Allotment Stuff > Locations and Sites

OH's first day on a new plot

(1/2) > >>

BarriedaleNick:
So my Oh took on a plot at a lovely site in South London.  The most amazing thing is that she was only on a list for 6-7 months and we only applied with a vague hope of getting on.  Most plots have ten year lists.
Well the site is lovely.  It has toilets which are clean, a communal skip, a site hut/shop, car access to the plot, strimmers and mowers to rent cheaply, a good hard working committee, friendly locals, communal bonfire, BBQ/Hard standing area and lots of other little bits and bobs.  The best thing is that it has soil, real proper soil that is a delight to dig and weed.  I have been on clay for ten years and when I say clay I mean clay - not a clay soil - just solid clay as we are on a railway cutting. While i love my plot it is d**n hard work and every bag of manure etc has to be barrowed in, down the steps and along to my plot - on this one we can just drive up and throw it out the boot.
Lots of hard work ahead for OH but we already cleared a bed and I reckon we'll be totally cleared for the season ahead.

picman:
Good to see your enthusiasm, I would respectfully suggest a couple of things  , don't go mad , do a bit , leave a bit is my motto, what you cannot dig now cover with something dark ( not carpet ) , Keep a planting / weather / where on plot  diary. ask other plotters what does well, varieties etc .. happy plotting.   

BarriedaleNick:
Cheers picman.  Easy to overdo it esp at this time of year when we have been laid up over winter.  Feel surprisingly ok after a good session yesterday and the soil is so nice that the grass and weeds pull out really easily.  There is a nasty section down one end which will require more work so that may get covered in cardboard for a month or so..

pumkinlover:
Will you keep your plot then Nick?

BarriedaleNick:
Yes for the time being at least.  I have real trouble with growing some stuff on mine - carrots, onions, sweede, celariac so We will switch that over to the new plot and keep on with the stuff that grows well on mine. I was amazed to see on the new plot yesterday sweedes as big as my head.  I have never seen them so big!
Plus it gives us the chance to have a go at more fruit!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version