Author Topic: Sick of bl** dy CATS  (Read 24635 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Sick of bl** dy CATS
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2011, 07:16:06 »
It may not have been a cat picman.We have seen crows swoop down and take young starlings
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2011, 07:23:12 »
Can you not get the trembler alarms over there, they sense a cat, let out a loud brief animal cry and shoot a jet spray of water in 4 direction for  a few seconds The cats scarper very fast.I t doesn't take many times of being caught that they quit coming.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2011, 08:06:12 »
Code: [Select]
Found a dead bird on the back lawn this morning, a fledgling starling its head ripped offCould be a fox that is to be blamed for that one..

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2011, 08:39:54 »
Magpies decapitate fledglings :(
Jackie

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2011, 08:48:52 »
Other predators kill small birds but it is usually for food and there is only part of the victim left on the ground.

Cats seem to kill for pleasure - you will see a cat lying next to an injured bird enjoying the distress of its parents who can do nothing for it.  Then the cat will lose interest when the prey finally dies.

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2011, 08:59:18 »
From a simple Google search:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/birddeclines.aspx

^^ RSBP estimate that cats kill 55 million birds every year in the UK.  They say that this does not have any impact on the UKs total bird population because of the very high overall mortality rate of birds.  But on certain species already on the decline, it doesn't help.

55 million is a lot of birds though as someone will no doubt point out, it is only one per head of the human population.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2011, 10:13:27 »
I don't have a problem with "wild life" taking a meal, after all this is natures way , our allotment site is next to a nature reserve and we get the pleasure of seeing lots of creatures , I see the cat as just a bored killing machine.

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2011, 16:08:40 »
Someone in my town is killing Cats with antifreeze, The cats like the sweet taste and tell their friends.

over 20 cats have been killed. Apparantly the nesting birds have increased dramatically.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2011, 16:18:32 »
Strangely enough,I dont have a problem with cats when Im up the "plot",I suppose thats because I have my dog with me  ;D

Mind you,they probably have a field day when Im not there  ;D

Not a very clver thing to do with the old antifreeze is it....whoever did it wants castrating.....same happened recently to somones dogs.Apparently they were causing a noise nuisance so some not so kind person decided to throw meat covered in antifreeze over the fence!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2011, 17:55:20 »
Hi I have awful problems with local cats in my garden. I have had to take all my raised beds to my lotty which is only down the road as the cats kept using the beds as litter trays even when covered in fleece etc they just did their business on top of whatever cover I had used :'(
I even had a cat use a large black flower pot. It does drive me mad. i dont know why they dont come on the allotment site but Im sooooooooo glad they dont.
i used to love to have salads growing at my back door in the raised beds but it just isnt worth the risk of cats fowling everything. I really sympathise with anyone who has the same problem.
I dont even bother with flower beds anymore because of it. And every time I cut the grass within a couple of hours a cat has left a nasty deposit...sigh. There are a total of 9 cats in the 3 houses next to me & I dont have any pets so I guess they all use my garden as their toilet :(

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2011, 17:58:50 »
Someone in my town is killing Cats with antifreeze, The cats like the sweet taste and tell their friends.

over 20 cats have been killed. Apparantly the nesting birds have increased dramatically.

Seems like you think this is a good idea Ben!  I hope for your sake you dont condone this cruel act. We all have animals/people that we dont agree with that do things that get our backs up. Heaven help it if the majority of the population took glee in wiping out the animals/people they didnt like/aprove of. Fortunately the majority are more tolerant.-)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2011, 18:04:36 »
The person who is using antifreeze is disgusting, it would worry me further too, anyone who would bew capable of doing such a thing is a danger to folks generally. An aniaml who dies from antifreeze dies a horrible slow agonising death..the person who could do this is capable of anything given the right circumsatnces.. truly shocking.  They should be locked up for a very long time.

I hear what some folks do to animals all the time in the name of protecting their property, hunting,sport shooting etc, it all comes from a sick mind Don't grt me wrong, I have no problem with hunting and fishiing for food, or scaring cats off your garden either if done in a humane way, sadly many other methods are used in the UK that are banned in may other places  The anti freeze is just another example of how a sick mind works.

XX Jeannine.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2011, 18:18:16 »
Code: [Select]
Someone in my town is killing Cats with antifreeze
Pure evil. When these sickos get caught they invariably get let off by the judge if they have kids. They should be banned for life from having responsibility for any sentient being.

Alimo

• Acre
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2011, 18:51:18 »
How very sad that people could do something so cruel.

Alison

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2011, 21:31:11 »
It may be accidental, for instance you often see cats drinking from bird baths and ponds, and you can imagine that someone puts antifreeze in their ornamental water feature over winter and cats drink from it and then acquire a taste.

It's odd that cat lovers deny the damage their pets do to gardens and wild birds then as soon as any harm comes to a cat, they automatically assume that some evil human has harmed their pet.  Why is that?  Just curious.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2011, 09:24:12 »
Antifreeze is poison putting it in  and body of water will kill anything that drinks it, birds, cats,squirerrels or children..this is not an accident .

I am a cat lover, I also believe your cat should be under control.

XX Jeannine

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2011, 09:30:13 »
Just trying to put things into perspective here. With any domestic cat, dog, rabbit etc its down to the resposibility of the owner. If your cat,dog,rabbit etc does damage to a neighbours garden its up to the owner to make ammends ie clear up the mess or replace plants etc. When I had my outdoor cat thats what I would do (most of the time she would use her dirt box inside anyway). I was not so lucky with the dog at the bottom of me (terrified cats, vets bill, broken oraments, ripped curtains, carpets and bedding having to be cleaned and a badly scratched windowsil) My indoor cats were in there own garden when the dog burst through the fence to get at them. The owners were typical low life that actually blamed us and threatened to put a hammer through husbands head!  I dont blame the dog with owners like that the animal had no chance it had no training and was treated very badly by them. The fact they have children concerns me with their example what are the children going to be like later on.? All down to responsibility.
As for cats killing birds.........Yes its sad when any animal dies but its nature after all. Cats originated in Egypt and were reverred for keeping the grain stores rodent free. Dogs were used in hunting.  I have a nature reserve just up the road from me. Plenty of birds there but according to the warden he has never seen a cat over there 'hunting' birds. I suspect 'Garfield' has had his whiskers and is curled up indoors on his favourite chair. ;) Still there are plenty of foxes over the reserve that feast on the birds. There are plenty of foxes in resedential arrears anyway. These foxes also dig up gardens, poo everywhere, urine scent everywhere, knaw fences, plastic pipes and steal things from gardens. They also kill pet rabbits, chickens, ducks, aviary birds and have been known to attack children and adults. Then of course their are the wild birds that sit on the overhead wires and constantly poo on your car,path,washing, and of course the wild rabbits that decimate your crops and flowers and of course the odd heron that flies over and makes off with one of your prize koi carp from your pond. All these creatures 'wild' but still as the laws of nature, hunt for food or fun, poop dig up and decimate crops in your gardens and allotmaments......oh I forgot mice.....but hold on a minute that much alingned creature the cat takes care of them doesnt he?!

But most right minded peole would never consider hurting an animal and long may this way of thinking continue for the hope of mankind.

Ellen K

• Hectare
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2011, 10:13:03 »
^^ QED  :(

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2011, 10:46:13 »
Birds, Cats, Slugs ect.  All there for a purpose to make growing a little more of a challenging to us I am sure.  Most would say I am already challenged  ;D

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2011, 22:20:00 »
well came home early from work this morning (Thursday   work nights ) to find 2 of the pigging things shi**ing in my boarders so with about think I have worked it out to be about £300 worth of none stop begonias to go out in about 2 weeks time, it is going to be all out war to stop them from using my garden and I do not care what i have to do to stop them.
If you want cats keep them fenced in in your own property and if you are not prepared to do that then do not have them.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal