Author Topic: What newspapers do you read  (Read 9912 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
What newspapers do you read
« on: January 10, 2013, 19:53:37 »
I had the misfortune to meet someone a few days ago who knew everything about everything,,??

One of the interesting things he puffed about was.."you can always tell the intelligence and character of an Englishman by the newspaper and magazines  he reads"

So what do you read, and better still what do you think.

Ace be nice now.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: What newspapers do you read
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 21:20:54 »
The Times.  Its political bias just about matches my own because I don't really notice it has one.  I find the Torygraph too reactionary, the Grauniad too lily-livered, the Hate Mail too hatefully middle-class, and the Pun and the rest of the red-tops too purile.  I'll read the Independent, but it's a bit dull.

What I think?  I probably think about stuff too much for my own good to be honest.  I'm a vegetarian, tradeunionist, humanist, free-market liberal, physics graduate, and I love my airedales.

I'm not sure the newspaper someone reads tells you so very much about them, but then we do think rather a lot about ourselves so on the other hand I'm not sure there's so very much to tell.

Thanks for asking Jeannine.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:24:09 »
I admit to reading the Guardian but I do find them in a bit of an ivory tower sometimes, and really a bit out of touch with reality. Still, their hearts are maybe in the right place!  And I also glance at the Daily Mail site just to see the type of opinion I DON'T WANT to have! But it has gotten much worse over the last 3 years, it used to just be a bit trashy but still some local news, now it is just a bashing board for "chavs", immigrants, and it's just full of ridiculous obsessions, like how fat or thin people are. they also have loads of artciles written by "pseudo" journalists (e.g. Samantha Brick) or articles about supposedly common people who are actually their staff members! Who cares about that???? And the person who proof reads for them should be sacked, the spelling and grammar is absolutely appalling.

If I was in Britain I would probably have more choice!  I do also get news from the BBC site.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:42:28 »
I think of myself as a right wing libertarian. I subscribe to the Telegraph and the Spectator, and buy the Grauniad and Observer at the weekend.

I won't touch the Times because of its disgusting appetite for scandal, nor the Independent because of its shameful support for terrorism.

I don't buy the redtops, but I'll cheerfully follow links to their websites.  In amongst all the celebrity nonsense they often break some good stories.  But Twitter is my online news feed of choice, with CNN and the BBC in second place.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 10:24:14 »

None at all.

I wake up to the Today programme on Radio 4, and then BBC News 24 and channel 4 News.  Haven't ever felt the need for a paper (apart from the free local advertiser which is crucial for folding my paper pots   :toothy10:). 

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 11:33:37 »
NONE! I read the internet news pages   :coffee2: :wave:

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 11:35:08 »
Daily local paper only, none of the national papers there just full of tosh :tongue3:

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 13:12:22 »
I don't buy newspapers either. I keep up to date with BBC 24/7, Sky News 24/7 and Channel 4 and local news on BBC south west and ITV south west. I can't be doing with all the trash the newspapers blare at their readers - waste of money  IMHO. If there is anything I want to know about more in depth I go to the BBC or Channel 4 online.

Tricia

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 13:47:11 »
The Sun, but only for 10 days as am booking a cheap holiday.  The rest of the year nothing, sometimes the free Metro if travelling on tube.

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 13:59:35 »
I used to read the Telegraph because it was good for sports coverage.Now I tend to listen to Radio 4 which gives me the information I require.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 15:19:05 »
Computer weekly I get for free and I subscribe to New Scientist and read various tech stuff. Private Eye every now and then..

Traditional newspapers are pretty much dead for me.  Radio 4, Reddit.com, BBC.co.uk/c4.com and various tech based outlets serve my news needs.
Newspapers do make great firelighters though so I do buy the Times on a Sunday every now and then.
I think your "friend" is a bit behind the times - the days when "you can always tell the intelligence and character of an Englishman by the newspaper and magazines  he reads" have gone.  I know gay lefties who read the Mail and right wing Christians who buy the Gruaniad - often it's sports coverage or some other aspects aside from the editorial stance.  A lot of people buy the Telegraph just for the footie.

I have become completely agnostic on political parties and labels and find myself annoyed by all the guff they fill up newspapers with so these days I pick and choose from where-ever I fancy..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 16:43:01 »
I  just use the Google news, you get all the papers then. Sometimes I read the Metro on the bus, but it ain't a very good paper.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 18:04:41 »
The Guardian on a Saturday (and sometimes online during the week) or the Observer on a Sunday.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 22:46:49 »
I am currently reading viz.I buy my husband one each Christmas :toothy10:

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 05:02:43 »
Mostly - and very regularly - online. The Scotsman, The Herald, the grauniad, occasionally Telegraph or Independent as well as BBC news. The Washington Post. I buy Scotland on Sunday and the Observer intermittently and, like Nick, save them up for firelighting. Also a very local, monthly publication called the C &B   News.

I also read  a selection of French, German, Spanish, Italian and Norwegian papers online. I find it quite salutary to find out what the rest of the world's viewpoints are on the various world events and the antics of our coalition.

I don't watch TV so read more and listen to the radio more.

I agree with Nick - the internet means that people read much more eclectically than in the past. Actually I often find articles by the same journalists in very different publications.

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 01:06:22 »
 I've not bought a newspaper for ten years. It's common knowledge now that British journalists are lying, cheating scum, second only to members of parliament.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 02:11:37 »
I don't normally buy a paper these days except if I am on holiday, when I buy the Times or Telegraph mainly for the crosswords, other puzzles and the football.  I often find that the Times has a lot of interesting scientific data in it, so will usually buy it in preference to the Telegraph.

I hate the Mail and the Express and believe they both cause a lot of hatred in this country, turn class against class and give a distorted view of the facts.

I get my news daily from television's BBC24 hour or Sky news programmes as well as the BBC web site.

I don't find the Times or the Telegraph right wing but then I don't tend to read the editorials.  I am a Labour supporter, as was my father who also read the Telegraph for most of his life time. 

I don't think you can necessarily tell a persons class or political persuasion from the papers they read but maybe they indicate a persons educational attainments?   :dontknow: 

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 08:31:02 »
I buy the Grauniad on Saturday. OH gets the Independent plus the FT on Saturday and so I read bits and pieces of them.

On the web ... mainly the Grauniad and BBC News although I do a fair bit of ferreting around as I have a website on the Edinburgh Festival where I include links to relevant news stories. For the same reason I look at Twitter once a day although I am not a fan ... some useful info interspersed with lots of me me me and periodic firestorms.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:37:32 by BAK »

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 09:06:46 »

None at all.

I wake up to the Today programme on Radio 4, and then BBC News 24 and channel 4 News.  Haven't ever felt the need for a paper (apart from the free local advertiser which is crucial for folding my paper pots   :toothy10:).

Ditto but we do pick up free copies of the Metro when we walk past the station for use in the woodburning stove and for veggie peeling to add to the compost bin. If I still bought a paper would probably be the Indy or Guardian
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 09:11:45 »
Ditto again, I do pick up a metro and evening standard if I am in London, but find little worth reading, but they do keep my kitchen caddy lined.
The bbc website is where I go to see what is happening in the world.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal