep glow comes over me. 

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 20:30:50 »
  :) lovely story and fab pics Pauline / shades x
grow your own way

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 20:42:26 »
You are so lucky, is there any chance of them breeding? Amazing photos and you might get on springwatch too  :) :)

Saw a baby owl in the neighbours garden when I was young. You could walk right up to where it was in the shrubs. Dads got a great photo somewhere.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 21:07:56 »
I can imagine how you feel because I would be the same.  I do like Owls but yours are precious.

I have been a bit worried about the local Barn Owls and wondering if they have survived the 7 weeks of snow.  I saw the local Land owner today and asked if he had seen or heard the Barn owls, and he had!!!  woopee.  I can honestly say I was really pleased with this news. 

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 21:42:43 »
Fantastic photos and story to go with them Pauline. Thank you for sharing with us.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 00:02:31 »
You are so lucky, is there any chance of them breeding?

I hope they will.  I have been doing a lot of reading about them and they like to take over old nests of crows, magpies, pigeons etc. 

They will also use a hanging basket that has sticks through it.  I fancy trying this idea out but it could be difficult getting it far enough up a tree and it would have to be done at night when the owls are away hunting.  I wouldn't put it too near where they roost in case it frightens them away but maybe somewhere in one of the nearby conifers. 

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 09:44:59 »
How lucky you are to have such gorgeous birds in your garden Pauline!

Fabulus photos, too!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 09:53:11 »
How lovely.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 11:47:34 »
Brilliant photos and story to match!  How lucky you are to have them :).  I can hear owls but not see them here.
War on slugs and snails!!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 07:40:38 »
Wow what a special treat, how lucky are you  :)
Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures, stunning.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 08:58:07 »
Pauline, I was so excited seeing your great photos of the rare owls. the markings and eyes are beautiful. I guess you don't have a mouse population problem with them around.

We've only once seen a Long Eared Owl and he also was at the top of a conifer but we didn't have a good enough camera to catch him. We repeatedly went outside during the day and looked up the tree trunk at him, and though he'd turn and look down at us. he remained there the whole day. Maybe he was sick that day and too tired to find another tree because he never came back there to roost as far as we know. Also, this is Barred Owl territory- maybe the two don't mix.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal