Author Topic: Rant warning.....Pomona fruits cataloque  (Read 10832 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Rant warning.....Pomona fruits cataloque
« on: December 06, 2011, 16:34:57 »
GRUMPY WOMAN WARNING!  >:(
Over the years I've bought dozens of fruit trees..AND this is now second time that I've received something totally ridicilous through post..last winter is was from T&M and now Pomona fruits.
I've never ordered from them before..so I followed their ordering pages in internet and place the order. There wasn't any options for tree sizes..just 'click to add into basket' and that's it.
I've always received 3-4ft tall trees when buying new trees...this time I received tree with 6 ft main stem, 2" thick and all the branches on top...like standard....parcel was huge.. :o
One cannot do anything with the tree other than plonk it into ground and let it get on with it.
Basically they've sold me few years old standard-shaped tree. No where they stated that it would be so.
I've called the company..and before telling them that I already ordered ..I asked what size trees they supply as there is no info about in cataloque..answer was "around 4 ft"....and then I let it 'rip' what I was thinking about the order I received. Anyhow..that stage they passed me on to somebody else..and they came up with alsorts of excuses..".Nursery that supply them only supply more mature 2yrs old specimens to stop people propagating the trees.. :o ::)...like if it would stop it.. ::)..and that tree was more than 2 yrs old!
After while it turned that it was my fault that I didn't tell them that I wanted small tree for 'training purposes' although they don't supply these particular nectarines any smaller.. ::) Nowhere in their website it says that I should call them or supply some info what size I request into order page!!!!
So...after telling what I think of them and that I shall tell about my order to world wide gardening forum, I put phone down......I'M STEAMING!
So now I'm going to pot my tree up..grow for a year..next winter order some rootstocks and craft some new growth and start again...Hmf..."stopping people from propagating them.. ::)" ..and before anybody says anyting..there is no plant breeders rights mentioned with any of the paperwork!!! ;) ;D
In their terms of business they don't say nothing about informing them for the wanted tree size! ..or that they have any options to start with. This tree is far too big already to plant into GH or under any sort of cover to prevent leaf curl..unless you have really huge grow house..domestic GH won't do.. >:(
 I won't be ordering from them anymore....

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Rant warning.....Pomona fruits cataloque
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 19:04:05 »
There There!! :P
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

keejaay

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 19:29:32 »
I use D T Brown for all my seed and plants -- never let me down good webpage and their customer services are very good

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 20:07:11 »
I think the root of the problem (no pun intended) is that almost all suppliers outsource certain items in their catalogue which in some cases they don't handle at all - it goes straight to the customer.

So they're relying on someone else's quality control and on someone else's specifications.

It would be so much more honest and transparent if they told us which.  That way, naming no names, the soft fruit supplier that I was so delighted with for strawberries and raspberries wouldn't have been my first choice for gooseberries the next year, which turned out to be poor quality bushes.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 20:29:18 »
 :-\..I've learned my lesson now..I never ever order from these 'cataloque' companies..I just keep to proper nurseries who grow their own stock..
When they 'twist' their 'stories' when trying to defend and explain themselves..that is what makes me fuming..the tree itself looks in good condition..but not what you've expect other wise.. ::)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 21:41:39 »
I am quite lucky in that I always pick our plants from the nurseries. We have left it to the growers to deliver unseen, but we were never satified with the quality. The quality of the plants  we have to use for garden shows have to be gold medal standard or the potential for us to nurture  up to RHS acceptability. Even with the gardens we do for clients, if I cannot grow them myself, I go to the nurseries and pick them out. It can sometimes mean driving hundreds of miles just for a few plants. But our clients are prepared to pay for the best so it the best they get.

Search your area, it is easy now with the internet, you will be suprised at the ammount of good little nurseries in your area. (Wigan might be an exception) ;D don't be put off by being (trade only) an allotment society should be able to open an account with the wholesale nurseries and get the plants you want at the price you want to pay.

Just for example a tray of 120 herb plugs at   between £10 and £12, shrubs in 2 litre pots £3 to £4 the type that you would see in a garden centre at £15 and don't forget you see the plant and you do not pay carriage. I got some espalier trained fruit trees yesterday at £8 each 3 years old well looked after. £35 each if I had to pay retail prices. Just as you do when you get your groceries. Shop local, these guys need your business.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 21:50:11 »
We do have some good nurseries and growers around..but unfortunately they don't always stock just that particular thing that I'm after at the time.
Usually I buy  my fruit trees from Deacon or Rv Roger..never been dissapointed with them..but neither did have doughnut nectarines in their stock that I ordered from Pomona.
I do grow majority of my plants for the clients myself..sometimes starting from seeds but more often from plugs.
I rarely venture into garden centres ..they are too expensive when you need plants by the bulk.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 17:46:53 »
I received telephone call from Pomona yesterday.. :o I have to admit that chap who rang is very brave one for daring to be in contact after receiving very sudden end for the conversation... :-X ;D
He was very apologetic about the tree and that I wasn't happy with it...he offered to help me by offering similar type of nectarine (but not same) and smaller for 'training purposes' for discounted price.. ::) Like I want to spend anymore money for them after that.. ::) I did hold on to my cool and made very civilized conversation with him. I told him that I've already planted the bloody tree and next year I'm going to buy some rootstock and graft some new growth to get some smaller trees. He did ask if I need, he could get me some rootstocks ....NO.. ::) ..also he suggested that I could do grafting already this winter from the growth that is on the tree now.."NO!..there is none to take off..there hardly is any branches..just couple of little 'stubs' on top of trunk"
When he couldn't 'soften' me up with anything he suggested, he finally asked is there anything he could do.."he doesn't like to 'see' his customers being disappointed."
"well...actually YES..could you make sure you have more information about your trees/plants for you customers"
 ;D..there..I got it off from my chest now..suppose it was 'nice' that he did call back..if I'm not going to order from them anymore..hopefully if there is some improvement with info, somebody else will benefit with my rant.. ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal