Author Topic: Please Miss  (Read 7780 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Please Miss
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 19:32:34 »
Take ours pleeeeeease  it has rained her almost constantly since last year.We have no crops in and just anklle deep mud on the plots.

We are still waiting for this year to begin.

XX Jeannine

Just send some of that rain over here!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 19:42:57 »
We have sun today!!!!!!!!!

Oh eck, we have sun today.... but only forecast for two days then rain for 11.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 19:50:49 »
I save water from sink and bath too  :)

We've got very dusty soil here as everywhere. We had some rain a few night ago though, which was great. But the wind is completely mad at the moment, strange objects are blowing round the streets, and a garden pond shaped like a shell has arrived in my back garden! (Where are the fish?  ??? ;D)

The soil seems to dry faster in strong winds, even plants in containers. Can that be right?  ???

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 20:25:38 »
wind will dry very quickly... Once the surface is dry from wind or sun then I guess it is sucking up or absorbing dampness from below, hence a mulch is always a good idea. I mow the grass and throw a deep layer on my beans when they are about a foot high.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 20:31:16 »
Yes that must be it I suppose, but in containers, once the plants are mature, they don't leave any soil showing, so I wouldn't think to mulch. Maybe my plants need to be in bigger containers...

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 22:23:48 »
Have resorted to running the shower into a bucket while i wait for it to warm up'. Use the 'shower-with-the-plug' in method in the old house but have a shower cubicle in this one & have no wish to flood the hall  ;D

Bit the bullet today & planted as many things as I could into the small bit I've got prepared. They're all far too close but will deal with that later. Installed a soaker hose, membrane & a layer of bark chip. Will have to run it off the tap but have finally come to the conclusion that it's going to be cheaper than replacing everything.  ::)

Joy of joys we have three days of rain forecast & it will only take a small shower to recharge the butts. They drain half the main roof, the garage & car port.

Pigeonseed - plants always dry much much quicker in wind. If I remember correctly it's because the air around the plant can only hold so much water that the plant transpires. If it's windy that air is constantly renewed so there's more potential for the plant to lose water. Warm & windy is about the worst weather for plants, especially if they're only in small pots as the soil won't hold enough water. That's also why your washing dries quicker when it's windy.

Someone will probably come along in a minute & explain that much more scientifically  ;D

admjh1

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 06:19:27 »
Just checked weather for next couple of days and Manchester area( the butt if rain jokes) can expect rain today!! And quite a bit from Monday hopefully should be able to get things out and planted. On my third set of beans ready to go in last two died because of lack of water on the plot. I too have a water meter so have resorted to filling camping bottles up at work but all the hard work transporting to plot doesn't give much when you get there to water so hopefully the next 7 days will allow all our veg and flowers to make a decent start hopefully. ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 18:09:13 »
It's raining in Wigan, not much but it means we don't have to water the outside stuff tomorrow  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 19:26:11 »
It's raining here in Edinburgh too Mal, thank goodness. Lovely to see all the garden greening up! Although no doubt the weeds will be reinvigorated too!!! :o :o ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 20:03:32 »
It's raining here in Edinburgh too Mal, thank goodness. Lovely to see all the garden greening up! Although no doubt the weeds will be reinvigorated too!!! :o :o ::)
I don't care, ;D
 it's still raining, yahoo, I know it means more slugs but we've been taking 15 galls every other day and Ray's back's gone again

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 20:10:28 »
I have been advised by GOD that you will all get some water (rain) this week end.

It depends on how good you have been behaving on how much you will get.

If you wish to get extra supplies please send me cash in a plain envelope and I will do what I can.............

No harm  in trying is there?

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 07:29:10 »
strange objects are blowing round the streets, and a garden pond shaped like a shell has arrived in my back garden! (Where are the fish?  ??? ;D)

Bonus! And a freebie !

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 09:26:38 »
Quite a bit of nice soft rain last night. None of this nasty flash thunderstorm malarky that they're forecasting.

Jeannine I only hope you have a couple of days of sun to compensate! It's only fair!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 10:27:03 »
PH - you are a bad girl!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 20:01:05 »
There are grey clouds on the western horizon :D Pleeze oh pleeze keep on coming. We have desert conditions here, we really do. I don't want PH thinking I'm a bad gel, and I don't want to send her money....... :'(
Smile, it confuses people.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 20:10:46 »
Dark grey cloud overhead. Anyone know a good rain dance?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 21:44:56 »
Cancel the dance, I need to build an ark quick!

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 22:42:12 »
Just started raining here.  1st rain in 2 months.  Just started a weeks holiday.   ::) ::)

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2011, 06:31:50 »
Just started raining here.  1st rain in 2 months.  Just started a weeks holiday.   ::) ::)

Could you take more holidays please Taurus ?  ::)
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2011, 07:32:03 »
1.8mm this morning at Gatwick ;D
1st rain since apr 5th

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal