Author Topic: When is a snowberry not a snowberry?  (Read 1786 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
When is a snowberry not a snowberry?
« on: May 13, 2005, 23:34:54 »
... When its a flowering quince thats when!!

Perhaps i should explain....

I have a shrub in my garden that ai bought some time ago as part of a collection of shrubs. The one in questionwas described as a symphoricarpos or snow berry. A shade tollerant deciduous shrub with a suckering habit, insignificant white flowers but unusual white berries (hence the common name!).

I decided to plant it in a shady border, basicaly to fill a gap and hopefully brighten the corner up with the berries.

A couple of years pased and nothing much happened, it seemed to be sulking as it wasnt growing much. Then just a couple of weeks ago i was in that part of the garden and spotted a small patch of red on or near the plant. on closer inspection it was a flower on the shrub. I thought 'thats nice' and thought nothing more of it of it, until i saw similar flowers on a shrub with similar leaves whilst out and about. I thougt 'that looks like chaenomeles (sp?) or flowering quince'.. Then it dawned on me that this could be the same as i had at home.

After some looking up of books and studying the plant in the garden i am convinced tha the plant sold as a snowberry is in fact a chaenomeles, and that I potentialy have a gem lurking waay in a dark corner of the garden.

The irony is that the nextdoor neighbours have a snowberry which has suckered under the fence right next to the mystery plant!

I am now wondering if it is worth moving to a more prominent position, since chaenomeles perform much better in a sunnier spot i beleive.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded.I suppose i am not really asking for advice on this (though I wont say no!), I really just wanted to tell you about it.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: When is a snowberry not a snowberry?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 09:16:24 »
Cor, I would much rather have the quince than the darn snowberry.  It lurks all around our garden and I hate it!  I would, at the right time, move the quince to centre stage as I think the flowers and foliage are grand!  Lucky you Richard!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: When is a snowberry not a snowberry?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 17:08:51 »
Thanks EJ

As i said, it was lurking in a shady spot. The shade though was caused by  a thicket of privet (remains of a hedge i cant dig up) and real snowberry from next door. I decided (and have now done) to cut down all the privet and snowberry to try to give the chaenomeles a bit more light and space.

This has resulted in the desired effect and more light and air to the area in general. Unfortunalely it now makes a compost bin visible from a seating area (which the privet was screening). Sigh! Oh well you cant have it all ways can you?

I am going to try to remove some of the 'thicket', even if i have to get a stump killer o it and leave the roots in situ. Maybe then I can plant something better to screen the compost bin!

Failing that I'll look into finding the chaenomeles a new home in time to move it in the autumn.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 17:10:46 by Garden Cadet »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal