Allotment Stuff > Locations and Sites

What sort of soil have you got ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

clare:
Mine's the same as EmmaJane's as it's not that far away... lots and lots and lots and lots of stones!  I've started edging all the beds with stones.... looks very attractive!   :)

we have lots of worms, it's easy to dig and drains well.   I think it is slightly alkaline - we bought one of those ph test thingies.

Mrs Ava:
Well Les, I guess firstly you test to see the Ph (I must do this!).  Then, is it sticky when wet - in otherwords, take some in your hand and squeeze.  Does it all stick together in a kinda shiney lump, especially of you rub it with your finger, or does it crumble up again?  If it is sticky and kinda shiney, then you have clay, like I have in my garden - waterlogged all winter, hard as concrete all summer, but everything seems to thrive.  If it is crumbly, then I guess it is free draining, maybe sandy or stoney.  I am no expert and I seem to recall a discussion about this some time ago - humus content and so on.  Other than that....is it brown, if so, they you are looking at the right stuff!   ;D

ruud:
Hi everybody i have got zavel as soil.I see everybody who reads this thinking what the h.... is zavel.My allotment is straight behind the dunes,so near the coastline.All around my allotment are prof. flowerflorists,so now the whole side is covered in colours:tulips,daffodils and later in the saisonlilies.Back to the soil zavel when i look it up in a dictionary it says sandy clay.It is very fertil and it holds water better than sand,but its not so muddy.

Mimi:
Sounds lovely Ruud, nice soil for beetroots and carrots.  Me, well mine is just stones, stones, gravel, asphelt, stones and oh yes some more stones. :(

Ceri:
Once I hacked down the weeds from my abandoned plot, I found fabulous soil, easy to dig, not waterlogged but not too free-draining.  Just to see what I was working with I dug down to the sub-soil - after 4 feet I got bored - still didn't find any sub-soil.  I must have inherited the deepest topsoil around - apparently all the lotties in our plot are like this - I suppose years of digging in compost as done it.  It is however, thistle ridden - they must have seeded just before I hacked the weeds down last year.  One patch has covered with heavy duty liner since September - took it off, lovely bare soil - except for hundreds of blanched thistles.  Digging them out one by one took ages, but very satisfying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version