Author Topic: Lidls Maribel Jam Jars!!  (Read 9597 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Lidls Maribel Jam Jars!!
« on: February 20, 2012, 19:00:11 »
I quite like this jam and buy it when I have no more home made jam. Does anyone know if there is a lid that can be bought somewhere for these jars? The original lids are not suitable for chutneys etc. The original lid has quite an unusal thread with the groves being at the bottom of the neck ...(if you know what I mean?) I have quite a few of these jars and would like to use them for this years chutney making.........help!!!!!!! ???

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

pumkinlover

Re: Lidls Maribel Jam Jars!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 19:01:38 »
Why are not suitable for chutneys Duke?
I use them,  am I doing wrong?

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 19:07:00 »
Hello Pumpkinlover,

Some of my chutneys I do keep for a long time.  The chutney I put in the Maribel Jars and used the Maribel Lid the lid rusted/corroded. All my other lids were okay.
The coating on the Maribel lids may not be very thick.
If you haven't had a problem maybe I might try again, but I would eventually like to find new lids for the jars as lids dont last forever. 

Duke

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 19:19:22 »
I don't know the Maribel jam jars but have you tried Lakeland? I buy lids there which I  use when I make lemon curd.

YL

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 19:21:21 »
Ah thanks Duke!  I can see why you want to save them- they are dinky and really thick glass.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 19:35:20 »
Yes I do like the jars :) Ive tried Lakeland but their lids do not fit   :'(

Duke

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 20:12:59 »
I am just wondering here..

if they are different to regular jam jars from the shops and are thicker glass they may be canning jars, it is rare in the UK to see food packed for sale in them but it is not impossible, I bought a type of spaghetti sauce when there that was a canning jar and the US lids and rings fir perfectly..

Could you post a picture and give me the external measurement of the neck, I can compare with mine here, if the same I can send you some rings and caps that would allow them to function as good canning jars.. it;s worth a shot

They would be very worth saving if the above is right and a good thing to know for UK folks.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 21:58:36 »
Here you are Jeannine.  I also sent you a PM
The measurement of the jars are 6.4cm across the tops.
I haven't been able to find lids anywhere here and current Kilner jar Screw lids do not fit these jars.
I hope you can help.

Duke

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 22:00:52 by Duke Ellington »

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 22:12:59 »
What about using a circle of greaseproof paper between chutney and original lid to protect from the acid?

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 23:07:32 »
I sometimes use the cellophane jam jar covers the same way as Jill is describing :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 09:58:15 »
Thanks for all your suggestions. I have since found out that Branston pickle lids fit the Maribel jars. My OH used to love Branston but has stopped eating it after being introduced to home made chutneys. ::)
oh well  :P

Duke

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 16:43:21 »
If you are an instant coffee person get this stuff, douwe egberts. Lovely jars with a nice tight seal in the stopper lid, not half bad coffee for instant stuff  and nearly always on offer in one or the other major supermarkets

Or if you are a bit flush go to ikea and get their cheap kilner wannabees

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 13:55:47 »
Thanks to Jeannine's efforts to ensure that we are aware of the correct way  to safely bottle, pickle and preserve our produce. This means we need the correct type of jars and lids.
Slom jars look nice- I thought is said Sloe ( too much sloe gin pickled the old brain!)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 18:09:50 »
Don't want to get myself into hot water again..but bear in mind that jars that use rubber rings are no longer considred safe by USDA as the seal is notorious for failing in storage.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 18:52:09 »
Don't want to get myself into hot water again..but bear in mind that jars that use rubber rings are no longer considred safe by USDA as the seal is notorious for failing in storage.

XX Jeannine
Yes I will agree on that one,I'm in the UK and I've just started buying the 0.5L/1LB Screw top Kilner Jars from Morrison's Supermarket £1-25p 0.5 Litre and £2 for the 1 Litre ones ready for this years pickles and chutneys after my clip-top jar beetroot pickles and chutney look a bit grey on the top and tastes a bit funny as well
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 19:21:20 »
Is there such a thing as plastic lid that can be used on Kilner jars once the jar has been opened and is stored in the fridge. Does that makes sense? Errm well I mean a plastic lid for the jars so that you can take the screw bit off the jar and use for other preserves I know the disc bit cannot be used again..it's been a long day

Duke

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 23:00:12 »
Is there such a thing as plastic lid that can be used on Kilner jars once the jar has been opened and is stored in the fridge.

Duke
The Red (sometimes Orange, Brown or White) topped jars manufactured by The Ravenhead Company and sold under the Kilner brand is identified by the glass lid fitting inside the neck of the jar and the traditional metal screw ring being replaced with a red, orange or brown plastic unit.These jars were made between 1978 and the late 1990's
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 10:27:15 »

XX Jeannine

That must be under USA conditions  ;D.  In Europe where rubber rings are used and fully tested in many countries, they work very well and are definitely not notoriously failing in storage.  I use both systems and would have long stopped using rubber rings if there was a problem!

I take what the USDA says on suitable jars with a pinch of salt.  I asked this question on the largest 'canning' group and the gurus there eventually (after much talking down and rubbishing rubber seals) admitted that they haven't tested rubber ring systems.  There is a lot of negative progaganda, completely missing the fact that USA lids have a tendency to rust with chutneys and pickles.  Yet they are 'talking down' European systems with glee.  Altogether too many commercial lobby groups at work methinks.

PS: joining you in pleasantly warm water ...........let's have a nice swim   ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 21:50:11 »
Hi Galina, well I can't agree but we shall agree to differ as friends do.

For pickles I only use the coated inner lids by the way and they definately don't rust in storage. I have used rubber rings and have had them fail in storage  so can say that from personal experience,and I have seen pickles rust the uncoated caps. If folks use the wrong ones for their pickles over here they will have a problem. I should add there are folks over here who do ignore the regulations , quickest is best, make do is thrifty,re use is popular, I have always done it this way with no problems, I have heard them all, but I know they are cloistered opinions from folks who have not bothered to keep abreast

When I first moved over here I laughed till I hurt at the methods used and really thought they were a bunch of idiots, but as time went by and  catering  training I took  got me further in to it  I learned better. The day I wanted to learn how to can fish opened up a whole new window for me. I know now that many folks are playing Russian roulette and that is their choice.

Part of my training in preserving  in order to teach it  went very much into food safety  and I have kept a breast of methods .  I would not be allowed to teach it otherwise.

I think one has to bear in mind that the percentage of folks who preserve food in the UK and Europe is small compared to folks who do so in the US, you only have to see the available  here ,we buy our jars and replacement bits by the case, not single jars, and the cost is much less. $8 for a dozen jars with lids and caps, even less if on sale, that is less than 3 bread loaves.The reason  is because a very large percentage of us, in  fact almost everyone I know does this.

All municipalities(councils) offer courses on all types of things from computers to cake baking and everything in between, home  food preservation is a very popular course. I taught it till I left Canada.

With the above  thoughts in mind it would seem logical that the UK and Europe are behind  the US and Canada in this field . It is an old art being resurrected over there and that is wonderful but it brings problems.

I think the sad part is that the equipment is not there for you folks and many are having to use older stuff, whereas I can go to Safeway at the corner and pick up anything I need .Fingers crossed stuff will cross the pond eventually as most things  and that will make it easier.

Years ago I would have agreed with you as I said before  but not any more.

Hows the weather over there!!

XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 21:51:54 by Jeannine »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal