Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 2459 times)

Jayne

Where to start?
« on: December 05, 2008, 14:47:10 »
Hello everyone, I am brand new to allotments and this site.  I have read lots on here and all seems great.  I've just taken on a neglected plot that needs digging over, it is riddled with bindweed which I  am not loving!!!  The cheeky stuff is even starting to stick out of the ground!!!  >:(  I dig and dig and pick it out and just as I think I am getting to the root (which I am frightened will be like Jabba the Hut) I hear a darn 'snap' and realise I must dig more  :)

I just wondered what were the most important things you learnt when you started?  Not just about bindweed (which I've read up on on this site), but about anything to do with allotments.  What advice or thoughts can you offer a newby

Thanks in advance
Jayne

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
Re: Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 14:53:29 »
Jayne,

if you have not done so already click on wiki at the top of the page and then click on For Newbies to find useful links to sites that are run by some of the A4A members.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 15:02:07 »
welcome to the site jayne,and to the wonderful world of allotmenteering.sounds like youve made a cracking start already.my best advice would be to carry on digging them weeds out and get it all nice and clear ready for next years planting.and buy yourself a little gas stove for essential tea making in your shed.plenty of others will be along to give more advice im sure,in the meantime enjoy enjoy!good luck with it
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 15:10:01 »
Like you we started with a neglected and extremely weed covered plot containing bindweed and couch grass, nettles and comfrey growing everywhere!
My advice which was given to me and I found worked really well~~~~~cover the plot with carpet or heavy duty black plastic. Weed and dig a section at a time. Take it easy.... take plenty of rests....keep working methodically. On our plot we dug out as many weed roots and weeds as possible. I chose not to use weed killers. Some others used  rotivators and they have much more weeds than we have. However I still expect to have lots of weeding to do  next season. 2008 was my first year.

Good luck with your plot!!

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 15:44:15 »
hiya, jayne, welcome to the site  ;D
we made a paper plan, marked out where the beds were, covered the paths and dug the beds out..little by little, don't walk on the soil you've dug  :)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 18:43:03 »
Hi Jayne and welcome.

Like Manic said, little by little is best.

When you've got a little bit done, turn your back on the rest and don't look at it. Always leave your plot with pride in what you've done, not with despair at what you have'nt. It's suprising how quick it'll get done.

Good luck.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 20:43:55 »
welcome to the site all the advice given so far is right on the button, so i will only add don't forget take photos and don't forget to show us so we could congratulate you on jobs well done :)

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 21:57:34 »
do what i do when i finish turning over a section...i slam the spade into the ground and say f**k you
works for me  :D
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 22:05:30 »
Don't try to clear the plot all in one go. As you clear a bit, plant something in it so that you can see something growing and it will all feel worthwhile, especially when you start to pick your own produce.

And although you are doing exactly the right thing by trying to dig out every bit of bindweed and other roots, unfortunately you will never get rid of all of it so don't get disheartened when it starts to grow through again next year - its all part of the fun!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 22:07:39 »
Dig in,  don't give up & you will reap the rewards.   ;)  Weclome to the site.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 22:24:06 »
Welcome Jayne, the one thing I have learnt is their is more than one way to get where you want to be! Every one has a different take but as I was told on taking on my plot find what works for you and go for it.
Walk away having enjoyed your session, leaving  some for another day, if it becomes a chore it's time to leave.
Happy days ahead
luv Sysie

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 17:05:26 »
Welcome to the site Jayne......  :)

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 07:58:44 »
Jayne,

Harriet, a new plot holder on our site, has just written up her first year experiences.

http://www.sunningdaleallotments.org.uk/FirstYearExperiences.html

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 08:31:08 »
Jayne,

Harriet, a new plot holder on our site, has just written up her first year experiences.

http://www.sunningdaleallotments.org.uk/FirstYearExperiences.html

I enjoyed reading Harriet's article. My advice is to take photos as you go along (you will be amazed when you look back). http://lottieplotfour.blogspot.com is our blog. This is the end of our 2nd year as  lottie owners, but only the first with plot 4. The plot was in a complete state when we took it on and the photos have been really motivational. My second biggest tip is to watch what the other people on your site do and then copy! Many of them have been on the site for years and they know what types of plants and methods do well in the local conditions.

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 19:20:01 »
I have had my plot since October and the best advice I have had up to now Is
start at one end and work your way to the other end

(sounds simple but you would be amazed at the number of people that seem to dot around there plot and then find it is to much for them because they cannot see the progress they have made)

and always face  towards the bits you have done when you are digging so you can pretend whats behind you is already done (well until you have to dig it tomorrow ::) )

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 00:38:51 »
Hiya Jayne and a big welcome from me too ;D

Little and often hun, I certainly agree take lots of pics for motivation...........and us nosy lot :D :D 8) ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 09:43:51 »
Only just caught up with you Jayne. Welcome to the site. We started 3 years ago and although it's hard graft it's well worth it. The other members have all given you really good advice. Just try to get to your plot regularly. When the Spring comes and the weeds start to grow you will understand why. You will have a continual battle with the bindweed cos it's roots go way down but other perrenial weeds only need getting out once before they set seed.  Don't forget the pics.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 10:26:32 »
I keep a journal for each year, sowing dates  ,potato details, cutting garden ideas etc,etc also things like kitchen paper where I have kept seeds from a tomato I was eating, the plans for those brilliant paper pots. There will be wet days!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 10:46:56 »
Welcome Jayne.  On the issue of covering - if you do use carpet be aware that after a few doses of the wet stuff it can be incredibly heavy to shift and avoid using the stuff with the rubber backing as it'll just disintegrate all over your plot.  Oh and plenty of flasks of tea/coffee/vodka - anything that'll keep you warm!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Crash

• Half Acre
  • Viva Las Vegas
    • Crash n Donnas blog
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 14:31:25 »
I totally agree with the last person... I've had my plot for three years now and I'm still finding buried carpet on parts that I don't use very often.

Don't bite off more than you can chew. If you have a big plot don't try to get it all done straight away.

Don't get disheartened if something doesn't work. Just remember where you went wrong next year.

Make lots of friends on the field. The old boys have a wealth of information and I've found they are more than willing to part with it. Warning... On our field they won't interfere if they can see that you're not doing it right until you ask.

Plant lots of short rows. My biggest mistake is having a 20' row of radish(insert many other types of produce here) all ready at same time.

Get a good book on pickles/chutney/preserving.

Don't turn away a chest freezer if you get offered one.

Enjoy yourself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal