Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Seed trays

<< < (3/5) > >>

IanDH:
As with others have used quite a variety over time. 

Over the last couple of years have acquired a number of these - https://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/30466-whitefurze-windowsill-propagator-set.aspx They are described as windowsill propagators but they are much more sturdy than any others I have seen.  The individual trays are about 1/2  the size of typical trays.

They were still in stock at the local store a couple of weeks ago, good value for a fiver.

Vetivert:
I like the CD60 trays as they only require one hand to carry and one hand to push out plugs! The flimsy trays require both, which gets old very fast at peak sowing season. We have some strong green flat trays that have lasted the better part of 20 years, still look new, but have no brand mark :( I wish I knew what to look for as I'd love to get more of them.

Deb P:
I’m surprised you think rootrainers are not very hardy, I’ve had some for over 15 years and still going strong. I purchased some extra module bits years ago from eBay but still haven’t had to use them! I do store them under cover in my shed as soon as the plants are planted out, so they probably only have a months actual use per year as I use them for sweetcorn, beans , sunflowers and sweet peas.

ACE:
Plants and trays last a lot longer if you stop using forks, fingers, spoon etc and use the proper equipment.  Use a plug popper board. Even make your own from a few old flat head nails or screws if you are a bit of a tightwad.

BarriedaleNick:
Here the Charles Dowding type trays are pretty standard and apparently have been for years - I think he just looked at what other countries are using to be honest.  They are really tough, nice wide holes in the bottom and they come in a wide variety of sizes.
I have some of these - the 40 hole ones.

Years ago some offices at work were chucking out a load of trays - sort of modular storage things that stack.  They fit 20 of my little plastic square pots perfectly so I tend to use for the most part.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version