Author Topic: Autumn/Springwatch, Simon King says farewell  (Read 8119 times)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Autumn/Springwatch, Simon King says farewell
« on: October 07, 2010, 21:39:41 »
Simon King has announced his departure from the show, both Spring and Autumnwatch.  I'm sad to see him go, I always find his reports really interesting and entertaining.  Hopefully he'll still be doing lots of other BBC filming and documentaries.  I shall miss him if not!  Still, the S & A watch series will not be the same without him, sigh.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Autumn/Springwatch, Simon King says farewell
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 10:23:57 »
Hmmmm, I'm guessing those interested already knew and I'm behind the times??

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 11:25:55 »
No, I didn't know... and it's sad news for me.  I guess I am not surprised though, now he has a family...  His priorities have probably changed.  I am sure we'll still see him on TV though.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 13:32:35 »
No I didnt know but I'm not surprised either. I think this programme has lost something since the departure of Bill Oddie. I like Chris Packham but not keen on the comedy act with the woman (forgotten her name). I find that guy with the hair and glasses very annoying too. Its all gone a bit dumbed down I think.

Mushy Pea

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 14:26:13 »
No I didnt know but I'm not surprised either. I think this programme has lost something since the departure of Bill Oddie. I like Chris Packham but not keen on the comedy act with the woman (forgotten her name). I find that guy with the hair and glasses very annoying too. Its all gone a bit dumbed down I think.

Too true. It's on at prime time but appears just to be for the kids.  ???

Stopped watching it regulary since Bill left.

MP

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 15:20:45 »
Sam I think that he couldn't commit to eight weeks rather than just the two it used to be. 
I still enjoy watching it for all the wonderful wildlife that's to be seen around the country.  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 20:01:26 »
I agree with what Flighty says.  Simon King wil be traipsing to Africa on Safari watching the Big Cats or someat like that.  8 weeks for autumnwatch is a long time to pay for Simon King as well.  He must be one of the big earners. 

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 21:08:51 »
I enjoy these programmes and will miss Simon King.  I particularly like Kate Humble and prefer Chris Packham to Bill Oddie.  The programme caters for people of all ages and I don't mind them being silly at times as it all adds to the humour.  I couldn't help laughing when they let the starlings out the other night and all hell broke loose in their makeshift studio. 

It's certainly never boring and probably appeals to all ages and, hopefully, will inspire youngsters to take an interest in wild life.   

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 14:26:23 »
Watched it last night but Kate gets on my nerves  ::)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 18:29:26 »
mine too.  I do like the new girl though, cant remember her name.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 19:02:38 »
Sarah do you mean Liz Bonnin who was searching for, and found, Scottish wildcats on last night's programme.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 19:10:56 »
Those were fantastic pictures.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 23:41:45 »
As knowledgable as Kate may be, I find it very hard to listen to her for long periods of time.  She's quite loud and over the top - reminds me of Sarah Greene, didn't like listening to her either!  I do miss Bill Oddie but Chris Packham has been a favourite wildlife presenter of mine for many, many years so I was really excited to see him join the cast.  Even though I know I'll see other documentaries featuring Simon King's work I will miss his SW spot very much as I used to look forward to his reports.

I do agree it's a bit dumbed down now and I'm already losing interest :(  Actually turned the Unsprung off last week (such a misery am I, lol)  

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 09:44:31 »
Yes Flighty I liked her and she sounded enthusiastic and interesting and quite knowledgable. Mind you  I wonder if they really were genuine wildcats.  Good stuff though.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 12:33:46 »
I also nearly wet myself with laughing at the starlings.

But I really like Simon King and will miss his reaports. 

But if they are going to have spring watch for eight weeks I think that is good news.  Not sure I like the guy who fronts the unsprung bit.  Too much of a comedian for the subject.  Seems a bit of a middle aged hurray henry to me.  I would prefer to get rid of him and keep Simon.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 13:10:31 »
The cat misses Simon King - she always got bored when Kate and Bill talked for too long, but always sat and watched Simon.......as well as all the wildlife scenes.
NOt sure what she thinks of Chris as she hasn't watched the programme much this time round ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal