Author Topic: Please Miss  (Read 7774 times)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Please Miss
« on: May 02, 2011, 15:05:35 »
Could we have some rain? It`s beyond a joke here-nothing is thriving after the longest spring drought I can remember.

And it`s windy-no point in putting my plants out for sale as the wind rips into them ruining perfect plants in minutes.

I`m not a happy bunny :'(

Andy H

• Hectare
Re: Please Miss
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 15:10:01 »
Its certainly dry, just 1.5mm on the 6th and thats it for the whole month of April, ground cracking already.

It did rain hard in next town the other day and here too but missed our garden and missed the allotments too! >:(

staris

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 15:25:07 »
i live up north (durham) and we have only had one bit of rain in the whole of april and that was very brief ,our soil is normally very dry but it's like a desert now  >:(

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 16:20:54 »
Do you think if we all did a rain dance it would help ;D ;D ;D.

Very dry in Cheshire too.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 16:41:15 »
I've noticed that unusually dry springs are invariably followed by a summer of constant rain, so be careful what you wish for. I give it a couple of weeks before the British monsoon season starts, when I plan to seed my new lawn!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 16:56:56 »
Dustbowl here too- when I passed Askham Bryan college yesterday evening they had the big water sprayers on. Rain forecast for Thurs but i'll believe it when I see it- think the last rain was April 2nd.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 17:10:59 »
Nope it was the 5th down at Gatwick.
2006 34.6mm
2007 4.6mm
2008 68.3mm
2009 45.7mm
2010 19.8mm
2011 1.5mm

Ave 29.1mm for April! ;D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 21:20:27 »
Same here, no rain for at least a month. In places on the site there are cracks so wide and deep you can put your hand into them. We don't normally get that bad until much later.

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 21:25:13 »
I do a rain dance every night before bed, but it doesn't appear to be helping!! Can't remember the last time we had anything wet  :-\

Can't believe Askham are wasting water on their scratty lawns like that. Friend works for Yorkshire water & they're starting emergency planning apparently. Just in case.

Lots of my stuff still in pots from our recent move & I'm going to start losing plants if we don't get some rain soon. Reluctant to put many veg seeds in, I just can't keep them going. Water butts are running seriously low. Any sign of rain & I'm out there with as many buckets & pans as I can find! Husband is getting tired of me shouting at him for throwing any small amount of water down the drain! Saved the water from the broccoli yesterday.  ::)

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 21:38:02 »
try the tap! ;D

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 21:47:11 »
Ha! Very cleverly decided that it would be much better to go on a water meter. We were on one in our old house & the rates for the new house were about four times the amount per month. Stuck some water butts out & thought we'd be fine if we were sensible. No one warned me it was never going to rain ever again  ::)   ;D

Stupid weather  ::)

Can't even nick the neighbours cos they're on one too! I've still got one water butt with some in, but if we get to the end of that I'll have to just swallow the bill & use the tap. No alternative really. Poor plants.   :(

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 21:56:14 »
never want a meter really. think on an island surrounded by water we should never be short with out annual rainfall, too many leaks are to blame and households use a lot let than agriculture and industry.

Only 1mm of rainfall on the house roof fills the butt! 45 gallons!

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 22:04:07 »
I do a rain dance every night before bed, but it doesn't appear to be helping!! Can't remember the last time we had anything wet  :-\

Can't believe Askham are wasting water on their scratty lawns like that. Friend works for Yorkshire water & they're starting emergency planning apparently. Just in case.

Lots of my stuff still in pots from our recent move & I'm going to start losing plants if we don't get some rain soon. Reluctant to put many veg seeds in, I just can't keep them going. Water butts are running seriously low. Any sign of rain & I'm out there with as many buckets & pans as I can find! Husband is getting tired of me shouting at him for throwing any small amount of water down the drain! Saved the water from the broccoli yesterday.  ::)

Our neighbour spent all afternoon power washing the drive the other day ::)

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 22:06:50 »
power washers dont actually use that much water as I have fed mine from a bucket!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 02:28:47 »
Take ours pleeeeeease  it has rained her almost constantly since last year.We have no crops in and just anklle deep mud on the plots.

We are still waiting for this year to begin.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 07:54:55 »
Ha! Very cleverly decided that it would be much better to go on a water meter. We were on one in our old house & the rates for the new house were about four times the amount per month. .
Are you sure you don't have a leak?
Smile, it confuses people.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 10:23:26 »
Can't even nick the neighbours cos they're on one too! I've still got one water butt with some in, but if we get to the end of that I'll have to just swallow the bill & use the tap. No alternative really. Poor plants.   :(

Not quite.  There are alternatives in addition to the tap.  Washing fruit and veg in a bowl rather the sink and using that.  Putting the plug in the bath tub and then syphoning off shower water (better if a minimum of soap has been used).  Seedlings must have fairly clean water, but established stuff is fine with grey water.

No rain here either and all the verges are brown.  My rain water stores are almost gone too.  And none in the 5 day forecast either.  Who was it that said it rains all the time in Britain ???

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 11:42:05 »
It will rain, when I take holiday later! ::) better not!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 13:13:55 »
It will rain, when I take holiday later! ::) better not!

Tried that, been camping over a bank holiday and everything....

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 14:14:18 »
Well the OH arrived home from sailing soaking wet which wasn't much help, no rain here for 2 months and it's getting very dusty..my friend  refuses to buy a parasol for her garden, she claims the moment she buys one it will rain...I am now resorting to begging and threating to hide her merlot... ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal