Produce > Under Glass

PolyCarbonate Sheeting

(1/5) > >>

skypilot:
Has anyone used polycarbonate sheeting for glazing a green house?

I have a 17ft x 6ft  x 7ft greenhouse on my allotment which is in need of a lot of TLC.

Would it be cheaper to replace the damaged glass and other various materials used to protect the greenhouse with polycarbonate ?

Is it more expensive than glass ?

Will it protect the greenhouse from stone damage?

I understand that there is Twin Wall, Triple Wall and i have even seen Five wall polycarbonate, what is the difference between these?

What other glazing material could I use as a cheaper alternative to glass which would provide some protection from stone damage.?

I notice on some local churches they have a sort of perspex material to protect Stained Glass windows, is this a form of polycarbonate?

Where can one obtain this material ?

Sorry about all the questions,  :)

growmore:
Hi Skypilot,
                  Polycarbonate is real good material for greenhouses and is a lot tougher .I have replaced a lot of glass with some twin walled polycarbonate.But I got this given off someone who was replacing it on a conservatory roof ..
I found that this can be clipped in using normal glass clips...
Think you will find any poly carbonate alternative to glass maybe a  lot    more expensive....cheers Jim..

tim:
We use single & twin - both V expensive. Our cloches are made up of 4 pieces of single - 2'x1' - @ £2.50 a piece. Google DIY Plastics.

ken (69):
Hi Sky...my greenhouse 12'x10' is made from this material, bought secondhand and definately does not give as much light as (even) horticultural glass, but toms still growable.Not good in the wind either unless well fastened.Had a problem last year with germinating seedlings thru the propogator, then thru the polycarbonate as well, lack of sufficient light.

Svea:
can you go down to your local tip and see what you can scavenge?

better to reuse than have stuff added to the landfill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version