Produce > Chillies Ahoy

non-ripening tomatoes

<< < (2/5) > >>

GREGME:
Hi they look  great I wouldnt panick but personally make sure they growing tip is stopped now and stop watering if you havent already.
Banana in a shoe box works well as others have said but i wouldnt do that for at least another 2 weeks, unless you are getting hungry 

Digeroo:
Maybe they are a green tomato and will never colour.

peanuts:
I stopped the top about  three weeks ago!  The others from the same original tomato ripen, although not to a soft tomato stage, but they are excellent for soup.  I'll wait a couple of weeks as we have more days of 30º (sorry!) and then try with a banana.  Might have to buy one though, and usually we don't as we live off our own produced fruit!

squeezyjohn:
Just picked up 10 over-ripe bananas for 10p from Tesco's reduced section!  The bananas are destined for cake and milkshakes while the skins will be put to work hanging around my tomato plants outside!

ACE:
I was reading about the transportation of tomatoes on the vine. Evidently there are 3 stages of ripening. They pick the vine ones green, but if picked too early they will not ripen, even with the gas they use. They have to be in the second stage before colour starts showing.

We used to strip all the green ones from the plant at the end of the season when I was a nipper, they went in on the window sill and some ripened some didn't. The green ones went to chutney and the reds got eaten. I suppose some were still in stage one.

I was waiting for some ripe fruit the other week, so I bunged an over ripe banana in the greenhouse. An almost instant crop appeared, but still a load of darker green tomatoes waiting in the wings. Another banana is due now for the late starters. I did notice that my outdoor toms that have ripened naturally have more taste than the forced ones. By the way the experts reckon the vine tomatoes are no different, they just look better. A bit like a brown egg really.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version