Author Topic: Sick of bl** dy CATS  (Read 24639 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Sick of bl** dy CATS
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2011, 22:39:16 »
Sad
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2011, 22:47:18 »
I bl**dy love CATS on my lottie.. ;D We feed wild birds on there too and all our neighbours cats are coming for a 'hunt' there. All feeders are well away from cats so no problems there..BUT..having cats laying around stops pigeons wondering around eating my brassicas.. ;D I don't net my plants anymore..other than peas.. ::)
Even my strawberries are left alone.. ;D Everybody elses plots are netted almost all over but mine.
Perrrfect.. ;)

Growing4twins

• Half Acre
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2011, 11:41:46 »
Hey guys, i dnt know if this has already been mentioned as i havent got time to reed the whole thread  the mo.  Ive got problems with my own cats messing on my garden (its a good job i love them!) would urine work as a deterrent like with foxes??  Im sure i could convince Gabriel to wee in a bucket a few times :)
Is loving how the twins are really getting into planting seeds this year!  two for the price of one!! :D http://i46.tinypic.com/zy7ww8.jpg[/img]

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2011, 16:06:21 »
Hey guys, i dnt know if this has already been mentioned as i havent got time to reed the whole thread  the mo.  Ive got problems with my own cats messing on my garden (its a good job i love them!) would urine work as a deterrent like with foxes??  Im sure i could convince Gabriel to wee in a bucket a few times :)

Yes but then your cats would be messing on someone elses garden
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2011, 17:08:41 »
As G4T above, I've no time/great desire? to read all of this thread atm, but wanna ask OwerShirl, please, is there any discontent amongst the lotmenteers on Betty's site? I love that blog of the Allotment Cats and have given the link to others, BUT....where do they (the lotment cats)..errr......go? And is there a faction amongst the lotmenteers who find the cats a b.nuisance because of this? And what do the lotmenteers do to dissuade the cats from cra**ing there?

Me, what I do on my home plots, regularly visited by all the neighbouring cats... Well, I make the places I've sown seeds unattractive/inconvenient to them, isorl, mainly by sowing in lines/blocks and protecting them with 'structures' which get removed when the plants are growing and making height. The cats are free to scratch/crap on uncultivated parts. It's a laissez-faire arrangement which works for us all.

Happy me, happy cats = RESULT 8)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2011, 17:41:52 »
As G4T above, I've no time/great desire? to read all of this thread atm, but wanna ask OwerShirl, please, is there any discontent amongst the lotmenteers on Betty's site? I love that blog of the Allotment Cats and have given the link to others, BUT....where do they (the lotment cats)..errr......go? And is there a faction amongst the lotmenteers who find the cats a b.nuisance because of this? And what do the lotmenteers do to dissuade the cats from cra**ing there?

Me, what I do on my home plots, regularly visited by all the neighbouring cats... Well, I make the places I've sown seeds unattractive/inconvenient to them, isorl, mainly by sowing in lines/blocks and protecting them with 'structures' which get removed when the plants are growing and making height. The cats are free to scratch/crap on uncultivated parts. It's a laissez-faire arrangement which works for us all.

Happy me, happy cats = RESULT 8)

So far only one person has complained that a cat has pooed on her plot.  This plot is near the pavilion where Felix and Janet live.  I told her that I would come and remove the poo if she told me where it was, but I haven't heard any more from her.  I don't think Felix or Janet are still 'going' there because she would have told me. There is a garden area near the pavilion which they both use.

One person has complained that Felix dug his leeks up.  He didn't see him do it but he is convinced it's him.  This man is not happy unless he is moaning about something.

The other four cats live on my plot.  I have an area towards the back which is a mess uncultivated and they tend to go there.  I saw one of them do it on a neighbour's plot and I removed it. None of my neighbours have complained.

Like you, I protect newly-sown areas with sticks or netting till the plants are big enough to survive.

I haven't seen pigeons or rats or mice on my plot for months.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2011, 17:49:53 »
^^ but you're on the site committee, right?   

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2011, 18:09:58 »
What on earth has that got to do with it.

Back to Lishka's question. I have had a small plot on Walsall Rd for about 9 months now and I have yet to see any discontent amongst the plotholders. As far as the cats are concerned Betty looks after all of them.I just do what I can to raise money to help finance any vet bills for Felix the tame cat.
On an allotment with 100 or so plotholders you are bound to get some that are not cat lovers. Some folks don't like dogs. I can assure you that if any plotholder has anything to say about anything then they do so.Our committee is very approachable. Betty is there every morning and we all know that she will be there if we want to go to her with any problems.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 18:35:11 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2011, 18:29:06 »

Well, there have been a couple of posts on this forum that go like this: I crossed someone on the committee and now I'm facing eviction

I'm sure I can repost them if you want.

I am not saying that would happen here.  But it is always a risk if you cross someone on the committee.

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2011, 18:36:37 »
Thanks Shirl and Betty (gotta modify cos I didn't realize that one of the answers was from you, B. Apols)

In my garden I've 3 visiting cats.....scale that up to a lottie of 100 or so sites, and you've got.....???!!! ::)

So I contend that, first, study the cats.....what do they like?...knowing cats, the answer is.....duh! the soft easy option ;D

And then put up a few barriers to that in your soft, easy, oh-so-enticing cultivated area.

It's been a solution that's worked for me, pretty well, but not exceptionally, for years.

So, no, I'm not "sick of bl**dy CATS"

Now squirrels..........
duh!

don't get me started! >:(

PS Janet has a Fan Club, btw. 8)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 18:39:29 by Lishka »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2011, 18:48:51 »
Yes great to be on the committee,Betty and Shirl get rid of all the plothilders who moan about those lovely cats and deny it all.......oh the power LOL :o :o :o

Me I have never understood people who moan about a bit of poo on the plot when you think of everything else that does it on your space ..........this is the reality of growing your own.Perhaps if these things bother you so much you should pop down the supermarket and buy Pre washed packaged veg.

Up the cats  ;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 18:51:05 by betula »

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2011, 18:51:17 »
^^ ah, so you're saying you do get rid of anyone who dares to moan about cats pooing where they are trying to grow food for human consumption?

ROFL

Denial .... to some it's just a river in Africa.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 18:56:44 by DenbyVisitor »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2011, 18:59:50 »
The point is loads of creatures do it all over the plot,mice rats etc that is the reality.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2011, 19:01:02 »
Denbyvisitor, I take exception to your assumption that there is always a  risk of eviction if you "cross" someone on a committee. I don't think so. I sit on several committees and have had many problems over the years with disgruntled folks, so have all committee members. Fair minded  commitee members, and I might add the vast majority I have worked with are, don't hold grudges or use their committee priveleges to retaliate at people, the idea is ludicrous.  The one or two "bent" committree members are not the rule they are defianately the exception so to suggest automatically that to approach one is risking eviction is insulting.  There is not..always a risk as you claim. It is a rarity..a sad one but rare nevertheless. I am surprised to hear anyone suggest "it is always a risk" Most commitee members are hardworking honest folks doing a thankless task free to help others around them, despite the negative comments from the  very few dissidents that won't do the job themselves.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2011, 19:07:03 »
There are committees like that, but hopefully they're few and far between. Given the number of people who visit the site, we're bound to hear about cases, and I do know from experience how unpleasant it can get.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2011, 19:08:40 »

Well, there have been a couple of posts on this forum that go like this: I crossed someone on the committee and now I'm facing eviction

I am not saying that would happen here.  But it is always a risk if you cross someone on the committee.

This could well have happened on other sites but I can assure you that I am not a dictator and despite what you think,  there is absolutely no risk of it happening at Walsall Rd.  You obviously have had bad experiences with committees but I don't think you should generalise about them.

Our committee is very 'open' with the minutes of every meeting displayed on the notice-board for anyone to read.  

Running an allotment site can be quite difficult sometimes.  I don't have any special training or qualifications but I have to deal with different types of problems almost every day.  I have never evicted anyone, let alone a person who disagreed with me.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2011, 19:17:40 »

DV, that's exactly what you are saying and for goodness sake, it's hurtful and utterly groundless.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2011, 19:19:37 »
Betty ,I think your plotholders are very lucky to have such a gracious lady as yourself on their committee. :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2011, 19:20:37 »
Hear Hear XX Jeannine

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2011, 21:19:46 »
I am sorry to offend but it is just not credible that seven feral cats that live on one plot don't crap on other plots or that if they do, the other plotholders are happy with it.

It is rather more likely that other plot holders have decided they have no alternative but to put up with it.  And I can understand why when I see this denial and feigned offence when someone (me) says something you don't want to hear.  What can they do when you are dismissive of their views? 

You only have to look at this thread, even a cat owner doesn't want his own cats fouling his garden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal