Allotment Stuff > Allotment Movement

Distance to your allotment

<< < (4/4)

Tee Gee:

--- Quote ---The lucky ones who live close to their plots have negligible travel costs but I have calculated that travelling just a mile to a plot everyday will cost about £100 per year in petrol.  So that makes a plot 10 miles away cost about £1000 year - that's a lot of veg! So for ed dibbles and to a slightly lesser extent brownthumb2 and myself, allotment costs are quite significant. I wonder if anyone would go over the £1000 a year travel cost to keep an allotment?
--- End quote ---

Possibly I could come in to that bracket in so far as my allotment was around 3½ miles (7 miles round trip)

To get there I would have to get two buses and there would still be a walk of ¼mile walk to get the bus and when I got off.

I calculated at best it would take me at least one hour to get there and that is if I made good connections between buses.

Its any ones guess if I didn't get a good connection.

So I had a car primarily to get to and from my allotment which I could do in 10 minutes.

As a result of this I was doing under 1000 miles per year so if you added up the cost of Tax,Insurance,AA Depreciation, MOT  and Petrol and of course repairs if needed it worked out it was costing me me around £1.66 per mile or around £12 per trip.

This wasn't the reason I gave up my allotment but it was a factor in the back of my mind!

Petrol alone was around 90 pence per trip and to think I have a free bus pass it makes you wonder what is an acceptable price for convenience!

Having said all that!  it was an interesting exercise Nodig!and it certainly makes you wonder what is the true price of producing our veg!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version