Author Topic: when is the next opportunity to plant out potatoes?  (Read 18565 times)

bajmoe

• Not So New ...
when is the next opportunity to plant out potatoes?
« on: June 19, 2008, 10:39:44 »
I never got my allotment till June so never had the chance to plant potatoes, the books i have say plant out march April may, but i have noticed a well know seeds company is offering Seed Potato Charlotte for delivery in July!

Seed Potato Charlotte 
A classic variety!
Delicious new potatoes from October to Christmas!
A classic salad potato against which others are judged! Produces good numbers of medium sized oval tubers with a very fine flavour. Very waxy when young and perfect hot or cold. Good blight and scab resistance.
2 kg pack
Delivery: July

or

Seed Potato Maris Peer 
A well known favourite!
Delicious new potatoes from October to Christmas!
A reliable and well known favourite yielding mellow-tasting round white tubers. Eat them warm or save and use in salads as they will not discolour after cooking. Resistant to scab which can be a problem in dry, late summer soils.
2 kg pack
Delivery: July

when is the next opportunity to plant out potatoes?

bajmoe

"I think that little by little I'll be able to solve my own problems and survive."

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: when is the next opportunity to plant out potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 15:32:17 »
You can try to grow potatoes by planting now... but it will be a race against frosts... as the season strats to pull in and they are very likely to get blight which can be at it's worst at the start of Autumn...  :-\

flowergirl

• Half Acre
  • i'm not the pretty blonde
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 21:06:23 »
I too have the same problem.  I am desperate to get some second mains in !!  I also read the same advert.  But after hours of research have been left confused.  I am tempted to do the most sacrilege of things and...wait for it....plant Morrison's own..... Maris piper:-X.

I know people will be gasping and hissing but i don't know what all the fuss is about.  Is it really such a bad thing to plant non seed potatoes??  I did this at home before I got my allotment and had not 1 problem.

I don't plan on planting them in the same area of my plot next year?

Oh GOD I am confused :'(

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 21:14:47 »
I'd buy the seed and get them in bajmoe, you may have to protect them later on but its worth a go.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 23:46:52 »
They are advertising second crop potatoes for growing as new potatoes for harvesting at Christmas. They deliver late July and you plant asap with a view to harvesting in December. I've tried with minimal success for the last two years as both times the crop has been wiped by blight in late October. Usually by the time you notice you've got it it's too late to do anything about it. Last year mine went from healthy to dead in 4 days.
The problem I have is that although I plant in tubs I can't get them into the green house until the tomatoes and cucumbers finish fruiting, which is usually about3 weeks after the potatoes have been wiped out.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 05:19:50 »
Said it before, but I'll repeat - planted Cara 25 June, lifting 2 September.

For an Autumn crop, I would prefer the Maris Peer.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 13:01:48 »
Vivaldi (from Sinsbury's) sown in container at home in October - came up in late January and harvested in April (is that a record for the length of time for a second early?)

RHS advise that second earlies like Maris Peer, Charlotte are best for late planting

Someone suggested on this forum (a while back) that supermarket potatoes may be treated to extend their shelf life and this slows down or even prevents germination. So, if you do go down the supermarket route, it might be best to buy organic. Also as already mentioned, grow at home in containers so that they can be protected from frost and if there is a problem it won't spread to the allotment.  If up at the allotment I think it better to be safe than (very) sorry and to use proper seed potatoes.

bajmoe

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 13:12:38 »
I have just had a reply from the seed suppiler, who is selling the potatoes for july delivery

Thank you bajmoe for your email.
Once received the late season new potatoes Maris Peer & Charlotte can be planted straight away whilst the soil is still warm.  The first potatoes can then be dug from late October or kept in the ground for harvesting nearer Christmas. I hope this response is helpful to you

i think i'll try it !

bajmoe

"If we can connect in some tiny way with a human that doesn't agree with us, then maybe we won't blow up the planet."
"I think that little by little I'll be able to solve my own problems and survive."

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 18:46:39 »
As a farmer boy,

we have just prepaired 100 acres of potato land ready for july and we will be planting Charlotte seed. we will then lift around 2/3 week of november ;)
today i will be growin veg!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 19:03:55 »
Watch your back!!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 20:01:04 »
I received a new Dobies catalogue today with much more about second potato crops than I have seen before.  I am quite tempted to have a go...

http://www.dobies.co.uk/pl_Potatoes.htm

T.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 23:49:58 »
I got given some seed potatoes a while back and never got around to planting them, there in my shed do you think these would work for christmas potatoes?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 19:49:40 »
Several of our members do this regularly with success.

I would certainly try, there is not much else you can do with them.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 08:05:53 »
I too have the same problem.  I am desperate to get some second mains in !!  I also read the same advert.  But after hours of research have been left confused.  I am tempted to do the most sacrilege of things and...wait for it....plant Morrison's own..... Maris piper:-X.

I know people will be gasping and hissing but i don't know what all the fuss is about.  Is it really such a bad thing to plant non seed potatoes??  I did this at home before I got my allotment and had not 1 problem.

I don't plan on planting them in the same area of my plot next year?

Oh GOD I am confused :'(

I put some Maris piper in a dustbin bought from the same company as you that started chitting in the cupboard they are 2ft above the bin now set another dustbin of 3 weeks ago that are peeping through the first layer of compost and gonna try another in a couple of weeks,we don't eat that may potatoes so for the sake of 4 potatoes that have gone to seed so to speak we may have some for Christmas
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal