Author Topic: Benefits of an association/club  (Read 4938 times)

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
Benefits of an association/club
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:47:46 »
What are the benefits of allotment associations?

Okay bulk buying of certain consumables can help save plot holders some money, are there any other benefits one could offer members that could not be gained by being friendly to your plot neighbours?

Steve...:)
"The Nook"

Photo's copyright İSteve Randles, however if you want one, please ask.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Benefits of an association/club
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:08:26 »
Our association fee is currently £4 per year and for that our plot holders are covered by insurance at £2.38p  each, and are members of NSALG at £2 each.

They can use the cheap Kings seed scheme run by NSALG and are able to use our Stores and buy things cheaply.

We are going to increase the fee to £4.50 this year.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 22:54:37 »
Our allotment society has died twice now and people keep talking about resuscitating it, but to be honest I don't see any point. There is a trading hut which opens for about 20 minutes most weeks, but its all old stock and you can get it cheaper elsewhere. Some people are convinced that because it was an active association 20 years ago, it could be again, but I'm not so sure. I think it is different on a self managed site. I do have a friend on a self managed site. They have an active association and I sometimes get seeds on their seed order. If your society is not vibrant, I think the kindest thing to do is to let it go peacefully. If you are thinking of starting a new association you need to give serious thought to what its role will be. Our allotment society has struggled for years, basically because it has no reason to exist.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 07:32:21 »
Our association may not be prime example what it could be in its best, but centainly it is live and kicking..more of the kicking maybe.. ::)
Like in many other situations..it takes few willing people to do extra efford for little return to make it better for all.
Our shop was boring too..until few years ago we got new secretary who actually like to make the efford and was able to draw people in. Now we ask and listen what people want/need into shop and do our 'research' for what might be a 'seller'...we encourage people to come and ask products before they go somewhere else with their money. It might be only a pennies in profits..but hey..its profits and every penny counts.. ;)
As for other benefits..there is more 'security' in association for individual person..in my experience, you have much more chance to get heard or even get some action going if association is generally in working order.
But as being a association/club..as it is for sake of name..if it not 'active' and structure in 'working order..it doesn't really mean a thing. It is easier to arrange (for) structured croup of people than load of individuals that may/may not know or talk to each other to achieve something in larger scale.
Any benefits it may offer always comes down to those who run it and how much positive action they can draw from its members..more they organize opportunities for various things..shopping, help, working parties..what ever it is..the heathier the club.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:47:46 by goodlife »

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:24:34 »
Our association is brilliant - good shop with stuff a lot cheaper than elsewhere, discounts negotiated with local stores and tradesmen, relationship/influence with council which single allotment holders wouldn't be able to achieve, not restricted to allotment holders - wouldn't be without it, but does depend on good people willing to give up their time running and organising everything (sadly I'm not one of those).

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:57:49 »
but does depend on good people willing to give up their time running and organising everything (sadly I'm not one of those).
Perharps you are not able to do  things..BUT..by only recognizing and appreciating those who are doing the 'running' business you are contributing so much for the well being of your association.. ;) ;D It is those who always moan, complain and demand the extra effort from others that are causing the extra work and bad atmosphere.

I'm just gearing up for our AGM that is this morning.. ::) My thoughts have been going around circles on this theme for couple of hours now...and I'm ready for my 'speech' if needs to be.. ;D ;D

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:02:44 »
Having an association,bank account and constitution makes you eligible for applying for grants/funding. You wouldnt stand a chance without
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 12:09:25 »
Depends what you mean by "association", Steve. If you mean a trading hut, then it can be a cheap place to buy stuff and it can be a nice little earner, but it does need a lot of what I call - with absolutely no disrespect - "Idiot Volunteers" to keep it running.

But if you mean something more formal - a Society, if you like - to get things done, that's a different matter. It still needs a good smattering of IVs, of course!

We don't have any choice - we're an independent site, so if the Society folds, so does the site. Nothing would get done if we didn't get our fingers out. But, as Elvis said, a bank account and constitution, plus a bit of headed notepaper, get you taken seriously by others. We got Big Lottery funding two years ago for a composting toilet, and this year we'll be putting in another bid. (To be decided by the Committee tomorrow - we've got several ideas.) We're also in there with the local Councillors, Residents' Association and Chamber of Commerce to help press for funding and improvements in the area generally. You can also establish more formal links with the Community Police.

And for Council sites, a formal association gives you a bit more clout when dealing with the Civic Centre. If they can see that you're organised, they are more likely to do things for you. Several of our well-run local sites  have had loos and secure fencing installed; the ones that appear disorganised and uninterested are less likely to receive this sort of help, or at least they'll be lower down the queue.

Bubbles26

• Quarter Acre
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 15:37:23 »
I am so proud of our allotment association for many reasons.

When we were looking in to getting our plot the association chairman showed us round, explained which plots were up for grabs, told us about our soil type and explained all the bits and bobs associated with the association.

The only reason we even got a plot was because 12 months ago the association secured a £20,000 grant to improve the fencing, and create 20 new plots. Only to then have the council sending out press releases claiming the credit for the expansion, when in actual fact they were nothing but a pain in the arse for four months because the £5,000 fence was apparently half a foot too far over and they wanted the association to move it in before any of the plots could be rented ... grrrr. The association fought them and won - so the fence was never moved  ;D

The prices (set by the council) per plot have apparently been creeping up and up over the past 5 years anyway but they really took the mick this financial year. Our standard plot size has always been 10 poles which last year cost £56, now the council have decided that a standard plot size is 5 poles and have made this also £56 - so anyone with an existing 10 pole plot got a lovely letter from our dear council explaining that there would be a 100% price increase to £112 per year because they had two standard plots. Most were encouraged to give up one half of their plot to ease the waiting list - which would be understandable if we actually had a waiting list. Since the new plots were developed they hasn't been more than a months wait - we have 5 plots sitting waiting for new tenants at present - 2 of which were given up by a couple of old boys who couldn't afford the new price increase.

So, as our council seem to see allotments as a way to make money out of us, our association is in the process of taking over complete control of the plot. Standard plot sizes will return to 10 poles and anyone with a 5 pole plot will be described as having half a plot again. The prices should reduce with the takeover.

Without our very active association to fight our corner the council would walk all over us.

Sorry it was a bit long  ::)
2015 - New plot. Let's go!!

shayshay

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 18:11:58 »
Possibly looking at the ideaof self management or association for a site and it has been mentioned about grants/funding that we can apply for that the council can't. Is that for things such as the lottery etc?

Not sure where else to go for grants/funding however sick of the council doing sweet FA yet happily charge us for a sub standard allotment.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 18:22:43 »
Possibly looking at the ideaof self management or association for a site and it has been mentioned about grants/funding that we can apply for that the council can't. Is that for things such as the lottery etc?

Not sure where else to go for grants/funding however sick of the council doing sweet FA yet happily charge us for a sub standard allotment.
Hi, shayshay, welcome to a4a  ;D
Have a look on the ARI site, they have lots of ideas about funding
http://www.farmgarden.org.uk/ari/

mahonia

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 10:19:07 »
Please have a look at the topic "Unlawful Eviction from my plot" which does show what can go wrong if the allotments are self managed.

My feeling is it would be ok if the association was "social only" and perhaps have a trading hut, but beware of the serious implications of becoming self managed.

Plot holders would be better off being managed by their Council and enjoying a social association.

Best of both worlds.

Associations are usually Unincorporated and as Unwashed has pointed out that committee members and trustees would have legal obligations and they would be personally liable.

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 06:45:48 »
Thanks manicscouser for that informative link. This could be of great use to our site once we have held our EGM to vote on our committee for the forthcoming year at the end of the month. Fundrasing ideas that have been successful are good to know.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal