Author Topic: Transplanting Strawberries  (Read 1877 times)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Transplanting Strawberries
« on: October 28, 2004, 09:48:52 »
My new overgrown lottie plot comes with some free strawberries!

They have grown up near the edges of the plot, even in the paths, and they're growing in a part that is overgrown and I will need to dig over. Problem is I may not get around to digging that part over till Jan-Mar next year.

I'd like to try to transplant them, but how? Decent sized pots? Somewhere temporary? And bearing in mind that I haven't even started digging yet how late would be too late to transplant?
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
Re:Transplanting Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 10:13:04 »
Hi Moggle, ;)
                I have no real expertise in your query, but this is what i have just done, I have dug up some runners offered to me by another plot holder  :D .These had good roots & have been planted in a bed covered with black weed suppressing fabric with slits cut into it & the strawbs planted through these. I intend to cover this with horticultural grit to keep them slugs at bay nearer fruiting time. I have also(last week) just received from Ken Muir a dozen pegasus plants which came bare rooted, these have been planted the same way as above & the blurb accompanying the plants says they will fruit next year. :o  by the way I am in the south of the country

cheers Adrian.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 10:19:39 »
Silly me, forgot to mention that the bed where I want them to permanently go will not be dug over until next year either. :-[

So the main thing I want to know is what to do with them till the permanent bed is ready. Sorry to be so vague and misleading with my first post Adrian (for some reason, pegasus strawbs just sound really yummy  :D )
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 11:40:15 by Moggle »
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 23:18:01 »
Moving them every year? I dont think thats right somehow. Replace the plants ever 3 or 4 years yes.

Potting the plants up should be OK Moggle. Choose the youngest/most vigorous plants to replant and compost the old ones to avoid viruses taking hold.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 23:45:58 »
I didn't think it was necessary to move every year, but I do believe you should move them after a couple of years to prevent build up of lurgies and diseases.

Aha, here you go, taken from the HDRA site, yup, you need to include them in your crop rotation.

Organic strawberry production is considered relatively easy in comparison to top fruit. Weed problems can be overcome by mulching with black plastic and straw. Systems of mechanical weeding are being developed to reduce the use of polythene. There are relatively few problems with nutrition, pests and diseases. Grey mould (Botrytis cinerea) is the most common disease and to a lesser extent powdery mildew (Sphaerotheca macularis). Crop rotation is essential to prevent the build up of soil borne diseases but diversification into other crops would be required to achieve this. Adopting this practice requires a major shift in approach for an existing conventional, outdoor strawberry unit. The recommended four year break in strawberry production means that only 20% of the land can be replanted with strawberries each year. Slugs can be a problem in wet areas and can be encouraged by the mulches used for weed control. Pests such as aphids, strawberry blossom weevil and spider mite do not often pose problems for existing organic growers. A possible explanation is that insect predators and parasites are encouraged by habitats such as hedgerows and the almost complete absence of pesticide use on organic units at present
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 23:46:25 by EJ - Emma Jane »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal